Windows xp has screwed me - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Windows xp has screwed me

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hello, im new here, well, i've read alot of threads here as well as alot of other forums, as I just built a new computer, and its the first time i have built it myself. So I read lots of reviews and opinions before diving in.

Anyway, I got my nice big shipment from newegg (details in a moment) got it all put together, fired it up for the first time, installed Windows Xp Home OEM, everything worked fine. Got it all setup running everything.

Well today, I was playing around, and installing 3dmark2001 after the install, a windows poped up, telling me that the java virtual machine is no longer available in this session, which I found weird, because I had no reason to even be using it, but it only gave me the option to click ok. Well, I click ok, instantly my computer reboots. It gets all the way, to the xp welcome screen (ya know, before it goes to thwe login screen) then, a blue screen flashes (blue screen of death) has somestuff on it that goes by too fast for me to read, and reboots.. this goes on in a never ending cycle for about 3 times, tried a cold reboot.. nothing.. couldnt get into windows, couldnt get into safe mode, couldnt do anything.

So I figure ok, well, I'll just reinstall windows, (it only took 10 minutes) go through, the setup, format the drive, it starts copying files. A few files will copy, then at about 2% it'll start saying windows couldnt copy a certain file, hit enter to retry, esc to skip, blah blah blah.. I'll hit enter for a few and they'll install, hit esc and skip a few because they just wont install. Then around 10% install the blue screen of death pops up, and says:

Problem detected, windows has shutdown to prevent damage to your hardware, it tells me to boot into safe mode (which obviously, I cant do as its an empty harddrive) then at the bottom it says:

Technical Info:
*** STOP: 0x00007E (0x0000005, 0xf818c271, 0xf8999858, 0xf8999558)
*** ntfssys - address F818C271 base at F814E000 Date Stamp 3d6de5c1

I've been going round and round with this for 3 hours now, I tried windows xp home, and windows xp pro, same problem..

My setup is:
Chaintech NFS3-250 MB
AMD Athlon 64 2800+
Corsair Value Select, DDR400 (2x256)
nVidia GeForce FX 5700 256mb
Western Digital 7200rpm 80gb SATA

I really hope someone can help me, im clueless, and i've gone through about a pack of cigarettes in the last 2 hours

Chaintech NFS3-250 MB
AMD Athlon 64 2800+
nVidia GeForce FX5700
Corsair VS DDR400 (2x256)
Western Digital 7200rpm 80gb SATA HD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 06:33 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 1182 (Unique: 629)
Try F8 and restore to known good settings.

Please DO NOT Cite the TOS, simply REPORT and DO NOT REPLY or quote it.
"Life is Learning, Learning is Sharing, Sharing is Life"
"Overclocking is like a drug addiction, the difference is we go broke improving our brain cells instead of destroying them!"
Where in the world to buy on-line
Dual or Multi Partition and Why
Everyone, GET Folding, it is important no matter how much you contribute smile.gif
Phenom II should be called Ph II, not a P II because it isn't an old Intel teaching.gif

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 06:45 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 1130 (Unique: 519)
Either hard drive or your CD is jacked up, try reformatting in FAT32 instead of NTFS and see if that works, try RMAing your drive

Heh, Computers... sozo.gif
I'm back, yo! Be gentle! biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy
Either hard drive or your CD is jacked up, try reformatting in FAT32 instead of NTFS and see if that works, try RMAing your drive
Well, i've tried 3 different windows cd,s xp pro, xp home, and 2k pro.. all do the same thing. although win 2k gave me a little more info on its blue screen of death. Mentioned a stop error.

As far as trying f8 and restoring last known settings.. I really wish I could do that, but if there isnt a cd in the drive, I dont go past the bios.

gah, this sucks

Chaintech NFS3-250 MB
AMD Athlon 64 2800+
nVidia GeForce FX5700
Corsair VS DDR400 (2x256)
Western Digital 7200rpm 80gb SATA HD

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 07:29 PM
Retired Staff

Did you try formatting the drive in FAT32? that error message seems to say something about an NTFS system management file which could mean bad sectors on your hard drive...

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 07:40 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 354 (Unique: 187)
And you're hitting the F6 ( I think it is) button to "install 3rd pary RAID drivers" (or something like that). Then you put in the floppy w/ your SATA drivers and copying them over. I would download the newest ones.

Also, take out any PCI cards that are not needed, USB cards, modems, network, sound, whatever.

Before trying the reinstall, use western digital's disk tools to try and search & repair any hard drive problems.

Fold for the cure & team 37726!!
H2O cooling: Chevette heatercore, 172mm 258CFM fan, Apogee GT, and Ehiem 1250. Load temp @ 1.45vcore 41C.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 07:56 PM
Overclockiit

Rep: 364 (Unique: 216)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy
I agree but i had that same problem and it turned out to be my cd-rom drive so i had to use my cd/dvd rom drive to install it worked fine from there on i ended up just trashing my cd rom and bought a sony one thank god i have a cd/dvd rom also or i wouldnt have been able to install windows.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 08:42 PM
Retired Staff

come on people! can't anyone here read hexadecimal?

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 09:58 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 278 (Unique: 169)
I just had this problem. Its your ram. Plain and simple. You might think it isnt so try one stick at a time till you get through installation. The stick you get throught the install with is the good one and the other is bad. If they both dont work then try borrowing or if you have some laying around use that and see. I know it sounds weird but its exactly what I experienced and thats what I found out the problem was.

Blah
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 10:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 81 (Unique: 62)
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalphreak
I just had this problem. Its your ram. Plain and simple. You might think it isnt so try one stick at a time till you get through installation. The stick you get throught the install with is the good one and the other is bad. If they both dont work then try borrowing or if you have some laying around use that and see. I know it sounds weird but its exactly what I experienced and thats what I found out the problem was.
yes phreak is right, any blue screen that says 0x0000000000 or similar is always related to a ram issue, you may have bad ram, but we dont know which one, so just replace them. for the most part, everytime it will show a random driver that is preloaded into the memroy. in this case, it kept showing ntfssys so most people thought it was a hard drive. even if you format to FAT32, it will still show that driver, because it is a common item placed in ram.

FOLD for OVERCLOCK.net! GO TEAM! #37726

ADD ME A REP IF I HELPED YOU!

The X-Factor of AMD vs. Intel eXplained
headphone.gif
Silence Your Fans and Reduce Dust Without Undervoltingheadphone.gif

L00K at my RIG and COmment!
<<<<<<

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in