How important is calculus when programming? - Page 6 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

How important is calculus when programming?

post #51 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 11:29 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 85 (Unique: 68)
In some shape or form, Mathematics is everywhere.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 02:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 38 (Unique: 24)
It's more the problem solving skills associated with mathematicians that you need, rather than actual mathematical ability...

Programming is all logic, the language is just the syntax you use to express the logic. Learn the logic and the language becomes immaterial.

Original user of this avatar - 6th October 2012.
post #53 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 04:27 AM
Eh, Wha?

Rep: 724 (Unique: 534)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

That's a very short-sighted approach. When do you stop?

Why even bother getting a CS or CE degree? Just go to vocational school or take a course to learn "Java" or "C++".

Actually, you may not even need all the features of a language.... so as a programmer why learn languages?

Just go take a philosophy class in Logic.

There's difference among "someone who can write a program", a "progammer", and a "good programmer". It's not just about knowledge of a language that makes a good programmer.

Here's a dirty little secret..... most of the information that you learn in college is out-of-date, a subset of a bigger world, or just irrelevant to work. However, college does train you to think and exposes you to different concepts. That's what college is really for. Generally, you learn real-world skills in the real-world at a job.

Personally, I have dual degrees in CE and Economics. My understand of economics absolutely gives me an edge that I apply to software development, hardware purchases, and system architecture.

And this is pretty much my whole point. WHY do we do this? What is the point? To prove that someone is willing to pay a couple thousand dollars and years of their life to get a piece of paper saying "I still don't really know anything relevant, but I can recite a dead language's alphabet backwards if you really want"?

People should go to school because they actually care to learn. Maybe that's my problem. I know I could learn just as much in a 10th of the time for free in by bedroom, but some tool with no useful knowledge and a diploma would get the job and not me. Thus I'm in college, wasting away my potential, and knowing it.

Systems: Fukurou | Prodigy | Tempest | ArcaneServers: Minecraft SMP | Logs: Build Log - Arcane | Video Logs: Project Arcane
Quote:Originally Posted by Zen00 https://www.overclock.net/img/forum/go_quote.gifZero, you are a master story teller, I am sleep now. http://files.overclock.net/images/smilies/thumb.gif
Stygian
(14 items)
Arcane
(33 items)
Sanctum
(9 items)
CPU
RAM
Trident Z RGB
Hard Drive
Intel 660p
Hard Drive
WD Gold
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold
Case
NZXT H440 Razer Edition
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Nixeus NX-EDG27v2
Monitor
Dell S2316H
Keyboard
X-Armor U9BL
Mouse
Razer Deathadder Chroma
Mousepad
Cougar Control
Audio
Creative X7 LE
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-A900X
CPU
Core i7 980x
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5
GPU
MSI GeForce GTX 1080TI DUKE
GPU
MSI GeForce GTX 680 Lightning
RAM
Kingston HyperX T1
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO
Hard Drive
WD Caviar Black FASS
Hard Drive
Plextor M5S
Hard Drive
WD Velociraptor
Hard Drive
WD FALS
Optical Drive
Sony DVD Burner w/ Lightscribe
Optical Drive
LG Bluray + HDDVD
Power Supply
EVGA 1000 P2
Cooling
Black Ice GTX 360
Cooling
Black Ice GTX 240
Case
Cooler Master HAF 932
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro (64)
Monitor
X-Star DP2710
Monitor
ASUS VK266H Black 25.5" 2ms LCD
Keyboard
X-Armor U9BL (Mech)
Mouse
Razer Deathadder Chroma
Mouse
Cougar Control
Audio
ATH-A900X
Audio
Maudio AV-40
Audio
Polk PSW-10
Audio
Zalman Mic-1 (Clip-on Mic)
Audio
Sound Blaster X7 LE
Other
Logitech G13
Other
Wacom Intuos 3
Other
Modded PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, and Logitech PC Controllers
Other
Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS
Other
Rocketfish 720p Webcam
Other
Scythe "3-Foot Switch"
CPU
Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard
MSI B350M Mortar Arctic
GPU
RX Vega 64
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 960
Hard Drive
Consatellation
Power Supply
Corsair HX 1050
Case
Raijintek Aeneas White Window
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 04:58 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 17 (Unique: 15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero4549 View Post

And this is pretty much my whole point. WHY do we do this? What is the point? To prove that someone is willing to pay a couple thousand dollars and years of their life to get a piece of paper saying "I still don't really know anything relevant, but I can recite a dead language's alphabet backwards if you really want"?

