A thought provoking tangent - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

A thought provoking tangent

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
This is all from a theoretical+unprofessional standpointThe study of Artificial Intelligence, is dedicated to creating a "Human Mind" of sorts.
A Human Mind is a machine that can produce logical solutions to complex problems. It can also store these in "Memory" and use them to solve other problems down the road. (Don't worry, things will get more complicated, I wouldn't disappoint would I?) So, our AI will begin with an algorithm of sorts, that have set reactions to things, call them emotions. Our emotions give us a basic logical code to follow, that can then by edited using the solutions to past problems. Or our "Memories" our memories can store data, but they can also store what we deduced about them afterwards. For example, you solved a problem of you math test, and as soon as you hand it in, you realize you have gotten a problem wrong. Your memories record both your answer to the problem, and what you thought of it, in this case you thought it was a mistake.
This mistake is then reprocessed by the algorithm to decipher what you did wrong. It then codes "what you did wrong/right" into the algorithm, telling it to repeat/not do again respectively. This means that ultimately we could throw infinite problems at it, and soon it should gather a complete knowledge of everything ever. Right? No. Your brain, believe it or not, "glitches", or makes random mistakes. If we've got any other programmers reading this, they know that random is a big no-no. That if you continue searching, if it takes infinity, you will find a pattern. Well that is no problem, you'd think. We could just try to find the pattern in human error. To which I would reply by stating the inhumanity of such an act. As well as the fact that it could be impossible. To perform such an experiment you would have to lock up a human, with no contact to the outside world, for what could be an infinity. There's the impossible part.
Humans are Mortal, which means they die, and cannot live for infinity solving problems, and even if we did make that humanity immortal, our entire galaxy is a ticking time bomb, a massive collision will occur in the future between our galaxy and the Andromeda Galaxy. Ending all life in the Milky Way. Here's a bit of a kicker, if we can find our pattern before we are completely obliterated we can use our AI, in all of its Buddah like, know all see all enlightenment, to find a solution to our ticking time bomb we call the Milky Way. So the million dollar question, do the ends justify the means? In any situation, do the ends justify the means? I guess we could ask our Buddah AI, if we had him. So whats your input, do the ends justify the means, and if we have any AI Pros out there, (by no means am I) did I represent AI even remotely? Also due to the tangential nature of this post will it be removed? I hope not, I spent like 30 minutes on it tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 07:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 94 (Unique: 83)
I tried to read it, but couldn't get through the first few lines. Maybe you could split it into paragraphs? I just can't follow it on a screen when it is that long.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Edited! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 08:24 PM
The debug-inator

Formatted for the good of the eyes of this community.
Quote:
This is all from a theoretical+unprofessional standpoint

The study of Artificial Intelligence, is dedicated to creating a "Human Mind" of sorts.

A Human Mind is a machine that can produce logical solutions to complex problems. It can also store these in "Memory" and use them to solve other problems down the road. (Don't worry, things will get more complicated, I wouldn't disappoint would I?) So, our AI will begin with an algorithm of sorts, that have set reactions to things, call them emotions. Our emotions give us a basic logical code to follow, that can then by edited using the solutions to past problems. Or our "Memories" our memories can store data, but they can also store what we deduced about them afterwards.

For example, you solved a problem of you math test, and as soon as you hand it in, you realize you have gotten a problem wrong. Your memories record both your answer to the problem, and what you thought of it, in this case you thought it was a mistake.
This mistake is then reprocessed by the algorithm to decipher what you did wrong. It then codes "what you did wrong/right" into the algorithm, telling it to repeat/not do again respectively.

This means that ultimately we could throw infinite problems at it, and soon it should gather a complete knowledge of everything ever. Right? No. Your brain, believe it or not, "glitches", or makes random mistakes. If we've got any other programmers reading this, they know that random is a big no-no. That if you continue searching, if it takes infinity, you will find a pattern.

Well that is no problem, you'd think. We could just try to find the pattern in human error. To which I would reply by stating the inhumanity of such an act. As well as the fact that it could be impossible. To perform such an experiment you would have to lock up a human, with no contact to the outside world, for what could be an infinity. There's the impossible part.

Humans are Mortal, which means they die, and cannot live for infinity solving problems, and even if we did make that humanity immortal, our entire galaxy is a ticking time bomb, a massive collision will occur in the future between our galaxy and the Andromeda Galaxy. Ending all life in the Milky Way. Here's a bit of a kicker, if we can find our pattern before we are completely obliterated we can use our AI, in all of its Buddah like, know all see all enlightenment, to find a solution to our ticking time bomb we call the Milky Way.

So the million dollar question, do the ends justify the means? In any situation, do the ends justify the means? I guess we could ask our Buddah AI, if we had him. So whats your input, do the ends justify the means, and if we have any AI Pros out there, (by no means am I) did I represent AI even remotely? Also due to the tangential nature of this post will it be removed? I hope not, I spent like 30 minutes on it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 09:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 158 (Unique: 128)
The Andromeda–Milky Way collision is not going to be a problem.

1. The distances between stars is so great that star-star collisions are remote. Even when the black holes at the center of the galaxies merge the most likely thing to happen is that Sol System will be pushed farther from the galactic core with no ill affect. The next most likely thing is that the whole solar system will be ejected from the new galaxy altogether, also with no ill affects.

2. The galactic collision will occur in about 4 billions years, but sometime about 3.5 billion years from now all life on Earth will have already ended because the Sun would have entered it's red giant phase and become hotter and brighter, boiling the oceans and turning any organic matter on the face of the planet to ash.

3. The all knowing AI can never do one thing that is important to the situation, dream. The creative process that leads to inventions. Imagination that allowed the Wright brothers to build the first plane, Werner Von Braun to create the first sub-orbital rocket, or Gene Roddenberry giving Capt. Kirk the first flip-phone. All the AI could do is solve problems based on accumulated knowledge. It could never make that final leap that requires inspiration.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.slick View Post

3. The all knowing AI can never do one thing that is important to the situation, dream. The creative process that leads to inventions. Imagination that allowed the Wright brothers to build the first plane, Werner Von Braun to create the first sub-orbital rocket, or Gene Roddenberry giving Capt. Kirk the first flip-phone. All the AI could do is solve problems based on accumulated knowledge. It could never make that final leap that requires inspiration.
Well why not. If we knew what dreams were, and how we dream them, I reckon it would be quite easy to recreate. But that's the problem, we don't.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in