Healia HC 500 - Low temp performance - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Healia HC 500 - Low temp performance

Old 02-03-2019, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
nrpeyton Level 1

Healia HC 500 - Low temp performance

Hi guys,

I've read stuff (+ seen youtube video) of people modifying old parts off Air Con systems. And getting to -25c easily. Even in the video by Linus his setup uses an open-top Walmart cool-box for gods sake!

Now compare that to my big 1/2 horse power Hailea HC-500 (stands about 1m tall). Just looking at it -- it's massively sturdy compared to those setups. It's also dedicated. And it's fairly loud.

I've looked at the back of huge big 5 metre long open-door freezer cabinets in supermarkets and the compressors in those aren't any bigger (or quieter) than what I've got here in my Hailea.

I mean lets put it into perspective -- out of ALL the Aquarium Water Chillers that Hailea do -- it's almost their 2nd biggest model.

I'm also hearing a lot of stories about people who have "older" units (some less powerful) that also seem to perform much better at lower temperatures. My Hailea performs great at high temperatures (seems to easily boast the 800 watts of cooling power it claims).

But below 13-14c the drop is sluggish! Below 6c I am lucky to get 100w. (Even at 12c it only seems to do about 400 watts of cooling from CPU+GPU)! At full load it won't go below 12-14c!

Anyway --- Why the lack of power? How does Linus's makeshift cool-box setup + other setups all seem to out-perform at low temps?

Is it due to the gas?? (refrigerant)??

The modern model like mine uses R134a (more environmentally friendly) but boiling point is only -26c. Compared to older models running on R22 (which I think is about -47c). Is that the reason? If so is there a work-around? is there a way I could modify my Chiller to perform better?

My unit is worth over £400 (thats 600 U.S dollars +).

Thanks, any help anyone can provide would be so much appreciated!

P.S.

Here's my video of my Chiller when I modified it to bypass thermostat for Sub-zero (had to run with ZERO load on my 1080 and only got to about -8c idling). The CPU was on dice.:

Nick Peyton

Last edited by nrpeyton; 02-03-2019 at 01:46 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in