Want to learn programming, Where do i start? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Want to learn programming, Where do i start?

post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Ok so i want to learn programming as a hobby because it's something i'm really interested in learning but i don't know where to start.
so i would like to know the following;
which language would you recommend i should start with? (keep reading on the internet either c++ or python)
Can it be self taught through books and the internet? (can't afford a course right now)
and finally what books or websites would you recommend for the recommended language.

Thanks in advance, all advice and help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 11:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Location: Mumbai,Staring at the Katrina Kaif wallpaper on my desktop.
Rep: 33 (Unique: 30)

try c++ first,then java..

u can try your hands at html,css too...

start by buying a book or find relevant websites.

mind u its not simple.requires practice.search everywhere on the net,including youtube,u never know where u will find something good.

once u get a hang of how to make algorithms for your programs and a hang of the basic structure,u can move up..

proof.gifIntel i5 [email protected]
Steam : wisevijay
Words of wisdom! (Click to show)
Once you start playing around with your PC case 'just to make it a lil'bit better'.You are doomed.Your life is over.You will continue playing with your PC case all your life.You will cut your fingers up,spend $$ on new parts and tools,mess up your house and then once you are done with it..Few weeks later you will want to buy a newer,better,bigger and more expensive PC case,and the cycle continues.
My clubs: Spoiler! (Click to show)DIY (Click to show)Buying Hardware in India (Click to show)
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 11:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 9)
It really doesnt matter which way you do it I did Java first than C/C++ but those two are probably the best starting languages for someone wanting to learn how to program.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 11:47 AM

I agree, start with either c++ or java. The first language is the hardest, after that it's all just learning syntax etc. The best way I have used to learn is just to come up with something you would like to program, and crash and bang your way to get it done. Obviously start with doing some reading and stuff, but then get as hands on as possible.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 17 (Unique: 15)
I really need to make a "How to start learning programming" post and sticky it.redface.gif I'll be sure to make that in January when I have more time on my hands.

To answer your question:

Yes, of course, you can learn programming without a proper course. The Internet is the best resource available.

Usually, it is recommended that beginners start with an easier language so that they can become comfortable with programming before they dive in to the "real thing".

I'd say start off with Python. It is a good easy-to-learn scripting language that allows both procedural and object-oriented programming. It is much more flexible and the syntax is easy to get used to.

Since this is going to be the first language you learn, you should use A Byte of Python. It really gives a proper introduction into programming in Python and it is paced well enough for the average beginner. The most important thing from then on will be actually starting to practice making your own little programs. The more you do, the more problems you'll run into and the more you will learn by trying to solve those problems. You can supplement your learning with the Python video tutorials available on Youtube by "thenewboston". Watch the tutorials on the specific sections you learn about as you progress through the book. Remember: practice, practice, practice. Then, in a couple of months, when you begin to see yourself as an "expert beginner" and have already finished the material listed above, you can start through Dive into Python. (It starts by making you learn by doing. I personally did not like this book but many people suggest it and you may like it too.)

I am pretty sure this will keep you busy for many months. biggrin.gif (All the information I have listed above is completely from personal experience. I too started with Python). Once you feel you are a pro, you can look into further resources but I am pretty sure this is enough for now.

However, according to my experience, I only actually gained a profound understanding of programming when I learned Java. (because of its object-oriented paradigm).

If you have any further questions, just ask in the Coding section and we'll be sure to help you. smile.gif

~ {Unregistered}

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews2547 go_quote.gif

Women suck at almost everything. The only time they were good at anything was when Cliopatra was in charge and they lived in triangles. Triangles aren't manly.