People should go to school because they actually care to learn. Maybe that's my problem. I know I could learn just as much in a 10th of the time for free in by bedroom, but some tool with no useful knowledge and a diploma would get the job and not me. Thus I'm in college, wasting away my potential, and knowing it.

Your work life will be the same. You'll have to do things you don't really enjoy and might not be particularly skilled in.
Having a college degree shows the employer that you have the patience and the determination to fulfill varied tasks that you might not have previous experience in, simply because you have the skills to easily adapt to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews2547 go_quote.gif

Women suck at almost everything. The only time they were good at anything was when Cliopatra was in charge and they lived in triangles. Triangles aren't manly.

post #55 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 05:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 121 (Unique: 102)
Quote:

The same reason you learn the basics of anything. You have to start somewhere. Granted programming is a little weird because it changes at a relatively fast pace. You are paying to learn principles and learning to solve many different types of problems. Usually when people teach themselves something they only cover what they feel they need to know to solve a specific problem. You won't have the same exposure to varied topics and problems that you should be seeing in school. For the most part someone who has that piece of paper can do their job along with quiet a few others. They will also be able to converse and work with others solving many things. With that said if you aren't working on different things within your program then your school is failing in proper instruction.

I do fully understand that there are also people who have the ability to teach themselves programming skills. I know some fantastic programmers that have never take a single course in it. The only reason that they are good at is because they are great problem solvers. As an employer though if faced with a someone with a couple years experience and someone with a degree; guess who I am going to pick? The one with the degree because I won't usually take a chance on someone being a good problem solver. Those natural problem solvers are few and far between though and atleast with the degree holder I can feel more confident about what they know and be assured they have the ability to learn something new and be able to apply it.

A second point I feel I must make (and I mean absolutely no disrespect by it honestly) is that if you feel you are wasting your potential then most likely you are. The only person you can blame for that though is yourself. College courses should be about learning how to learn, not learning something for the sake of it. The basic topics give you the foundation to expand and grow upon. They can't teach you everything you will ever see. That challenge is left for you to conquer. When I teach I inform my students that I expect them to do more than what I teach. Even now with courses I take I look at what we are doing in the class and try to apply that to something larger.

I do understand where you are coming from. I spent my first two years in college (with a total of 9 years now) with a similar attitude towards some classes. As I grew as a student and academic I see their usefulness though and I am glad that I took them. Having also been part of committees that design student degree programs trust me that classes are not chosen as mandatory unless industry and academia deem it to be vital. There is a lot of debate about classes that are chosen as mandatory requirements.

headscratch.gif Do us all a favor. Do not confuse your opinion with facts.proof.gif

post #56 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 05:28 AM
Eh, Wha?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylepdalton View Post

The same reason you learn the basics of anything. You have to start somewhere. Granted programming is a little weird because it changes at a relatively fast pace. You are paying to learn principles and learning to solve many different types of problems. Usually when people teach themselves something they only cover what they feel they need to know to solve a specific problem. You won't have the same exposure to varied topics and problems that you should be seeing in school. For the most part someone who has that piece of paper can do their job along with quiet a few others. They will also be able to converse and work with others solving many things. With that said if you aren't working on different things within your program then your school is failing in proper instruction.

