Car ac radiator and extreme over clocking question - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Car ac radiator and extreme over clocking question

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 12:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
At the very least I'd get a cheapo block from aliexpress or similar. Something actually made to be fit to a CPU would be ideal and wouldn't cost much more. There is little performance difference between cheap chinese CPU blocks and expensive ones but make sure you get one with some sort of channels over the CPU.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 09:27 AM
Hardware Princess

Rep: 25 (Unique: 22)
A car radiator will work fine. Only real issue is the inlet/outlet are pretty big so you may need a big pump to move water effectively as well as some sort of adapter. Also most car radiators are aluminum which would cause issues with copper/nickel blocks.

Not sure I'd recommend doing it though, the coldest you can cool your water down to is room temperature. Regular PC radiators can get you very close to that, easily.

CHILLER DESTRUCTION
Build Log - White Voodoo
Z390 Station
(11 items)
White Voodoo
(14 items)
CPU
9900K @ 5.4 1.50v
Motherboard
EVGA Z390 Dark
GPU
Titan RTX 2085/8500
RAM
Trident Z 3200c14 @ 4133c16 1.5v
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250gb
Power Supply
ancient silverstone 1200
Cooling
HWLabs GTX 360 Rad (in RED)
Cooling
3x EK Vardar 120mm 2200rpm Fans
Case
Dimastech Test Bench
Monitor
AOC Agon AG251FZ 240Hz
Audio
Built-in Monitor Speakers (3 watt)
CPU
Intel Core i9-7980XE @ 4.3 GHz 1.10v
Motherboard
Asus Rampage VI Apex
GPU
Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080 Ti SLI 2037/6318 1.09V
RAM
Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 3200C14 @ 3800C16 1.50V
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA 1600 T2
Cooling
HWLabs Nemesis GTR 420+280 Rads
Cooling
(7) Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM Fans
Cooling
EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM
Case
LD Cooling PC-V7 280/420
Operating System
Windows 10 LTSB
Operating System
Linux Mint 19.1
Monitor
NEC PA271W 2560x1440
Keyboard
Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2
CPU
Dual Intel Xeon L5520 2.26 GHz
RAM
48 GB Samsung DDR3-1066
Hard Drive
120 GB Samsung 750 Evo SSD
Hard Drive
2 TB Western Digital Green
Hard Drive
2 TB Hitachi 7200 RPM
Power Supply
650W Delta PSU
Case
1U Rackmount
Operating System
Ubuntu Server 16.04
▲ hide details ▲
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 10)
I was looking for daily use and to see what that setup was capable of.

I was zapped out by the time I listed the waterblock, I will def get something else. I really wouldn't want to replace the water pump over and over. "140 dollars full custom loop." Yeah but after looking at how easy it is to make your own oversized reservoir\radiator\fan setup.... The prices for tiny little radiator\res look like a joke.

Supposedly car ac radiators are usually copper.

If I do plan to tinker, I will get a reliable pump\water block. If it's not to hard on the pump Ill run it up to the attic to reduce noise\heat in my apt. Or closet. Regular pc Radiator\Fan\Res seem waaay over priced. They assume I care about having all my components inside my case. I can do better.

p.s. That liquid cooling system I brought premade in my first post failed in the first week and almost killed my rig (pump). I had to ship it back to get a replacement.

Last edited by treetops422; 03-24-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 12:00 AM
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.

Rep: 114 (Unique: 79)
Quote: Originally Posted by treetops422 View Post
I was looking for daily use and to see what that setup was capable of.

I was zapped out by the time I listed the waterblock, I will def get something else. I really wouldn't want to replace the water pump over and over. "140 dollars full custom loop." Yeah but after looking at how easy it is to make your own oversized reservoir\radiator\fan setup.... The prices for tiny little radiator\res look like a joke.

Supposedly car ac radiators are usually copper.

If I do plan to tinker, I will get a reliable pump\water block. If it's not to hard on the pump Ill run it up to the attic to reduce noise\heat in my apt. Or closet. Regular pc Radiator\Fan\Res seem waaay over priced. They assume I care about having all my components inside my case. I can do better.

p.s. That liquid cooling system I brought premade in my first post failed in the first week and almost killed my rig (pump). I had to ship it back to get a replacement.
Ya the Rez, and rads and fans, if you dont care what they look like ect, go ham. The pump, and Block I would not skimp out on.

the biggest concern with the CPU block, Temps aside is the fact if that leaks, your system is KO. That is the last thing you want to start gushing water, you can get ray storms and such pretty cheap these days, its honestly worth it for the peace of mind alone. Same with pump, the risk of failure could be a problem. If the res leaks, its not a biggie, shoot I break resovoirs all the time, and fixn them with hot glue bwhahaha. However, I live by the motto there is some things you just dont cheap out on. Pumps, Blocks, and Power Supply's fall in that boat. Not to say thats fool proof, I have seen nice blocks leak, and have had a Corsair PSU catch on fire on me (luckily I was there, beside it when it happened, it literally caught on fire, after frying some cathodes and some Hard drives), so stuff still can happen, just minimizing risks.

That all said, I think you are going to find Car AC rads are not as cheap as you think. They are about the same price as our rads in that size range, look at heater-cores, thats a 120/140 rad at best, they are 40 dollars and so is a WC rad.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...343/18820061-P (pretty sure thats Alu)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/B-RD...896772932.html 31 dollars, 140mm rad.

There is a reason we swicthed to pc fans, mostly to mount in the case, but for more optimal surface are nothing not hit by a fan and improved on pc rads for our needs over the years. Their is actually a lot of R&D that has went into improving our hobby.

I still think after finding the rad, adapting the fittings, getting a good pump and block, building all this and making it work, Material and Time invested, an EK fluid gaming kit would have been cheaper.

My siggy so empty frown.gif
Favorite OCN Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakusonfire go_quote.gif

You are just talking more and more nonsense now. It's time to take this back to whatever noob forum it came from.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited by Cyber Locc; 03-29-2019 at 12:09 AM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 12:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 9)
Let's look at the design difference.
A PC cooler is built for a smaller scale. The fins and coils are close together, designed to be cooled by a small fan.
A car radiator has its fins and coils a ways apart. It is designed to let a lot of air pass through it.
Most car radiator are bigger than your PC; a house fan like a 20 inch box fan would work well with one. It is possable to make a system like this that doesnt look ghetto, but it will take quite a bit of work. And will not fit in your PC case.

A car radiator can be used to cool a PC, but that is not what it was designed to do. There are better choices out there that are more efficient, easier to use, cheaper, and more closely fit this application.

How to Solder Electronics
How to fix Heat Problems
GPU and CPU Power Connections
**The Official Intel Core i7-2600K Owners Club**
I wrote the above articles a while back, but they got deleted by Admin for some reason.

Last edited by Luke Cool; 04-08-2019 at 12:45 AM.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 12:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
You don't need to run a car radiator.

What you need is a junk refrigeration condenser and included fan. They are small and have very powerful fans. You then get 10-15m of pipe i use 6mm ID and mount the fan and condensor unit outside. A single d5 will be able to push that far but i use dual d5 in series. I guarantee you that this setup will outperform any overkill internal mounted setup and be silent.

I now run a hailea 1000a 1hp water chiller in place of the setup above.

If you want advice pm me.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:07 PM

This is now done already . You can view and have some useful information for your project .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in