What is Java?? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

What is Java??

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 132 (Unique: 106)
I am enrolling for my junior year in high school and I saw that a java class was offered, and an advanced was offered second semester. I had downloaded java on my computer to run programs and stuff, but i didn't really know what its purpose was. So what is Java, and would it be a good class to take?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 02:30 PM

Java is a great platform to work with its like flash but in code, java can do lots of stuff and its really helpfull from navigation to chat programs check it out here.

http://java.sun.com/
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 02:32 PM

here is some tutorials read these first and you might see if you like it

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 02:47 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 218 (Unique: 131)
Basically, Java is an object oriented programming language. It is supposed to be platform neutral in that it compiles to "byte code", i.e. not machine code. You need the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) installed on your PC to run Java code. At the enterprise level, you can write server-side code that runs in the Java 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE) environment. You can write reusable components called Java Beans. Let's see...I think that's all the buzzwords.

It would definitely be a good class to take. Even if you never use Java again (which probably means you wind up working in a .NET shop instead), it's a great way to learn about object oriented programming.

XBox Live: Vulcan Draggon Steam: Vulcan Dragon
[B]Currently Playing: Metro: Last Night (X360), Minecraft Story Mode (PC), Fallout 4 VR (Vive)
Recently Finished: Mafia II (Xbox 360)
Updated June 21, 2019
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 03:11 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 85 (Unique: 64)
It's also a great way to learn how to work around the syntax of a broken language.

I'd suggest that you take Java, not so much because the language is worth anything--which I am convinced that it is certainly not; the write-one-run-anywhere mantra isn't all it's cracked up to be--but because more universities seem to be using Java as an introductory programming language.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 07:38 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 218 (Unique: 131)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaimus
I'd suggest that you take Java, not so much because the language is worth anything--which I am convinced that it is certainly not; the write-one-run-anywhere mantra isn't all it's cracked up to be
True. I was laughing when they touted that as some new innovation in programming. Um, Sun? USCD Pascal was compiling to bytecode on my Apple II in the early 80s. Same thing, different day.

Quote:
--but because more universities seem to be using Java as an introductory programming language.
That is a good thing, actually. A lot of IT shops actually do use Java and J2EE, so there is a good shot that the language you use in college will actually be beneficial to you in your career. When I was in school, they had us using Pascal. It's a great educational language (for many of the same reasons that Java is), and I thought it was great at the time because I was already self-taught (from my Apple, of course). But no one, and I mean no one, uses Pascal in the real world. It is a dead language. They should have been shoving C and C++ down my throat, those were the langages to know when I graduated. (Not that I should complain, I didn't stay a programmer for long. I eventually moved into the database world, much more interesting to me.)

XBox Live: Vulcan Draggon Steam: Vulcan Dragon
[B]Currently Playing: Metro: Last Night (X360), Minecraft Story Mode (PC), Fallout 4 VR (Vive)
Recently Finished: Mafia II (Xbox 360)
Updated June 21, 2019
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 09:56 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 262 (Unique: 154)
I wish my school offered that. I got to a small High school id be lucky to see like 3-10 people who even know what java is...no the cofee...sad but true lol. My school used to have aprogram like when i was just getting nito middle school..lol.. that was like teaching VB i think and i asked my math teach he said like 3-5 people would take it then less and less so they cancled it..I have afew friends whod prolly liek to learn i wonder if i can get em to make another program lol

All overclock, all the time
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 02:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
i took it this year and i loved it, so much u can do with it, i wouldnt try to learn it over the summer by urself cus u wont get anywhere, just wait till enxt year b/c u'll prolly get some type of library that is made for begginers which will help u get used to java
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 03:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 11)
And here I thought it was coffee...

j/k

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 12:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 42 (Unique: 39)
your school offers programming courses

im sooo jelous, my school doesnt offer crap, our tech guy prob. couldnt spell windows if i offered him a hundred dollars to.

java is a great programming language, but a bit confusing.

i tought it to myself but that was a while ago, now i know C++ and visual basic.

java is a great way to make web apps tho.

if i were u i'd go for it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in