Convert VMWare Virtual Machine to Physical Machine - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Convert VMWare Virtual Machine to Physical Machine

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 101 (Unique: 94)
I know, sounds ********. I have a VMWare machine, with Windows Vista Ultimate, and I'm configuring it and so, and I was wondering, is there a way to convert this image into a physical image? Like an image I can extract to put on another computer, lets say, a new one? Though, I already think the answer is no, due to the bootloader, etc., but a guy can hope no? Or maybe a workaround could be to install a backup software into the virtual machine, create a backup recovery disk, and install on a new machine through that?

I'm Mike D. and I get respect, your cash and your jewelry is what I expect.

My Car: '02 Pewter Chevrolet Camaro 3.8L V6 - January 2, 2012: 150,000mi

Please JOIN: THE CHEVY Owners CLUB!!!
Please JOIN: The Mercedes-Benz Owners Club!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 06:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 38 (Unique: 34)
I know the reverse if possible (controlling a second boot from withing VMWare), but a quick Google gives no results for what you ask. That's never promising, as Google knows all.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

That's exactly why I posted here, because Google turned up nothing. I got the reverse like you mention, physical to virtual, but they should at least make something. If only I knew how to do crazy stuff like that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 12:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 17)
Not sure if I understood right, you have a V-machine and you want to make it physical?
Well, VM-ware saves the 'disk' to a disk image, so you need to find some sort of software that can deal with whatever filetype that is.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can read binary, those that can't, and those that can read trinary wink.gif
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 394 (Unique: 251)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanresourceful View Post
I know, sounds ********. I have a VMWare machine, with Windows Vista Ultimate, and I'm configuring it and so, and I was wondering, is there a way to convert this image into a physical image? Like an image I can extract to put on another computer, lets say, a new one? Though, I already think the answer is no, due to the bootloader, etc., but a guy can hope no? Or maybe a workaround could be to install a backup software into the virtual machine, create a backup recovery disk, and install on a new machine through that?
Cubanresourceful, you could grab a ghost image of your virtual and then copy the ghost file over to a external device/network device and then run Norton Ghost and image the physical with that ghost file. Only down side to that is you'll most likely run into conflicts with drivers ect.

We've ran into this problem before at work and I believe we ran Norton Backup Exec System Recovery. It's not cheap though.

The other way around from physical to virtual (P2V) is much easier

Hope that helps

Terms of Service

Originally Posted by txtmstrjoe:
"Steppings merely indicate possible outcomes due to the law of averages being in your favor."
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by thlnk3r View Post
Cubanresourceful, you could grab a ghost image of your virtual and then copy the ghost file over to a external device/network device and then run Norton Ghost and image the physical with that ghost file. Only down side to that is you'll most likely run into conflicts with drivers ect.

We've ran into this problem before at work and I believe we ran Norton Backup Exec System Recovery. It's not cheap though.

The other way around from physical to virtual (P2V) is much easier

Hope that helps
Thank you all for all of your wonderful answers, +1 to everyone who helped. I'll look into the Ghost, but seeing how your probably right about drivers, a clean install would probably be better.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 08:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I think you can do this with Vizioncore vConverter:
http://www.vizioncore.com/products/vConverter/
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 08:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 354 (Unique: 289)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanresourceful View Post
Yes vmware has utilities to convert a vm to a physical machine and vice versa, however they are not free.

Edit: lol I just noticed this thread is way old, like august, pretty sure he's moved on since then.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in