How important is calculus when programming? - Page 7 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

How important is calculus when programming?

post #61 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 12:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 48 (Unique: 43)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAKOH View Post

Let's drop foreign language, history, humanities, biology. None of this seem to be relevant to your goals.

Actually I don't have these in my major smile.gif
BTW. Funny thing, I'm glad I had Calculus, because 4 years later I'm reading a book "Art of Electronics" (making myself smart fan controller) and I was at the capacitor section. There was an equation I = C * (dU/dt) , and I was like "Wow, now I see"...
Butt still, I hate math... next week i have to present a report on the "Wilf–Zeilberger method of identity certification".

Back to my point, I want to say that disciplines that are irrelevant or mostly irrelevant to the major should be made non-compusotory. And the courses should add applications and examples to the agenda...
I'm sure if i didn't knew what is derivative I would have checked in the interwebz. But since we had them in high school I only had to read what Leibniz's notation is and the whole Calculus 1 course would have been meaningless...

"Alcohol is not the answer."
Milk is not the answer either, but nobody mentions it.

Gentoo worshipper, xterm is man's best friend.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 05:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Location: The land of the Pyramids and the Sphinx(Cairo,Egypt)
Rep: 13 (Unique: 13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mootsfox View Post

Calculus is not needed for general programming. Even trig is a stretch.

You do need a strong understanding of how variables work and a very strong understanding of logic and applied logic. Math and programming go together because the thought processes are similar. They are exact sciences. You'd probably be better off taking a time management course or other planning course than calc though.

Oh, and invest in a keyboard you won't make many mistakes on.

How so?
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSebaSXx View Post

I get asked similar questions almost on a daily basis... The kids I tutor in Math (from HS Geometry through Calc II in college) always ask me questions along the lines of: What on earth am I going to need Calculus for in real life? My answer is almost always the same... Even if you don't ever use the stuff you learn today; you'll still need it so that you can graduate HS/College and get your degree.

So is calculus needed for programming? Not intrinsically, but if you plan on getting a Bachelors degree in computer programming; Calculus will be part of your core classes and without it you won't be able to graduate. biggrin.gif So, in a way, you do need it.

Actually when I started with OpenGL I needed some understanding of Calculus just to draw simple 2D stuff like a curve and I actually wish to be given more mathimatical related problems in programming tongue.gif
post #63 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 05:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 52 (Unique: 43)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipze View Post

mathematics is not necessary for programming..

programming is basically applied logic..

You don't need calculus..

If someone says that math is important they are referring to the critical thinking required for math..not math itself

I didnt read every post but the ones i did read all seem to indicate people saying its not needed at all. Id disagree. Anyone who programs and deals with arrays is likely doing calculus (or using an understanding of it) even if they dont realize it. Matrices in calculus are basically arrays in programming. I took up to 2nd level applied calc in college and i use at the minimum an understanding of it every day (but very rarely applied directly to calculus related problems). Im not saying that calc is essential or required to program, but it sure helps. As someone else in this thread put it programming is basically applied logic, but i also tell people its like putting math into words (like really long word problems).

IMO, thats why its not unheard of for IT majors in college to minor or dual major in mathematics.

All that said, if you have the drive and an analytical/problem solving type of mind then program away despite your understanding of math. Just my opinions hope they help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 05:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 72 (Unique: 62)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABD EL HAMEED View Post

Actually when I started with OpenGL I needed some understanding of Calculus just to draw simple 2D stuff like a curve and I actually wish to be given more mathimatical related problems in programming tongue.gif

I'll take it even further back... I was in my last year of elementary school (what US people call 5th grade) back in my country... It's the mid 80s and we get introduced to our very first computer class. We were learning two languages: Basic and LOGO.

Basic was kind of boring to me, but when we started with LOGO; it was like a magic door opened before me. Sure; Logo is just a simple drawing language, but with a bit of ingenuity and some math; we were able to create some very nice patterns. That's what got me interested in geometry and that led to trigonometry and after that; I was hooked. smile.gif
post #65 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 05:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Location: The land of the Pyramids and the Sphinx(Cairo,Egypt)
Rep: 13 (Unique: 13)
Quote:

I'll take it even further back... I was in my last year of elementary school (what US people call 5th grade) back in my country... It's the mid 80s and we get introduced to our very first computer class. We were learning two languages: Basic and LOGO.

Basic was kind of boring to me, but when we started with LOGO; it was like a magic door opened before me. Sure; Logo is just a simple drawing language, but with a bit of ingenuity and some math; we were able to create some very nice patterns. That's what got me interested in geometry and that led to trigonometry and after that; I was hooked. smile.gif

I was really hooked to maths when we started learning geometry in the 1st year at preparatory school (7th grade to the US guys)and since then I've loved maths specially geometry and trigonometry and now calculus,I think a lot of people hate maths because all the can see is rules and equations and they're only taught when to use them while not understanding why(at least that's what happens here) limits for example where people are only taught what they should do to find limits and they don't understand why or how they just apply a rule given to them and thus they'll hate it....
post #66 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 08:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Programming is a broad topic.

Unless you're doing quantum cryptography, you don't need calculus. If you don't know what quantum cryptography is, chances are you won't go into that field.

If you're talking about PHP/ C, then I would focus on applied logic. In fact, all you need is basic arithmetic and you're set. It's about manipulating data, not so much numbers. smile.gif
post #67 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 03:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 33 (Unique: 31)
Quote:

Hmmm, Logo, is that what I learned back in middle school in the late 80's. I remember something like that where it's just a simple drawing language and drawing out pictures. It was like, you tell it start off with this grid of 100 x 100 or something and then tell it to fill this square with this color and such. I remember making a picture of Michael Jordan doing the free throw dunk. Other kids were just doing a picture because that's all the teacher taught, but I was the only one who actually animated it by thinking, hey, what if I told it to make this picture of Jordan starting the dunk then refresh it and draw out this other picture of Jordan dunking? Then we made it loop by asking, did you like it? Yes, then start the picture over again. Haha, was pretty cool.

post #68 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 05:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Programming revolves heavily upon algorithms and functions, so math is very, very fundamental in a knowledge of programming.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in