[Build Log] ROG-BOX - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] ROG-BOX

post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 163 (Unique: 133)
As this isn't a computer, nor a case mod, I thought it best to post it here. I started this idea after seeing other Kanukians using makeshift ideas to utilise our great outdoors. With winters bringing in nice cold (freezing would be more appropriate) weather, why not take advantage of a 24/7 solution that requires nothing more than a rad pump and a bunch of other expensive stuffz?

So I started out vizualizing what I needed and how I was going to go about this. I needed a structure, and parts. The structure started out first, and I had my first iteration. which gave me something like this. It would be mounted in a window with zip-seal all around and have a small part of it sticking out with the majority within the house (or bunk where I live).

Linky

After about two weeks of shifting and prodding, I settled with the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid). Which normally works out pretty good for you in life. I cam up with a smaller version that fit in a door window, and it was easier to make. It also would use all the components but less tubing and wood work required. This was around Sept. IIRC.

Linky

Well the structure is now in it's final phases. I just need to paint the sucker on the inside (black) as I've coated it with outdoor paint (oil) that will help against rotting. I've also added my touch with tape (first draw, I'll use masking tape when I paint it).

Front (basically outside part)

Where the radiator will be sitting with the holes to pass tubes and fan wires

Bottom

Inside, where the Pump res and HXP's will be.

I found Fans that will operate in the -40C range and are sealed against water infiltration, which is a bonus as most fans operate in the max -10C.

I'm in talks to get MEG (Mono Ethynol Glycol) from a supplier, but it seems to be hard to find in smaller quantities.

I have found a sure source of DI water that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg up north.

All I need now is the parts to put in the box, I was however looking on OCN. Not much in terms of used pumps and rads. So I may buy everything new.

Comments and critisim welcome!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Ohh, and if someone is going to mention condensation, the current temp within the puter is 24C. Humidity is at 9%. I will be controlling the outside fans and pump with temp sensors to make sure the water temp within the computer loops stays above dew points.

I should, however, add that the water basins have yet to freeze over. Current Humidity "outside" is at 50%, while within the room I'm sitting at 21%. And ambients are at 22C. Once those water basins freeze over I will see a 30% humidity drop outside and a good 5-10% inside. Meaning dew point will be lowered.

I've also accounted for the inevitable, The cold water will be passing through the rads (fans off). If I drop the iquid too low I will be powering on the fans (which are pulling air into the case) to lower the ambients within the case. Nothing is air cooled, I have blocks on every piece of equipment.

post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 08:07 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 153 (Unique: 126)

i am so subbed for this. I had to look on google maps and the map was white, I was expecting hawaii for some really strange reason..

How cold does it get there?

What flow rate are you looking to achieve and what's the distance of the window box to the computer?

edit: something i don't quiet understand, just 1 rad? parts?

how are you insulating?

Is this acting as an exhast or inake? are there compartments?

Currently on Hiatus
1nf3ction is a BOSS!
BF3 id: Nocturin3
Disclaimer: IMHO; If you take it otherwise, your doing it wrong.
#OccupyAMD

Warnig: lulz (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by axipher go_quote.gif

That's a good questions, my 3 female room mates use the bathroom upstairs, I just use the shower downstairs, we might have to use the trunk of my car instead, I know that's sterile and has rubber mats and walls in it haha.
Also, more updates biggrin.gif We need to keep this thread somewhat on topic haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsdude go_quote.gif

Yo dawg I heard you like computers in computers so we put a computer in your computer so you can use your computer while...thumb.gif
go_quote.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturin View Post

i am so subbed for this. I had to look on google maps and the map was white, I was expecting hawaii for some really strange reason..

How cold does it get there?

What flow rate are you looking to achieve and what's the distance of the window box to the computer?

edit: something i don't quiet understand, just 1 rad? parts?

how are you insulating?

Is this acting as an exhast or inake? are there compartments?

It can go to almost -50C here in January.

About 4 to 5LPM, there will be only three restrictive parts within the window box (the two HXP-193's and the BI GTX or AMS CU rad). At -50C, I don't need more rad, and I am not intending to use this for subzero cooling. More on the lines of a heat exchanger. You see that white map you saw is a camp, and I basically live there most of the time. The room I'm in is quite small, so heat builds up fast and I am forced to open the door after about two or three hours of intense gaming because of heat (28C ambient). That means opening the door at -50 for a couple minutes... not very enjoyable. The point of the box is to dissipate the heat outside the room, hence only a 240mm.

The box will be a separate loops as I am putting propylene glycol in it and keeping my DI water inside the puter. The total distance is about a foot, and about two feet of tubing between the puter and the HXP's.

There are compartments, where you see the rad hole; there's an intake at the bottom (open wide). The three holes you see will be to route cables for fans and tubes from outside. I will be sealing it up with ZIP-seal to prevent cold air from coming into the room. The inside (where ROG is written) is where the pump, res and HXP's will reside. I'll have in line temp sensors and displays on the in (cold loop) and out (computer loop) of the HXP's. The pump is a vario, so I can tone down flow and fans to reduce cooling, or up them if I'm benching or folding...

Any other questions, feel free!! =P

post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 06:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 292 (Unique: 245)
damn you live in the middle of nowhere.

that said, its probably a great place to keep your PC cold lol

I like overclocking more than actually playing video games.
i7 930 5.3GHz!!!!!---->proof.gifQ6600 4.7GHz!!!!!---->proof.gif
E8500 5.8GHz!!!!!---->proof.gif
Core i5 660 ES 5.9GHz!!!!!---->proof.gif

post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by wumpus View Post

damn you live in the middle of nowhere.
that said, its probably a great place to keep your PC cold lol

Sure is. I'll be ordering as soon as Mark from frozen cpu can get me the special fans, he's still trying to open an account. I'm in no rush though, probably when I get back from vaca in January I'll get it shipped up.

post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Here's my current shopping cart, missing the fans.

post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 04:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 55 (Unique: 51)
Sounds fun! I am hoping to see how this turns out!

Attention! I have had my username changed from Thermaltake, to Grath. I am the same person, just a different username.

Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 4.25Ghz
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2131275
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_chemist21 go_quote.gif

well this is OCN if its to easy it's really not worth it thumb.gif
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Well my special mix from Mayhems is now on it's merry way (I have enough for about two full system flushes.). Still waiting on Frozencpu for the fans, but if it doesn't pan out I did find the fans at Coolerguys.com. Just need to wait and see.

I'll be ordering after I finish all my X-mas shopping, this year is starting to be expensive!!!! =P

I did paint the inside of the ROG-BOX, and the lettering didn't come out like I wanted; it's nice anyways. =P

I'll post pictures later tonight.

post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

So I've change my mind. I'm keeping the change a surprise for those interested. But it won't be heat plate exhangers, rather another means of controlling temps. Stay tuned as this is going to be utterly crazy!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in