Too much thermal paste... - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Too much thermal paste...

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 72 (Unique: 66)
Too much thermal paste...

Was not performing test or experiment, just kind of happened.

When installing the cooler for our CPU, most of us use a bead of thermal paste smaller than a pea and then apply the cooler and evenly cinch it down, hoping to spread the paste evenly. After the usual AIO install I noticed that my temps were pretty high compared to the 3600x stock cooler it ships with, that I used to get the system to boot.

A few days later I eventually got around to reinstalling the AIO as I was not liking the temps. Instead of using a small bead and crushing it, I used the same size bead, but spread it evenly with my finger to all four corners. I then took the AIO and reinstalled, but my temps were still higher than the stock cooler.

I took the pump/block back off the CPU and inspected. Wiped off the water block to check it's flatness. The waterblock on the Enermax Liqtech II 240 is as flat as a machine can make it. Seeing that the spread over the CPU looked even I decided to wipe off the waterblock and reinstall with the thin layer of paste left on the CPU.

Well, when I got the waterblock back on the CPU there was a significant temp drop. I can only contribute this to removal of 50% of the original paste spread over the CPU being removed, allowing for a thinner layer to move heat through faster.

So far all future thermal paste use, I will apply a slightly smaller bead, spread the bead with a finger, install waterblock and compress the paste; remove the waterblock and wiper clean, then reinstall the waterblock with what thermal paste is left on the CPU. This seems to be the proper amount of thermal paste?!

It's like I made a discovery that other people probably know about!

Thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 10:07 AM
Facepalm

Rep: 464 (Unique: 322)
Quote: Originally Posted by PDXMark View Post
Was not performing test or experiment, just kind of happened.

When installing the cooler for our CPU, most of us use a bead of thermal paste smaller than a pea and then apply the cooler and evenly cinch it down, hoping to spread the paste evenly. After the usual AIO install I noticed that my temps were pretty high compared to the 3600x stock cooler it ships with, that I used to get the system to boot.

A few days later I eventually got around to reinstalling the AIO as I was not liking the temps. Instead of using a small bead and crushing it, I used the same size bead, but spread it evenly with my finger to all four corners. I then took the AIO and reinstalled, but my temps were still higher than the stock cooler.

I took the pump/block back off the CPU and inspected. Wiped off the water block to check it's flatness. The waterblock on the Enermax Liqtech II 240 is as flat as a machine can make it. Seeing that the spread over the CPU looked even I decided to wipe off the waterblock and reinstall with the thin layer of paste left on the CPU.

Well, when I got the waterblock back on the CPU there was a significant temp drop. I can only contribute this to removal of 50% of the original paste spread over the CPU being removed, allowing for a thinner layer to move heat through faster.

So far all future thermal paste use, I will apply a slightly smaller bead, spread the bead with a finger, install waterblock and compress the paste; remove the waterblock and wiper clean, then reinstall the waterblock with what thermal paste is left on the CPU. This seems to be the proper amount of thermal paste?!

It's like I made a discovery that other people probably know about!

Thanks for reading!
Should not get such results unless your mounting pressure sucks. Excess paste should be completely pushed off the IHS edges if you used a little too much. Otherwise the mounting pressure is terrible or the thermal paste is old, worn out, or just very bad quality. Or did you not clean off the old thermal paste before applying new paste??

I use two intersecting diagonal lines "X" of both Kryonaut and Thermalright TFX and others and diagonal lines are a lot more paste than just a dot in the middle, usually leaving a bit more than needed, but a bit too much is better than a bit too little, and I never had any issues.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM

Quote: Originally Posted by sakete View Post
Well, I want you to know I have an academic degree in speculation.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 10:59 AM
High IQ Person

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
+1 to Falkentyne, also the only place where too much paste is actually a problem is on the naked die of gpu/cpu, but it depends on their size

Yeetus
(10 items)
Brother's heater
(10 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2700X (10x -0.8125 LLC1)
Motherboard
Crosshair VII Hero (WiFi)
GPU
Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+ SE
RAM
G.Skill 3466 C14
Hard Drive
Crucial P1
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda
Power Supply
XFX XTR P1-750B-BEFX
Cooling
NH-D15 AM4
Case
Dark Base 900 Pro
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Ryzen 2600X (10x -0.05 LLC1)
Motherboard
ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING
GPU
XFX RX480 GTR (580 BIOS) 1400/2010
RAM
Vengeance LPX 3466 c16
Hard Drive
Crucial P1
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda
Power Supply
ANTEC HCG-750-GOLD
Cooling
Corsair H100i
Case
NZXT H510i
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 72 (Unique: 66)
It was probably just a bad mount then. On my last seat I only turned the mount screws a '360 degree turn' at a time, in a cross pattern. Until everything was hand tight, then I did four more 180* turns in cross pattern until the screws felt like they were tight, but has not flexed the MB.

I know the game is old, and currently running an old GTX275SC on the new system(until my 2060 Super arrives today), I'm hitting 52c in Project Reality with unrestricted frame rates. I will have "Hell Let Loose" by the end of the week and will test with that too!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in