tweaking vista for faster booting and operation - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

tweaking vista for faster booting and operation

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 98 (Unique: 83)
In my case the following made it so my vista boots to desktop within 15-18 seconds from windows loading screen, IE8 runs smooth and fast, games run great anyways, and its generally improved my experience. If anyone else has ideas please share them.

1) Type "msconfig" into the search bar on the start menu, go to "startup" uncheck everything you dont need, the only thing in my case that I run on startup is: Windows Operating System, Avast, Logitech setpoint, Realtek audio manager, windows defender, wmpnscng and Nothing more. Startup programs only slow things down always look at this msconfig after you have installed most things, because they do tend to add things to startup you do not require, and can be opened once you actually need them.

2) After Installing all your drivers, programs, games, other tools & utilities - Run JKdefrag - http://www.kessels.com/Jkdefrag/ let this run, it will take around an hour on average. Reboot afterwards.

3) Disable useless features through control panel -> programs & features: Tablet PC Optional Components, Windows Meeting space.

4) IE8 RC download this its rather fast. I disabled the following: Feeds & Webslices - Everything under "Advanced" uncheck, change the update above it to "1 week." Reduce the history keep time to 2-3 days under Browsing History Settings, Temporary Internet files reduce to around 100mb or less.
Accelerators disable: Under search "settings" I disabled everything except: Live Search and Windows Live Email.

5) I also followed this guide for a cool new look, performance im not sure it effects but still http://www.windows7buzz.com/install-...-on-vista.html

anyone with tips please do not hesitate to add to this.

I'd rather build something to be proud of. Build a system that is my own. Acquire upgrades and peripherals in my own time. Enjoy my creation as it evolves.STEAM ID: KPAkillerOrigin ID: KPAkiller[URL="http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2039900"]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 06:38 AM
Not new to Overclock.net

Rep: 6214 (Unique: 3521)
I like what you did, however it is much better to use Services.msc.

Give this site a shot: http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

I used his suggestions for XP services, and thanks to what I learned, I have finally gotten to the point where I cannot disable even ONE service, no matter what it is, or else something will "break", depending on what I disable.

Loneliness is a good thing to share with someone.

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.
CPU
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage)
Motherboard
ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850)
GPU
MSI GTX 1070 Ti Gaming Titanium 8G
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9
Hard Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (OS)
Hard Drive
3 TB Toshiba P300 (D: drive)
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x
Cooling
Thermaltake Frio
Case
CM 690
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC)
Keyboard
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO
Mouse
Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate
Mousepad
It's just a mousepad
Audio
X-Fi Titanium HD
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable speaker wires)
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 98 (Unique: 83)
http://www.winvistaclub.com/Ultimate...s_Tweaker.html download this just found it, can change UAC rules in vista, a little like windows 7 can, but it also has about 150 tweaks you can play with

The UAC control on that tweaker works a charm, I set to to level 2, only notify me when non-admins try to install software or change comp settings, the popup is elevated for admins meaning you can change stuff and install stuff without that uac popping up, but it is still enabled for non-admin users, changed the speed for shutdowns and all the other dials to 1/2 way along the dial, enabled check boxes instead of having to use ctrl to get multiple files highlighted, removed shortcut arrows on their icons, and disabled few other useless stuff. let me know how well it works for everyone else

I'd rather build something to be proud of. Build a system that is my own. Acquire upgrades and peripherals in my own time. Enjoy my creation as it evolves.STEAM ID: KPAkillerOrigin ID: KPAkiller[URL="http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2039900"]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Not new to Overclock.net

Rep: 6214 (Unique: 3521)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschisholm View Post
http://www.winvistaclub.com/Ultimate...s_Tweaker.html download this just found it, can change UAC rules in vista, a little like windows 7 can, but it also has about 150 tweaks you can play with

The UAC control on that tweaker works a charm, I set to to level 2, only notify me when non-admins try to install software or change comp settings, the popup is elevated for admins meaning you can change stuff and install stuff without that uac popping up, but it is still enabled for non-admin users, changed the speed for shutdowns and all the other dials to 1/2 way along the dial, enabled check boxes instead of having to use ctrl to get multiple files highlighted, removed shortcut arrows on their icons, and disabled few other useless stuff. let me know how well it works for everyone else
Speaking of using CTRL, try adding Shift and also using Shift by itself.

Loneliness is a good thing to share with someone.

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.
CPU
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage)
Motherboard
ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850)
GPU
MSI GTX 1070 Ti Gaming Titanium 8G
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9
Hard Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (OS)
Hard Drive
3 TB Toshiba P300 (D: drive)
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x
Cooling
Thermaltake Frio
Case
CM 690
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC)
Keyboard
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO
Mouse
Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate
Mousepad
It's just a mousepad
Audio
X-Fi Titanium HD
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable speaker wires)
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 02:13 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 61 (Unique: 58)
The Tweaker program would be my suggestion if you find the OP's steps confusing or are not a advanced user.

I already have most of those steps done, but most of the startup programs I have are needed about 5 minutes into my day. Of course, my startup time from cold boot is about 2-3 minutes rather than 20 seconds.

Acreo Aeneas
Click for hilarious quotes (Click to show)Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlankThis
I miss the old days of sweet tagging...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodofGrunts go_quote.gif
Blank man, I read over this quickly and I saw, "I miss the sweaty old days of tea bagging."
I was like, "Lol wut?"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in