? about selling my vista home premium 64bit - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

? about selling my vista home premium 64bit

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 257 (Unique: 180)
ok, here's the deal. i just replaced my Evga 680i A1 mobo with the Gigabyte. i was having reboot issues with the Evga. since Evga has a lifetime warrenty on these boards(i believe they do) i plan on RMA'ing the board and getting it replaced. i then was going to sell said board, i'm completey satisfied with the Gigabyte. my question is, can i sell my vista home premium with the board, thats the board that i installed the windows on. the vista is OEM, but since its staying with the mobo it should be able to be sold, right. then the new owner can call microsoft and get it activated, correct? this is how i understood the OEM contract, am i wrong with this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 09:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 28)
I thought you were allowed to move the OEM license if it was down to hardware failure?

When my GigaByte died after two weeks I sent it back to the shop and asked them to give me the current mobo I have now, rang MS, explained the situation and they re-activated it for me.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 257 (Unique: 180)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffa Cakes! View Post
I thought you were allowed to move the OEM license if it was down to hardware failure?

When my GigaByte died after two weeks I sent it back to the shop and asked them to give me the current mobo I have now, rang MS, explained the situation and they re-activated it for me.
thats how i understood it also, but i'm not sure if it changes hands!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 09:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 28)
But surely it would be easier to keep the license and just reactivate it?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 09:55 AM
Some call me... Bifford

As far as I can tell, yes you can. According to the license you may transfer the OS and machine to another person, since MS is defining the motherboard as the "machine" I don't see why not. If Gigabyte were to determine that the board broke for an un-authorized reason (IE extreme overclocking or user misuse) and refused to rma then your OEM license is dead as well. To be sure you are doing the right thing, I would RMA the board and then sell the pair (replaced motherboard from Gigabyte). Which it sounds like you are doing, just make sure you don't sell the broken board and vista and just assume the new owner can replace it themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffa Cakes! View Post
But surely it would be easier to keep the license and just reactivate it?
The license will become invalid as soon as he replaces the motherboard.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 09:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 681 (Unique: 489)
edit: OK, after reading BFRD's post and thinking about it, it is the same as selling a dell or HP to someone else. You are just not including all the other extras (drives, CPU etc.) and since MS defines the PC as the mobo, in their eyes, you are seling a PC with a preinstalled OS.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in