Positive vs negative pressure - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Positive vs negative pressure

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 02:15 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
8051's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,923
Rep: 25 (Unique: 19)
Quote: Originally Posted by cezzey View Post

No components will be water-cooled so im asking on opinions and advices. The case will be airtight so no dust will get in through any cracks if i decide on negative pressure with passive filtered intake.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk
An airtight mass produced computer case is practically a fantasy. There are no seals, no gaskets, loose tolerances and insufficient mating pressure between surfaces to create an airtight environment. Industrial computer enclosures are another matter entirely.
8051 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 02:56 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Cyberats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 6
Rep: 0
My advice, ignore any and all fancy, name brand, fashion fans (especially Noctua) that are "silent", fans have only one function - cooling. Look for [email protected] only, I found a pretty good industrial one I installed as negative pressure, though liquid cooled CPU, to vent off some of the crossfire dual GPU heat primarily. GPUs idle at 30C won't pass 65C on load, CPU idle reports 20C but I think it's erroneous somehow.
Like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/HIGHFINE-4000...4330097&sr=8-1
Cyberats is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 01:11 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
8051's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,923
Rep: 25 (Unique: 19)
Quote: Originally Posted by Cyberats View Post
My advice, ignore any and all fancy, name brand, fashion fans (especially Noctua) that are "silent", fans have only one function - cooling. Look for [email protected] only, I found a pretty good industrial one I installed as negative pressure, though liquid cooled CPU, to vent off some of the crossfire dual GPU heat primarily. GPUs idle at 30C won't pass 65C on load, CPU idle reports 20C but I think it's erroneous somehow.
Like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/HIGHFINE-4000...4330097&sr=8-1
Loud and proud always works for cooling fans.
8051 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 9
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by 8051 View Post
An airtight mass produced computer case is practically a fantasy. There are no seals, no gaskets, loose tolerances and insufficient mating pressure between surfaces to create an airtight environment. Industrial computer enclosures are another matter entirely.
I'll be making a custom case from the scratch, intend to seal it well if i go for negative pressure

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk
cezzey is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 03:45 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
8051's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,923
Rep: 25 (Unique: 19)
I'd love to see anyone prove they actually have positive case pressure inside any non-custom-built-industrial PC case. As Doyll has pointed out numerous times before even the most powerful 12V axial fans have very little static pressure -- and static pressure is what you would need to pressurize a case. Even if a case were sealed w/gaskets and the necessary mating pressure to make the gaskets work, I doubt 12V DC axial fans have the necessary static pressure to raise the interior pressure to anything measurable.
8051 is offline  
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 04:31 AM
Hardware Princess
 
Hydroplane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 1,721
Rep: 31 (Unique: 26)
In theory negative pressure ensures that the air in your case is always at room temp

CHILLER DESTRUCTION
Build Log - White Voodoo
Z390 Station
(11 items)
White Voodoo
(15 items)
CPU
9900K @ 5.4 1.50v
Motherboard
EVGA Z390 Dark
GPU
Titan RTX 2085/8500
RAM
Trident Z 3200c14 @ 4133c16 1.5v
Hard Drive
970 Evo Plus 250gb
Power Supply
silverstone 1200 from 2008 (other one exploded)
Cooling
HWLabs GTX 360 Rad (in RED)
Cooling
3x EK Vader 120mm 2200rpm Fans
Case
Dimastech Test Bench
Monitor
AOC Agon AG251FZ 240Hz
Audio
Built-in Monitor Speakers (3 watt)
CPU
7980XE @ 4.3 GHz 1.10v
Motherboard
Asus Rampage VI Apex
GPU
2 x Aorus Waterforce WB 1080 Ti @ 2037/6318
RAM
Trident Z 16gb 3200c14 @ 3800c16 1.50V (the other two sticks were sacrificed)
Hard Drive
960 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA 1600 T2
Cooling
HWLabs GTR 420+280 Rads
Cooling
7 x Noctua Industrial 140mm 3000 RPM Fans
Cooling
EK D5 Pump/Res (with RGB!)
Case
LD Cooling PC-V7
Operating System
Windows 10 LTSB
Monitor
NEC PA271W
Keyboard
Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2
Mouse
Logitech M510
Mousepad
anime tiddy mousepad
CPU
Dual Intel Xeon L5520 2.26 GHz
RAM
48 GB Samsung DDR3-1066
Hard Drive
120 GB Samsung 750 Evo SSD
Hard Drive
2 TB Western Digital Green
Hard Drive
2 TB Hitachi 7200 RPM
Power Supply
650W Delta PSU
Case
1U Rackmount
Operating System
Ubuntu Server 16.04
▲ hide details ▲
Hydroplane is offline  
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 01:00 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
TeslaHUN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 367
Rep: 20 (Unique: 18)
Quote: Originally Posted by 8051 View Post
I'd love to see anyone prove they actually have positive case pressure inside any non-custom-built-industrial PC case. As Doyll has pointed out numerous times before even the most powerful 12V axial fans have very little static pressure -- and static pressure is what you would need to pressurize a case. Even if a case were sealed w/gaskets and the necessary mating pressure to make the gaskets work, I doubt 12V DC axial fans have the necessary static pressure to raise the interior pressure to anything measurable.
Here ,positive pressure proof with smoke You can try the same at home , and bonus your room will smell good xd
TeslaHUN is offline  
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 04:22 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
drewafx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 127
Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Computer axial fans don't really generate pressure (especially at quiet noise level)
Negative pressure pulls in air at a low speed, so dust settles inside pc a lot faster, but flow is mostly laminar and air spends the least amount of time in the case since it's extracted out like magnet
Positive pressure pulls in air at high speed, but flow inside case is turbulent and can be stagnant (formation of hot spots)
So the best case scenario is balanced in/out for fast air intake flow to reduce dust settlement and exhaust fans that pulls those out of the case asap for better case temperature.
I'd use a centrifugal fan for high positive intake pressure to overcome intake filter resistance and turbulent mixing of fresh/stale air within the case, blower fan for overcoming heatsink/radiators resistance, and axial fan for high exhaust flow
but this is just ideal theory and requires custom power/pwm module as well...
drewafx is online now  
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 01:08 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
8051's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,923
Rep: 25 (Unique: 19)
Quote: Originally Posted by TeslaHUN View Post
Here ,positive pressure proof with smoke You can try the same at home , and bonus your room will smell good xd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a12aDCxrcts
That proves nothing. Air flow is not pressure. You measure pressure w/a barometer or manometer not smoke.
8051 is offline  
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 12:40 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
StAndrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 194
Rep: 13 (Unique: 9)
Quote: Originally Posted by Hydroplane View Post
In theory negative pressure ensures that the air in your case is always at room temp
You'll have to explain this theory to me...

Asus Prime Z370, Intel 8700k @5.0Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB @3400 CL14, Watercooling: x2 MCP355 pumps, x1 280 on front of case, x1 360 on top of case, x1 140 on back of case, x1 240 on bottom of case
StAndrew is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off