The Programming Challenge Master Thread - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

The Programming Challenge Master Thread

post #1 of 263 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff
{Unregistered} Level 1

Hello guys!

The old "Programming Challenge" thread is quite outdated and desperately needs to be updated for this decade!tongue.gif I, therefore, have created a new thread.

We have some programmers on this site and it would be good to kick off these programming challenges again.

Note about challenge : This is geared toward beginner or intermediate programmers. The challenges will be easy, yet hard enough to be challenging for beginners. There will be no restriction to which languages you can use. You can use an online compiler to show that it executes and you can post your code here.
Each challenge will have a time duration of about a week so be sure to submit your entry within that time.
Thank you.

LATEST PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE: Challenge # 7 posted!

List of all programming challenges yet: (Click to show)

If you are participating, add in your name HERE

~ {Unregistered}

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews2547 go_quote.gif

Women suck at almost everything. The only time they were good at anything was when Cliopatra was in charge and they lived in triangles. Triangles aren't manly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 263 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff
{Unregistered} Level 1

Okay, so honestly the poll turn out is better than I expected. thumb.gif

I'll try to issue the first programming challenge by today or tomorrow but I'd like to tell you guys that I'm a little busy during this week and can only guarantee that I'll issue the challenge by the end of this week.

If any of you guys want to volunteer and post the challenge or would like to contribute in any way, then do post here.

By the way, this is also an extra bump to make sure more people see this. smile.gif

Hopefully, this will be up and running by today! thumb.gif

Quote:

Women suck at almost everything. The only time they were good at anything was when Cliopatra was in charge and they lived in triangles. Triangles aren't manly.

post #3 of 263 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 01:17 AM
New to Overclock.net
Kyleinator Level 1

How advanced will the challenges be? I have taken intro to C++, c, and Java. Will that be enough or is this aimed towards advanced programmers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 263 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff
{Unregistered} Level 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleinator View Post

How advanced will the challenges be? I have taken intro to C++, c, and Java. Will that be enough or is this aimed towards advanced programmers?

No, this is geared toward beginner or intermediate programmers. The challenges will be easy, yet hard enough to be challenging for beginners. There will be no restriction to which languages you can use. You can use an online compiler to show that it executes and you can post your code here.

Glad you asked; I think I should add this to the OP.

Quote:

post #5 of 263 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 07:48 PM
New to Overclock.net
Kyleinator Level 1

Awesome this looks like it will be fun!
post #6 of 263 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 08:45 PM
New to Overclock.net
spikexp Level 1

I'm looking forward to the first challenge.biggrin.gif

post #7 of 263 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff
{Unregistered} Level 1

Okay so guys, here is the very first programming challenge of this thread. Remember that there is no restriction as to which language you have to use (even though I do expect that most of you will be using C++, Java or Python).

I'm going to start of with something really simple (depending on your programming skill of course), since I'm not really sure how well you're going to perform. The difficulty levels of future challenges will be based on your response in this challenge.

Here's what you have to do:

Write code which just displays a pattern similar to the one below:

You'll have to make it customisable so that it is possible to change the number of maximum *'s that appear. For example, in the pattern shown above, the maximum number of *'s is 5. The pattern increases the number of stars in every row until it reaches the maximum number and then decreases the number of stars (asterisks). You can either allow it to add input from the user, or you can add input from an object. The only requirement is that you must be able to change the size of the pattern (number of *'s) without re-doing or adding anything significant to the code.

Hoping that at least the 16 people who voted actually make an effort to work on this.

~{Unregistered}

Quote:

post #8 of 263 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 12:16 PM
New to Overclock.net
spikexp Level 1

You should post the challenge in a spoiler box in the first post, so we can easily go back to see it without going to far in the topic.

How do we submit the code?
I did a little something with c++ on codepad.org.
I'm at school and I don't have access to anything better (but still, console c++ is quite basic).
I also can't put a user input because it doesn't support it.

post #9 of 263 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Rust Buckets for Days
axipher is on a distinguished road axipher is on a distinguished road axipher is on a distinguished road

FreeBASIC?

Spoiler!

post #10 of 263 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff
{Unregistered} Level 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post

You should post the challenge in a spoiler box in the first post, so we can easily go back to see it without going to far in the topic.
How do we submit the code?
I did a little something with c++ on codepad.org.
I'm at school and I don't have access to anything better (but still, console c++ is quite basic).
I also can't put a user input because it doesn't support it.

Will do.

As for the code, codepad.org is fine. Instead of adding user input, you can just make it so that changing the value of a particular variable can allow you to change the number of stars printed. Input is the easy part; the actual important part of the program is that which actually executes your planned algorithm. If you can do that, then it's absolutely fine.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in