Programming Language Learning Resources List - Page 6 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Programming Language Learning Resources List

post #51 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 01:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipp View Post

Threw in a handful of the suggested revisions and fleshed out the Ruby section. thumb.gif

Thanks Chipp, I use this alot for reference when I get stuck thumb.gif

Snorkle.gif Official Corsair Hydro Series Club Snorkle.gif

“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 08:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 48 (Unique: 43)
Another list of books:

https://github.com/vhf/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md

"Alcohol is not the answer."
Milk is not the answer either, but nobody mentions it.

Gentoo worshipper, xterm is man's best friend.

post #53 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 05:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
oversimplify the complicated things, and charge far too much for their books. Avoid at all costs.PkuSSH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 11:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 12 (Unique: 12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdatmo View Post

Yup, the scientific community (including myself) uses a lot of FORTRAN. As it is array orientated it is easy to quickly write fast code for numerically solving equations. Fortran 90/95/2003 (I don't recall which feature came when) also feature many new capabilities such as derived types, dynamic memory allocation, and object-oriented programming support.

A very basic FORTRAN resource from NCI.

Another resource, however it doesn't cover the new additions in 2003.
Another online resource I use when I need to look something up.

I can attest to this but it's very situational. For example, for small algorithms or less than 100 lines of code, you will see a very distinguishable difference in the execution speed between Fortran, C and Python.

However, when you get into very large algorithms with a desire for memory efficiency and parallelism, you will be hard pressed using FORTRAN or even C. At that point, a language like Python becomes a lot more efficient if done correctly and that's often the difference between a good lab and a lab of novices or outdated coders. Python done correctly will see a small difference in shorter algorithms but will be much much better for large algorithms with a lot of efficiency and parallelism being implemented.

I think every engineer should learn the basics for FORTRAN though, just for my aforementioned industry advantage.

University of California San Diego
Environmental Engineering Class of 2013
Rig 1: Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E420 | Intel Core i3-2310m | 8GB DDR3 1600 | 320GB 7200RPM
eGPU: *Work in Progress* | Zotac Geforce GTX 560 | PE4L | Corsair VX450W
post #55 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 06:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 108 (Unique: 75)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollingThunder View Post

I can attest to this but it's very situational. For example, for small algorithms or less than 100 lines of code, you will see a very distinguishable difference in the execution speed between Fortran, C and Python.

However, when you get into very large algorithms with a desire for memory efficiency and parallelism, you will be hard pressed using FORTRAN or even C. At that point, a language like Python becomes a lot more efficient if done correctly and that's often the difference between a good lab and a lab of novices or outdated coders. Python done correctly will see a small difference in shorter algorithms but will be much much better for large algorithms with a lot of efficiency and parallelism being implemented.
This is just plain wrong. Wait, "TrollingThunder", I get it.

Currently playing: Civ 6, Gwent

Fractal Design Define R2 case review
post #56 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 11:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 12 (Unique: 11)
Great thead, thanks. smile.gif
post #57 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter
The debug-inator

I'll be tidying up this thread. Please post here with any suggestions smile.gif
post #58 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 02:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 97 (Unique: 77)
I ran into http://www.codecademy.com/learn while responding to a different post about what language to learn and resources. I suggested javascript btw. Sad i didnt see it on your list.

But the link i posted above has lesson plans and teaches HTML\CSS, jQuery , Javascript, PHP, Python, and Ruby with nice interactive pages. I was pretty impressed with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in