Want to learn programming, Where do i start? - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Want to learn programming, Where do i start?

post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 05:58 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 48 (Unique: 45)
Quote:
Originally Posted by {Unregistered} View Post

Just so you know, the work load of each of the classes is really overwhelming. I myself signed up for 3 classes that were to be held from October to December this year and I have dropped 2 of the classes and am trying to barely do the last one. Not to scare you or anything but although it's good that you have registered for 4 classes so that you may have more options, I think you should be prepared for the work load. If you have something like school or university or a job going on, it will be very difficult. Otherwise, it will be hard but do-able.
Good luck though. smile.gif

What classes did you sign up for?

I signed up for,
Computer Science101
Software enginering
Human Computer Interfaces
Computer Security

I was hoping to keep up in them all for as long as I can, but I realistically know that Ill be dropping some courses. I cant wait for February, theres a good chance I wont be working, or going to school, or doing anything other than these courses. teaching.gif The chances are that Ill be keeping CS101, and Software Engineering and dropping the others, but I dont know for sure what I will enjoy the most, since I am very new to programming. Just want to keep the doors open.

The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.
Audio
Onkyo Tx 308
Behringer 2030p
SVS PB-10 NSD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Got a few questions, My brain is fried! and im feeling really frustrated (to much info to take in and think about).
i've been trying to get the hang of linux ubuntu (feel really uncomfortable with it), whilst learning python and im getting really confused with all the command line stuff; linking code to paths and directories so you can open them in the terminal, even if you don't know the exact location of the file etc. think i might just be too worked up to think clearly but it just feels like i've got to get my head round alot. would rather do it in windows (alot simpler and i understand windows smile.gif) but python seems very much as though it's ment for linux.

so first of all, should i be using command line or IDE for programming?

Secoundly what are the advantages/disadvantages of using windows or linux for programming?

Really tired hope this makes sense sleepysmileyanim.gif

post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 17 (Unique: 15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingNugget View Post

What classes did you sign up for?
I signed up for,
Computer Science101
Software enginering
Human Computer Interfaces
Computer Security
I was hoping to keep up in them all for as long as I can, but I realistically know that Ill be dropping some courses. I cant wait for February, theres a good chance I wont be working, or going to school, or doing anything other than these courses. teaching.gif The chances are that Ill be keeping CS101, and Software Engineering and dropping the others, but I dont know for sure what I will enjoy the most, since I am very new to programming. Just want to keep the doors open.

I haven't registered for the January/February classes yet but I probably will register for at least 2 - Cryptography and one more, probably Machine Learning or Information Theory.

I registered for AI, ML and DB classes in the October session but have only managed to hang on to the AI class. It is very difficult to carry on with these classes if you have school or something. But hopefully, I will have more free time in early 2012 and will be able to properly take these classes.

Good luck to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty_AFC View Post

Got a few questions, My brain is fried! and im feeling really frustrated (to much info to take in and think about).
i've been trying to get the hang of linux ubuntu (feel really uncomfortable with it), whilst learning python and im getting really confused with all the command line stuff; linking code to paths and directories so you can open them in the terminal, even if you don't know the exact location of the file etc. think i might just be too worked up to think clearly but it just feels like i've got to get my head round alot. would rather do it in windows (alot simpler and i understand windows smile.gif) but python seems very much as though it's ment for linux.
so first of all, should i be using command line or IDE for programming?
Secoundly what are the advantages/disadvantages of using windows or linux for programming?
Really tired hope this makes sense sleepysmileyanim.gif

I don't think Windows or Linux really makes a difference. If you do have access to a Windows machine, then I'd recommend that you first learn to program in Python in Windows with IDLE (the IDE that comes built-in with Python), instead of simultaneously jumping into both Python and Linux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews2547 go_quote.gif

Women suck at almost everything. The only time they were good at anything was when Cliopatra was in charge and they lived in triangles. Triangles aren't manly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by {Unregistered} View Post

I haven't registered for the January/February classes yet but I probably will register for at least 2 - Cryptography and one more, probably Machine Learning or Information Theory.
I registered for AI, ML and DB classes in the October session but have only managed to hang on to the AI class. It is very difficult to carry on with these classes if you have school or something. But hopefully, I will have more free time in early 2012 and will be able to properly take these classes.

are there any other classes other then the ones that have been linked in this thread. All the classes linked here seem to need you to have programming experiance, was just wondering if there are any that start you off.

post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 05:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 48 (Unique: 45)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty_AFC View Post

are there any other classes other then the ones that have been linked in this thread. All the classes linked here seem to need you to have programming experiance, was just wondering if there are any that start you off.

Did you look at this? Watch the video, it will explain more about the course. No experience required, a course for someone starting off.

http://www.cs101-class.org/ Computer Science 101

The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.
Audio
Onkyo Tx 308
Behringer 2030p
SVS PB-10 NSD

post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 11:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
I would suggest getting a linux distro without a gui. ViM /Emacs and program on the command line. As a first language I recommend python, its about as easy as writing pseudocode and teaches you to indent your code properly ;p . All this will give you the added benefit of teaching you about the command line and bash scripting.

Other languages, C is very good to learn on and once you master the basics and functional programming move to C++ for classes.

Another very nice way to learn is to follow these courses from stanford :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkMDCCdjyW8
The teacher is funny, you can download notes, assignments etc.

Once you get the basics of programming start taking a look at algorithms :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPyuH4qXLZ0 from an MIT professor here.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 12:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
I've done python, I can tell you that it's a lot more easier than C++. Python can also be used for web development sometimes.

For Java, you can probably take a look at Head First Java

As for taking classes, if you're the type that has a hard time paying attention (like me) to lines and lines of code then you're better off learning by youself at your own pace.

post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 12:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 169 (Unique: 151)
I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet but I'd look at working with c#. Much the same design principles as c++ without having to learn pointers right away and has many basic data structures built in (lists dictionaries etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanDragon go_quote.gif
Look out! A zombie thread! I thought it was dead two years ago, but it's back! SHOOT IT!!! SHOOOOOOT IIIITTTT!!!!!!!!

post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 12:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 45 (Unique: 39)
Stanford has free online classes, and there is a computer science class starting next month. I really recommend getting a solid foundation before starting, it will make things much easier than just coddling together bits of knowledge.

http://www.cs101-class.org/

I'm taking one of these classes right now and I was really impressed. (I'm taking the intro db class)

Check out my build-log including time-lapse movies of installation.

post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Right i have changed from starting with python to starting with java. Its hard to explain why but i just have an urge to learn java and it was distracting me when doing python ( i Know weird right?) i still plan on doing python after and then c++ after that but i just want java first.

Anyway my java learning is going ok been following thenewboston's youtube tutorials and commenting all my code so i remember what certain lines of code do etc, however i'm not fully understanding everything,
so i was wondering is that something that will come as i advance through my learning and following the tutorials or should i be understanding it all as i go through it?
Also is following video tutorials enough or should i get a book? (i Plan on getting 'Thinking in Java', can't afford it for a few weeks though, no money to spare atm with xmas around the corner.)

thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in