Programmers' lounge. (Programming-related discussions only) - Page 115 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Programmers' lounge. (Programming-related discussions only)

post #1141 of 1143 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 10:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 72 (Unique: 57)
I was debating if I should start a separate thread for this, but I think I'll ask here first instead.

I wanted to know if anybody had an opinion of Electron?

Here's the shorter description from the web site:
Quote:
Electron is an open source library developed by GitHub for building cross-platform desktop applications with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.

I've been wanting to find more motivation for learning JavaScript and I already wrote a HTML/CSS/VBScript utility using Windows Script Host. So naturally a fully capable (what? HTML 5? A JS engine made after IE 8? Crazy talk) alternative appeals to me. Also JavaScript over VBScript probably not a bad idea.
And Electron is pretty new by the way. It's only about 18 months old and the 1.0 release was just in May of this year.

The first and/or most famous example of an Electron application is the ATOM text editor. From little I've used of it it seems really good/special. Only disadvantage, at least of ATOM anyway, is the file size: 90 MBs for a text editor? Is that really entirely necessary? How many text editors are 90MBs? I think it's because they have to include the native UI elements of different operating systems inside the installed package.
The other thing I would call a disadvantage (at least of atom) is the default install locaiton:
C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.10.2
Is making my user profile that much larger really necessary (this folder is 266MBs)? Sure it's common on Linux/etc and Mac OS X, but it's annoying-as-well just annoying in Windows.

I do have a few programs I have in mind that would be best written in via Electron. Hopefully to come in under 90MBs.

On what may or may not be a related note, I just published my first real working utility (albeit a batch file) to github. I'm kind of excited about this. And it practically works!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1143 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 11:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 27)
Does anyone know imacros language for firefox in here?

i need some help asap
post #1143 of 1143 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 02:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 80 (Unique: 67)
Will anyone be able to explain to me how to handle second activity when using back button? I am working on remote directory app for couple of old android phones I have. Whenever I open second activity to certain phone, it will populate the folders/files in the listview just fine (the way I want it to), but If i have the back button and go to re open second activity it will be blank. I know I am receiving the file/folder names since thats what my log is showing me. Here is the source code, sorry for the mess, i was adding one liners here, and there to make sure I didn't overlook anything.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/40188573/listview-does-not-populate-when-opening-activity-for-second-time

If you come across cute ginger girls and have pics pm me them :3
<In my avatar, IDK but TheODDone gave me this one <33

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in