Python or PHP - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Python or PHP

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
thatlinuxdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: South Australia
Posts: 20
Rep: 0
Hello, peeps im wondering what language i should use for a project im working on, its a website biggrin.gif not gonna say much
but here goes

what language would be better overall for what im planning to do

i know C and haven't done C++ for a while frown.gif its just i don't have time to learn c++ i don't use oop anyway so i don't really see any point but hey its still a great language

i plan to use Databases ie MYSQL, SQLLITE?? i think thats whats it called.
file storage and moving files
dynamic websites, ie user makes a profile it generates a website based on this information

so what overall programming language would be better?
Python or PHP and is Php Opp based and how long would it take for me to learn it, i already know lots of c biggrin.gif

thanks people


and can you reccomened me some books or tutorails for the language you think would be better biggrin.gif

Code, Code, Drink a coffee, Code, Code, Heart Palpation's, Passout, Wednesday
thatlinuxdude is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 07:37 PM
Fantastic Mr Fox
 
randomizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,845
Rep: 175 (Unique: 120)
PHP will be the easiest to deploy because you won't find a host that doesn't support it (though if you use some of the new PHP 5.5 features you might have trouble for a little while). Unfortunately it's also a ghastly language to write that gains new features half a decade after all the rest. I would only use it for smaller projects or when I have a nice framework to hide the disaster underneath, but you may find that you don't mind it nearly as much (I didn't mind it until I tried other languages).

Personally I'd go with Ruby biggrin.gif

CPU
i7 920 D0
Motherboard
MSI X58 Pro-E
GPU
Gigabyte GTX 970 (GV-N970IX-4GD)
RAM
3x2GB G.Skill DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24
Hard Drive
840 Pro
Hard Drive
Caviar Black
Optical Drive
LG BD-ROM
Power Supply
Corsair HX-520
Case
CM690
Operating System
Windows 8.1 Pro x64
Monitor
Dell U2713HM
Monitor
Dell U2311H
Keyboard
Turbo-Trak (Google it :D)
Mouse
Mionix Avior 7000
Mouse
Everglide Titan
Audio
AKG K 242 HD
▲ hide details ▲
randomizer is offline  
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
thatlinuxdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: South Australia
Posts: 20
Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomizer View Post

PHP will be the easiest to deploy because you won't find a host that doesn't support it (though if you use some of the new PHP 5.5 features you might have trouble for a little while). Unfortunately it's also a ghastly language to write that gains new features half a decade after all the rest. I would only use it for smaller projects or when I have a nice framework to hide the disaster underneath, but you may find that you don't mind it nearly as much (I didn't mind it until I tried other languages).

Personally I'd go with Ruby biggrin.gif

I know ruby she used to be my freind a while in high school until she moved to western australia
jokes wink.gif but on the mean side, how hard is ruby? is it easier does it support everything php does? or something else biggrin.gif

Code, Code, Drink a coffee, Code, Code, Heart Palpation's, Passout, Wednesday
thatlinuxdude is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 07:49 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
____'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 1,295
Rep: 70 (Unique: 61)
Python is awesome to write, Ruby is made of magic.

Python would be the fastest to learn by far.

#1 Mio fan


____ is offline  
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 08:19 PM
The debug-inator
 
tompsonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 10,717
From a (now ex) PHP developer for 6 years: If I had the choice to go back, I'd not choose PHP. It certainly works, but I had a lot of headaches, mainly due to its various inconsistencies.
tompsonn is offline  
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 08:28 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
abombthecoder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 175
Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Because you know C and don't have any python or what appears to be server side development skills, I'd choose PHP.

I do contract work as a php developer but also know a bajillion other languages including python. Python is one of my favorite languages to program in but it can be hard to find a web server running it unless you're running your own linux/osx server or you have VPS to a linux machine. Plus you need to use a web framework like Django, CherryPy, or Pylons. So you'd have to learn that too. Just go with PHP if you want to get it done.

Also PHP can be a fine choice if you're a good programmer and use good practices, but it's easy to write horrible ****ty PHP and get away with it.
abombthecoder is offline  
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 08:37 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
xyexz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Plymouth, MN
Posts: 467
Rep: 45 (Unique: 33)
Pretty much what others have stated, I used PHP way back before I found there was better paying jobs in .NET - it was an okay language but tedious at times.

It can be nice if you really take your time and create reusable objects etc, actually it's pretty much the same for any other language.

I think what I found to be a pita in PHP was the data access objects they constantly kept changing around and also it's really easy to mash together design and logic into a big pile of steaming crap - something a good developer would never do.

Back when I was knee deep into PHP development I believe smarty templates was the way to go to separate out the logic layer from the design layer - not sure if there is something out there that is better now, I'm sure there is.

Don't get sucked into the all Zend framework crap, it was stupid terrible back when PHP 4.0 was coming out; idk maybe that's all changed now.
xyexz is offline  
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
thatlinuxdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: South Australia
Posts: 20
Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by abombthecoder View Post

Because you know C and don't have any python or what appears to be server side development skills, I'd choose PHP.

I do contract work as a php developer but also know a bajillion other languages including python. Python is one of my favorite languages to program in but it can be hard to find a web server running it unless you're running your own linux/osx server or you have VPS to a linux machine. Plus you need to use a web framework like Django, CherryPy, or Pylons. So you'd have to learn that too. Just go with PHP if you want to get it done.

Also PHP can be a fine choice if you're a good programmer and use good practices, but it's easy to write horrible ****ty PHP and get away with it.

i have a few linux boxes that i used to use for FTP/SMTP/HTTP serving biggrin.gif the only issue is my upload speed is only 800kbps frown.gif

so python will be fine? for what i want to do?

Code, Code, Drink a coffee, Code, Code, Heart Palpation's, Passout, Wednesday
thatlinuxdude is offline  
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 08:41 PM
The debug-inator
 
tompsonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 10,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyexz View Post

Pretty much what others have stated, I used PHP way back before I found there was better paying jobs in .NET - it was an okay language but tedious at times.

It can be nice if you really take your time and create reusable objects etc, actually it's pretty much the same for any other language.

I think what I found to be a pita in PHP was the data access objects they constantly kept changing around and also it's really easy to mash together design and logic into a big pile of steaming crap - something a good developer would never do.

Back when I was knee deep into PHP development I believe smarty templates was the way to go to separate out the logic layer from the design layer - not sure if there is something out there that is better now, I'm sure there is.

Don't get sucked into the all Zend framework crap, it was stupid terrible back when PHP 4.0 was coming out; idk maybe that's all changed now.

I wrote my own template system because I didn't like Smarty... lol. Didn't like Zend either so I wrote my own application framework too. Those were the days...
tompsonn is offline  
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 12:16 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
abombthecoder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 175
Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatlinuxdude View Post

i have a few linux boxes that i used to use for FTP/SMTP/HTTP serving biggrin.gif the only issue is my upload speed is only 800kbps frown.gif

so python will be fine? for what i want to do?

I strongly recommending getting the excellent and easy to read book, "PHP and MySQL Web Development 4th ed", blaze through then you'll have all the skills you need to get your job done quick. I don't know of simple python book that covers python, django and mysql. You'd probably need to first find a book on python then find a book on django which will hopefully also cover mysql. Python will be perfect for the job too, but you gotta get cracking on it.
abombthecoder is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off