Programmers' lounge. (Programming-related discussions only) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Programmers' lounge. (Programming-related discussions only)

post #1 of 1143 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

The Programmers' Lounge

Welcomes you.

This is the newly created programmers' lounge. For like minded people to discuss the art of programming. This includes application programming, web programming, kernel programming, ROM programming, everything to do with programming! Just post away with ideas, thoughts, hints, tips, questions etc. and let them be answered by programming "gods?"

Everyone else has a lounge, so why don't we...

Rules

However please;
  • Stick to the ToS
  • Don't post random crap, this isn't for off topic things
  • Don't troll people

That's it, but seen as you're a programmer you're probably nice anyway wubsmiley.gif

Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1143 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 10:19 AM
Dank Souls

Rep: 175 (Unique: 124)

I approve of thread. thumb.gif

I will not post any further unless its programming related.

<div class="post-sig post-sig-limit shazam usersig-click"><div class="reparse-sig-lineheight"><p style="text-align:center;"><strong>Important Reading For New Members</strong></p><span></span><p style="text-align:center;"><a href="https://www.overclock.net/a/terms-of-service">Terms of Service</a><span>  | </span><a href="https://www.overclock.net/t/235282/overclock-net-professionalism-initiative/0_20">Overclock.net Professionalism Initiative</a><span> | </span><a href="https://www.overclock.net/t/8182/reputation-defined/0_20">How to put your Rig in your Sig</a><span> | </span><a href="https://www.overclock.net/t/8182/reputation-defined/0_20">reputation-defined</a></p><span></span><p style="text-align:center;"><span> </span></p></div></div>

post #3 of 1143 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 10:21 AM
Rust Buckets for Days

Maybe we can start off by getting people's preferred IDE for writing code for different languages.

Spoiler!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 1143 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 10:23 AM
Dank Souls

Rep: 175 (Unique: 124)
Quote:
Originally Posted by axipher View Post

Maybe we can start off by getting people's preferred IDE for writing code for different languages.

I use Visual Studio for Visual Basic at the moment. redface.gif

<div class="post-sig post-sig-limit shazam usersig-click"><div class="reparse-sig-lineheight"><p style="text-align:center;"><strong>Important Reading For New Members</strong></p><span></span><p style="text-align:center;"><a href="https://www.overclock.net/a/terms-of-service">Terms of Service</a><span>  | </span><a href="https://www.overclock.net/t/235282/overclock-net-professionalism-initiative/0_20">Overclock.net Professionalism Initiative</a><span> | </span><a href="https://www.overclock.net/t/8182/reputation-defined/0_20">How to put your Rig in your Sig</a><span> | </span><a href="https://www.overclock.net/t/8182/reputation-defined/0_20">reputation-defined</a></p><span></span><p style="text-align:center;"><span> </span></p></div></div>

post #5 of 1143 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 17 (Unique: 15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd View Post

The Programmers' Lounge

Welcomes you.

This is the newly created programmers' lounge. For like minded people to discuss the art of programming. This includes application programming, web programming, kernel programming, ROM programming, everything to do with programming! Just post away with ideas, thoughts, hints, tips, questions etc. and let them be answered by programming "gods?"
Everyone else has a lounge, so why don't we...
Rules

However please;
  • Stick to the ToS
  • Don't post random crap, this isn't for off topic things
  • Don't troll people

That's it, but seen as you're a programmer you're probably nice anyway wubsmiley.gif
Josh

Ingenious.

I approve of this thread. I wonder how you came up with the idea. wink.gif

Made a few grammatical corrections though. wink.gif

Also guys, please look at the last post of the Programming Challenge thread. I need suggestions for the next challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews2547 go_quote.gif

Women suck at almost everything. The only time they were good at anything was when Cliopatra was in charge and they lived in triangles. Triangles aren't manly.

post #6 of 1143 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I just use Sublime Text 2. It's amazing for HTML, CSS and the likes. You can use it for free for thirty days aswell.. go try it out!
post #7 of 1143 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 10:37 AM
Retired Staff

Quote:

For Java, I either use Notepad (biggrin.gif) or Eclipse.

For Python, I just use IDLE but I have tried that other IDE which comes bundled with Portable Python.

Should we start a poll of application programming vs web development?

Quote:

Women suck at almost everything. The only time they were good at anything was when Cliopatra was in charge and they lived in triangles. Triangles aren't manly.

post #8 of 1143 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 10:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 39 (Unique: 36)
There is also something called "Brogrammers".I regret checking that out.Apparently they also "work out" ; what's that? rolleyes.gif

Also you should post some helpful links on websites that provides helpful syntax and knowledgebase help with certain functions and stuff.I am personally using w3schools because they provide you with a really useful "try-it" example that shows the code/function in action.

On other note , do you guys think that high abstraction level languages would be viable for coding an engine?I know that most of them including assembly are extremely slow in human terms but it would be much faster latency wise and have a more easily optimized scheduler for the CPU to digest.Since we have mostly reached the time where the processor is no longer a cause for concern for latency in the rendering pipeline and data streaming from the input/output devices would be about as fast as it gets , perhaps we should take a look back at the biggest latency of all ; software scheduling through API and execution and handling through drivers.It would be my goal if i were to be able to get to that level without losing my hooting mind.

Speaking ofwhich , what do you guys think about SuperScript which is apparently a mix of Java and C++ from Carmack's team?

Chipp was incapable of giving me a good reply.Quit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1 go_quote.gif

Because even though this forum is run as a dictatorship by mods. The forum leaders like to give us a choice on who are next dictators will be.
lulz (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm go_quote.gif

wubsmiley.gif

Have my babies. All of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [nK]Sharp go_quote.gif

If you don't know then you are obviously not doing it (I would hope).
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipperLord go_quote.gif

AOE is for thinkers. SC is for clickers. Nuff said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simca on Obama and the economy 
[4:07 AM]chia233: and the thing to do now is to realize that your debt is a priority
[4:08 AM] princess: Yeah, we realize that
[4:08 AM] princess: that's why we want to get rid of obama
[4:08 AM] princess: before he spends more *beep*ing money
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackeyjoe go_quote.gif

People shouldn't be...
post #9 of 1143 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by {Unregistered} View Post

For Java, I either use Notepad (biggrin.gif) or Eclipse.
For Python, I just use IDLE but I have tried that other IDE which comes bundled with Portable Python.
Should we start a poll of application programming vs web development?

Sure, go ahead. will be interesting in the very least...

PS I don't understand how you can use notepad to code java?
post #10 of 1143 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 10:44 AM
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd View Post

Sure, go ahead. will be interesting in the very least...
PS I don't understand how you can use notepad to code java?

Uhh...You can use notepad to code in any language.... What are you talking about?

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in