I do fully understand that there are also people who have the ability to teach themselves programming skills. I know some fantastic programmers that have never take a single course in it. The only reason that they are good at is because they are great problem solvers. As an employer though if faced with a someone with a couple years experience and someone with a degree; guess who I am going to pick? The one with the degree because I won't usually take a chance on someone being a good problem solver. Those natural problem solvers are few and far between though and atleast with the degree holder I can feel more confident about what they know and be assured they have the ability to learn something new and be able to apply it.

A second point I feel I must make (and I mean absolutely no disrespect by it honestly) is that if you feel you are wasting your potential then most likely you are. The only person you can blame for that though is yourself. College courses should be about learning how to learn, not learning something for the sake of it. The basic topics give you the foundation to expand and grow upon. They can't teach you everything you will ever see. That challenge is left for you to conquer. When I teach I inform my students that I expect them to do more than what I teach. Even now with courses I take I look at what we are doing in the class and try to apply that to something larger.

I do understand where you are coming from. I spent my first two years in college (with a total of 9 years now) with a similar attitude towards some classes. As I grew as a student and academic I see their usefulness though and I am glad that I took them. Having also been part of committees that design student degree programs trust me that classes are not chosen as mandatory unless industry and academia deem it to be vital. There is a lot of debate about classes that are chosen as mandatory requirements.

Perhaps it's not the classes themselves so much as the professors teaching them, and their level of control over the class content. I can't even begin to tell you the number of classes I've had where I was teaching the professor, and not the other way around.

Systems: Fukurou | Prodigy | Tempest | ArcaneServers: Minecraft SMP | Logs: Build Log - Arcane | Video Logs: Project Arcane
Quote:Originally Posted by Zen00 https://www.overclock.net/img/forum/go_quote.gifZero, you are a master story teller, I am sleep now. http://files.overclock.net/images/smilies/thumb.gif
Stygian
(14 items)
Arcane
(33 items)
Sanctum
(9 items)
CPU
RAM
Trident Z RGB
Hard Drive
Intel 660p
Hard Drive
WD Gold
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold
Case
NZXT H440 Razer Edition
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Nixeus NX-EDG27v2
Monitor
Dell S2316H
Keyboard
X-Armor U9BL
Mouse
Razer Deathadder Chroma
Mousepad
Cougar Control
Audio
Creative X7 LE
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-A900X
CPU
Core i7 980x
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5
GPU
GPU
RAM
Kingston HyperX T1
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO
Hard Drive
WD Caviar Black FASS
Hard Drive
Plextor M5S
Hard Drive
WD Velociraptor
Hard Drive
WD FALS
Optical Drive
Optical Drive
LG Bluray + HDDVD
Power Supply
EVGA 1000 P2
Cooling
Black Ice GTX 360
Cooling
Black Ice GTX 240
Case
Cooler Master HAF 932
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro (64)
Monitor
X-Star DP2710
Monitor
Keyboard
X-Armor U9BL (Mech)
Mouse
Razer Deathadder Chroma
Mouse
Cougar Control
Audio
ATH-A900X
Audio
Maudio AV-40
Audio
Polk PSW-10
Audio
Audio
Sound Blaster X7 LE
Other
Logitech G13
Other
Wacom Intuos 3
Other
Other
Other
Rocketfish 720p Webcam
Other
Scythe "3-Foot Switch"
CPU
Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard
MSI B350M Mortar Arctic
GPU
RX Vega 64
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 960
Hard Drive
Consatellation
Power Supply
Corsair HX 1050
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
▲ hide details ▲

post #57 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 07:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 121 (Unique: 102)
Quote:

Perhaps it's not the classes themselves so much as the professors teaching them, and their level of control over the class content. I can't even begin to tell you the number of classes I've had where I was teaching the professor, and not the other way around.