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 12:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 437 (Unique: 314)
If you like pretty things, you can start with Visual Basic. You will feel very accomplished after completing a program. At least I was when i first started with visual basic. Visual basic is a little different than most languages, but I feel like it helps with learning the basis of programming and it resembles the English language so it is easier to comprehend.
If you dont want to start with visual basic, I would definitely start with java or python before c++. Don't dive into c++ right away wink.gif

HTML and PHP are always fun languages to start with. But I wouldnt really consider HTML a "REAL" programming language. tongue.gif

Software Engineer in Satellite CommunicationsFaceepalm Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathelm go_quote.gif

Office + 3 monitors = more than 8gb.
rolleyes.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper1n0 go_quote.gif

A PC from 2000 can play Crysis at 20FPS. Playable.
Apparently 20 FPS is playable kookoo.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinaAngel go_quote.gif

how come i get 30 more fps with 16 gb than 8gb?
Aparently un-used ram can give you a 30 FPS boost! doh.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0st. go_quote.gif

Your motherboard burst into flames.

No, you cannot use it.
Clubs/Validations (Click to show)
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 12:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 9)
@{Unregistered} Im planning on making a FAQ thread tonight when i get off work to cover all of the requently asked questions on the forum

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks for the reply's people.
My girlfriend bought me a C++ book for my birthday (still hasn't arrived, due tomorrow) she asked around and was recommended it but i keep getting told i won't be able to learn it and i need to learn python first, because it's easier etc (basically what {Unregistered} said} but then others say I'll be fine so I'm rather confused at the moment.
Anyway i suppose it doesn't matter to much because i was planning on learning a few languages, i think I'll start in this order;

Python and HTML
C++
Java

Do you think it would be possible for me to learn Python and HTML simultaneously ( i hear HTML is easy) or would that confuse me? If so i might leave it until i feel comfortable in python,c++ and java, in other words a very long time biggrin.gif

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 01:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 437 (Unique: 314)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty_AFC View Post

Thanks for the reply's people.
My girlfriend bought me a C++ book for my birthday (still hasn't arrived, due tomorrow) she asked around and was recommended it but i keep getting told i won't be able to learn it and i need to learn python first, because it's easier etc (basically what {Unregistered} said} but then others say I'll be fine so I'm rather confused at the moment.
Anyway i suppose it doesn't matter to much because i was planning on learning a few languages, i think I'll start in this order;
Python and HTML
C++
Java
Do you think it would be possible for me to learn Python and HTML simultaneously ( i hear HTML is easy) or would that confuse me? If so i might leave it until i feel comfortable in python,c++ and java, in other words a very long time biggrin.gif

HTML is easy, you usually just learn it to get your shoes wet wink.gif IMO it really does not help too much with programming unless you are trying to see if you are going to like it or not. It is really fun to learn, but is not really needed unless you want to be a web developer or web programmer. Also, another opinion of mine is that java is much easier than C++, the one thing I love about java compared to C++ is that it has its own garbage collection tongue.gif

Look into different distros of linux if you havent and familiarize yourself with one of them. It will help you in the long run with programming.

Software Engineer in Satellite CommunicationsFaceepalm Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathelm go_quote.gif

Office + 3 monitors = more than 8gb.
rolleyes.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper1n0 go_quote.gif

A PC from 2000 can play Crysis at 20FPS. Playable.
Apparently 20 FPS is playable kookoo.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinaAngel go_quote.gif

how come i get 30 more fps with 16 gb than 8gb?
Aparently un-used ram can give you a 30 FPS boost! doh.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0st. go_quote.gif

Your motherboard burst into flames.

No, you cannot use it.
Clubs/Validations (Click to show)
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman517 View Post

HTML is easy, you usually just learn it to get your shoes wet wink.gif IMO it really does not help too much with programming unless you are trying to see if you are going to like it or not. It is really fun to learn, but is not really needed unless you want to be a web developer or web programmer. Also, another opinion of mine is that java is much easier than C++, the one thing I love about java compared to C++ is that it has its own garbage collection tongue.gif
Look into different distros of linux if you havent and familiarize yourself with one of them. It will help you in the long run with programming.

OK I'll leave HTML for now. could you recommend any good beginner books for java. Yeah I've heard about Linux being good if you want to do programming, not sure why though, haven't found an explanation as to why. However i have been planning on downloading Ubuntu and learning how to use that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in