Is XP SP 2 screwing with you? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Is XP SP 2 screwing with you?

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 1182 (Unique: 629)
I read that there are known problems with SP2 and some programs like Divx. I'll add other know softs later becuase I cant rember them
I bring this up because I'm curious as to what effects it may have in the OCing and any softs used to benchmark or investigate hardware.
The purpose of this post is to see if anyone has yet determined if any softs are effecting your system or your OCing results.

Please DO NOT Cite the TOS, simply REPORT and DO NOT REPLY or quote it.
"Life is Learning, Learning is Sharing, Sharing is Life"
"Overclocking is like a drug addiction, the difference is we go broke improving our brain cells instead of destroying them!"
Where in the world to buy on-line
Dual or Multi Partition and Why
Everyone, GET Folding, it is important no matter how much you contribute smile.gif
Phenom II should be called Ph II, not a P II because it isn't an old Intel teaching.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 02:49 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 356 (Unique: 194)
well i downloaded SP2 a week ago, and now i cant get administrative acces to the comp, even though im the only user, i think it might be SP2

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 03:16 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 278 (Unique: 169)
I think you guys must have the candidate version. I havent seen on microsofts website anywhere about a official release of SP2.

Blah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 1182 (Unique: 629)
I don't have it yet but a friend w/connections claims he has the offical SP2! I'll get the skinny on it's release if possible. When I find that darn list of known softs that don't like SP2 I'll post em, I do recall there are 4 known progs that have fits w/it. Hmmm I wonder if SP is actually a code name for Software Problems Perhaps it should be MSP M = More Dooowp!

On the Admin thing, did you look to see if it was moved in the Start menu? I'v seen it in 2 different places since the orig. XP came out.

Please DO NOT Cite the TOS, simply REPORT and DO NOT REPLY or quote it.
"Life is Learning, Learning is Sharing, Sharing is Life"
"Overclocking is like a drug addiction, the difference is we go broke improving our brain cells instead of destroying them!"
Where in the world to buy on-line
Dual or Multi Partition and Why
Everyone, GET Folding, it is important no matter how much you contribute smile.gif
Phenom II should be called Ph II, not a P II because it isn't an old Intel teaching.gif

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 10:50 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 243 (Unique: 133)
i wouldnt look forward to it if i were you, knowing microsoft this will probably cause more problems than fix any

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 12:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Why use Service Pack 2, or 1? Im still using XP with no service packs (yeah you can enable USB 2.0 without the SP). Service pack 1 made my system take FOREVER to boot, even after running bootvis. And now hearing about all these issues SP2 has, why use it? It adds a better firewall and some security updates, so what? Those security updates can be downloaded individually, so you can pick and choose them if any screw up your system. Although I must say, back when I was a Windows 2000er, those service packs were always nice, 1-4.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 12:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 61 (Unique: 43)
I am all for trying out new stuff. I dl'ed sp2 and put it on my 1.1ghz intel software test machine.

I never put new updates on my gaming comp umless I see them work on a different comp first.

sp2 has some nice features. You can get the skinny on sp2 from the ms website where you dl it.

I have only been using it for a few hours and I have not noticed any problems yet but it's ms and we know there will be problems

Upgrade complete:evil: new wicked rig is SMOKIN'!!
3500+ s939
eVGA 6800 Ultra..
Msi K8N neo2 Platinum
1 gig GSkill le at 9x275 2.5-3-3-7 at 2.65 vdimm TCCD ROCKS!
WC setup from DangerDen..copper tdx,went back to stock on gpu from nv6800,t-line,DD D4,pro120 hc from d-tek.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 03:28 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 243 (Unique: 133)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaq
Why use Service Pack 2, or 1? Im still using XP with no service packs (yeah you can enable USB 2.0 without the SP). Service pack 1 made my system take FOREVER to boot, even after running bootvis. And now hearing about all these issues SP2 has, why use it? It adds a better firewall and some security updates, so what? Those security updates can be downloaded individually, so you can pick and choose them if any screw up your system. Although I must say, back when I was a Windows 2000er, those service packs were always nice, 1-4.
i thought SP1 came already installed on the XP cd?...it does on mine...

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 03:48 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 278 (Unique: 169)
Probably has a 1st edition pirate like me. lol... I have SP1 installed though.

Blah
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 04:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 61 (Unique: 43)
If you recently bought xp home or pro it comes with sp1 already if it is an older disk it doesn't. MS also put out a free cd that comes with all the security and critical updates so that you do not have to dl them. The disk has everything on it up until feb04 I believe. I got one and it makes installing everything that much faster. The disk is a godsend for those who still have dial-up or are unable to get cable service in their area.

Upgrade complete:evil: new wicked rig is SMOKIN'!!
3500+ s939
eVGA 6800 Ultra..
Msi K8N neo2 Platinum
1 gig GSkill le at 9x275 2.5-3-3-7 at 2.65 vdimm TCCD ROCKS!
WC setup from DangerDen..copper tdx,went back to stock on gpu from nv6800,t-line,DD D4,pro120 hc from d-tek.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in