That happens from time to time. It shouldn't but it does unfortunately. If a majority of classes are like that for you then I would be looking for a different program elsewhere. The only way to grow is to be challenged. If you are really adventurous you can also ask the professor, your advisor, and/or dean of the department if you can skip courses by taking the final exams for a course. That will sometimes get you out of a required class freeing up hours to take more challenging electives.

headscratch.gif Do us all a favor. Do not confuse your opinion with facts.proof.gif

post #58 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 04:52 PM
Eh, Wha?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylepdalton View Post

That happens from time to time. It shouldn't but it does unfortunately. If a majority of classes are like that for you then I would be looking for a different program elsewhere. The only way to grow is to be challenged. If you are really adventurous you can also ask the professor, your advisor, and/or dean of the department if you can skip courses by taking the final exams for a course. That will sometimes get you out of a required class freeing up hours to take more challenging electives.

Yeah, I'm starting to do that now. My first two years that was not an option due to college policy.

What's really frustrating is when the professor not only is clueless, but will actually give out blatantly false information and stand by it. I had a literature professor tell me "ambidextrous" wasn't a real word. Opened the dictionary to it in front of him and he told me it didn't count because it wasn't the latest edition .rolleyes.gif

Stygian
(14 items)
Arcane
(33 items)
Sanctum
(9 items)
CPU
RAM
Trident Z RGB
Hard Drive
Intel 660p
Hard Drive
WD Gold
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold
Case
NZXT H440 Razer Edition
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Nixeus NX-EDG27v2
Monitor
Dell S2316H
Keyboard
X-Armor U9BL
Mouse
Razer Deathadder Chroma
Mousepad
Cougar Control
Audio
Creative X7 LE
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-A900X
CPU
Core i7 980x
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5
GPU
GPU
RAM
Kingston HyperX T1
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO
Hard Drive
WD Caviar Black FASS
Hard Drive
Plextor M5S
Hard Drive
WD Velociraptor
Hard Drive
WD FALS
Optical Drive
Optical Drive
LG Bluray + HDDVD
Power Supply
EVGA 1000 P2
Cooling
Black Ice GTX 360
Cooling
Black Ice GTX 240
Case
Cooler Master HAF 932
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro (64)
Monitor
X-Star DP2710
Monitor
Keyboard
X-Armor U9BL (Mech)
Mouse
Razer Deathadder Chroma
Mouse
Cougar Control
Audio
ATH-A900X
Audio
Maudio AV-40
Audio
Polk PSW-10
Audio
Audio
Sound Blaster X7 LE
Other
Logitech G13
Other
Wacom Intuos 3
Other
Other
Other
Rocketfish 720p Webcam
Other
Scythe "3-Foot Switch"
CPU
Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard
MSI B350M Mortar Arctic
GPU
RX Vega 64
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 960
Hard Drive
Consatellation
Power Supply
Corsair HX 1050
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
▲ hide details ▲

post #59 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 06:33 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 4426 (Unique: 2045)
Quote:

Guy walks in from the street and says give me a job. How do I know he can do the job? Does he have work experience? Does he have certs? Does he have a degree?

I mean people can bypass formal education and degrees to still advance.... getting in the door is the problem. Unless they make a name for themselves develop something on their own or know someone personally, it's hard to break through.

How do I know someone is qualified? How can I trust what he/she says and what they put on their resume is real?

To answer most of your questions: (1) a fridge cannot cool a PC (2) 64-bit OS for over 3.4GB (3) If a PCIe card fits, it should work (4) Resolution, not screen size (5) Report, not respond to Spam (6) Single-Rail/Non-Modular PSUs are not always better than Multi-Rail/Modular (7) Sequential does not matter as much as random for OS drives (8) Requirements come before hardware for servers

post #60 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 07:04 PM
The debug-inator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

Guy walks in from the street and says give me a job. How do I know he can do the job? Does he have work experience? Does he have certs? Does he have a degree?

I mean people can bypass formal education and degrees to still advance.... getting in the door is the problem. Unless they make a name for themselves develop something on their own or know someone personally, it's hard to break through.

How do I know someone is qualified? How can I trust what he/she says and what they put on their resume is real?

A relatively good app in an app store (Google, Apple, Windows) is usually enough for me tongue.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in