Heres Some Reasons Why Sp2 Sucks! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Heres Some Reasons Why Sp2 Sucks!

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 356 (Unique: 194)
1) CANT PLAY [email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected] WHAT WITH THAT????
2) CAN RARLY GET ONLINE RIGHT WITH FIREFOX!!!!
3) C.O.D RARLY STARTS UP, ALONG WITH BF1942 OR [email protected][email protected][email protected]!
4) SYSTEM WONT LET ME FORMAT MY HARD DRIVE TO GET RID OF THE EVIL SP2!!!!
5) WHEN GAMES DO GET ONLINE OR EVEN START, THEY FREEZE IMMEDIATLY OR THE MOUSE AND KEYBOARD STOP RESPONDING!!!!!
6) KAZAA K++ CANT INITIATE!!!!
7) TAKES EVEN LONGER TO REBOOT!!!
8) ABSOLUTE CRAP "security center" THAT HAS ABSOLUTLY NO POINT!!!
9) I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ELSE, IM JUST PI$$ED OFF NOW!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 09:28 PM
Overclockiit

Rep: 364 (Unique: 216)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmcgrail
1) CANT PLAY [email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected] WHAT WITH THAT????
2) CAN RARLY GET ONLINE RIGHT WITH FIREFOX!!!!
3) C.O.D RARLY STARTS UP, ALONG WITH BF1942 OR [email protected][email protected][email protected]!
4) SYSTEM WONT LET ME FORMAT MY HARD DRIVE TO GET RID OF THE EVIL SP2!!!!
5) WHEN GAMES DO GET ONLINE OR EVEN START, THEY FREEZE IMMEDIATLY OR THE MOUSE AND KEYBOARD STOP RESPONDING!!!!!
6) KAZAA K++ CANT INITIATE!!!!
7) TAKES EVEN LONGER TO REBOOT!!!
8) ABSOLUTE CRAP "security center" THAT HAS ABSOLUTLY NO POINT!!!
9) I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ELSE, IM JUST PI$$ED OFF NOW!!!!!
Yeah i had some of the same problems i use firefox brower also it ownz i recommend that broweser to all and i also had boot problems after installing sp2 so i ended up having to reformate and reinstall my windows to get rid of sp2 and even still im getting blue screen and errors when my pc sits idle for a couple ours or so saying hard disk write error and so forth causing me to have to unplug my hard drive and plug it back in so it will work again so im clueless now on how to fix that error and i have sp1 so i dunno *** happend all was fine till i dl sp2

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 10:13 PM

Dont throw away your XP SP1 discs yet!!!

This should boost harddrive sales
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 07:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 50 (Unique: 39)
Hope this helps...

HALO ISSUE: (this was ripped from a google search)

Compatibility Fix For Halo & Windows XP SP2
Compatibility Fix for Windows XP SP2 and certain 256 MB video cards
Microsoft has identified a potential incompatibility between Halo for PC and Windows XP SP2, on certain high-end video cards, which causes Halo to exit silently to the desktop immedately after launching the program, before the logo movies play. Systems which can get beyond that point are unaffected by this problem, and will not benefit from this fix.

Note: You must patch Halo to the latest version (1.04) before applying this fix. Please download Halo 1.04 from: http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/1...tch1.0-1.04.exe

Microsoft has only seen this problem on computers with an nVidia GeForce 5900, 5950, or ATI X800 video card, and only on certain driver versions, including the nVidia drivers included by default in new installations of Windows XP SP2.

Solution: Microsoft is providing an updated version of a file for Halo which may be installed to fix this problem. Gameplay is otherwise unaffected by this change.

1. It is recommended that you only continue to install this fix if you experience the specific problem noted above.

2. Ensure you have the latest version of Halo (1.04) by running the latest update, (which can be downloaded from: http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/1...ch1.0-1.04.exe), or by checking the version number of the file halo.exe, typically located in C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Games\\Halo. The correct version number is 1.0.4.607.

3. After verifying that you have the correct version, download the new Strings.dll from: http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/7...554/Strings.dll and save it to the location where Halo was installed, typically C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Games\\Halo. When prompted to overwrite the existing file, choose Yes.

4. Launch Halo to verify that it functions as intended. Note that if you see the message "Corrupted Halo.exe", then Halo was not patched to the correct version before applying this update - See step 2 above.

Halo PC fix link: http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/7...554/Strings.dll
Halo CE fix link: http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/downl...ings-haloce.zip (<- will be moved/deleted soon so grab it now)

FORMATTING ISSUE:

Try booting off a CD and format maybe???

LONGER REBOOT TIMES:

I don't have this issue but try defragging with O&O defrag or something else that does a better job than the built in defrag.

SECURITY CENTER ISSUE:

Just disable the Security Center service and you won't get that annoying pop up all the time.

BEING PISSED OFF ISSUE:

Did you expect any less from M$. Get over it like the rest of us have and either reformat or uninstall SP2 or try Googleing a few of the other issues to fix them.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 02:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 25 (Unique: 22)
and also kazaa has lotssss of spyware i stop using that . i had 50 virusus in 1 day and 100 spywares so i reformated and got rid of it.. and far as wsp 2 no problems here.. runs good for me ..

--- DELL WHO --- ALIEN WHAT ---

For NF7-S ver 2> Guide http://www.lvcoyote.com/
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 06:44 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 1182 (Unique: 629)
Darn it, I have a XP SP2 string already ;( and it was growing. Would of been nice to see it all in 1 place

Please DO NOT Cite the TOS, simply REPORT and DO NOT REPLY or quote it.
"Life is Learning, Learning is Sharing, Sharing is Life"
"Overclocking is like a drug addiction, the difference is we go broke improving our brain cells instead of destroying them!"
Where in the world to buy on-line
Dual or Multi Partition and Why
Everyone, GET Folding, it is important no matter how much you contribute smile.gif
Phenom II should be called Ph II, not a P II because it isn't an old Intel teaching.gif

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

ok, i formatted it with partition magic, but now it wont boot, it jsut says "PRESS A KEY TO REBOOT".
I know the guys dont like me sayin this... but i have to... ive got fake XP, and now ppl at the comp stores say i need a legal copy to get it to load, is this true? or is another prob?

...sry for the thing about fake XP guys...

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 03:07 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 15)
Quote:
ok, i formatted it with partition magic, but now it wont boot, it jsut says "PRESS A KEY TO REBOOT".
I know the guys dont like me sayin this... but i have to... ive got fake XP, and now ppl at the comp stores say i need a legal copy to get it to load, is this true? or is another prob?

...sry for the thing about fake XP guys...
waht do u mean by fake? like u have an illegal cd-key or a hacked windows xp version

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

its a ripped copy, from a real CD

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 09:25 AM
Overclockiit

Rep: 364 (Unique: 216)
Quote:
its a ripped copy, from a real CD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in