Important: About posting for help with code - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Important: About posting for help with code

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter
The debug-inator

Howdy smile.gif

This is just a quick reminder to all those seeking help with any sort of code.

Because I'm all about choice, I have only three very simple rules to help keep section running nicely and tidy:

1. Please don't request for one-on-one support (e.g. asking for help on Skype/Steam/PM etc as it removes potentially helpful content from the entire community).
  2. Please always use [CODE] tags when submitting any type of code. Free text or [QUOTE] tags are not acceptable. If I see it I will fix it.
  3. Try to stay away from "homework" type questions where possible. If you must ask a question about homework or study/course related, please do not expect code to be spoon fed to you.
    • On that note, please do not copy and paste the entire homework or course question into your thread. I will lock threads that do this and PM you to change the content if you do this.

That's all folks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 07:54 PM
I Can Change This???

Rep: 13 (Unique: 12)
I'm gonna offer some beginner/intermediate support for Visual Basic users. I understand you don't want people requesting one-on-one sessions, because it removes the step-by-step process we took to solve the issue. I understand how useful it is when you do a search and find someone's exact problem (probably most of the threads that got me through the day were these public threads). However, sometimes a one-on-one session is more appropriate. Sometimes you can spend hours on an issue (I've been there) and it can really clog up a thread.

If I find it appropriate to move someone to a one-on-one session, am I allowed to if I (or the user) post the results? That way, there is still helpful content in the thread without all the junk in between.

Looking to sell your GPU? I'm always looking to add more to my folding collection. PM me.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
The debug-inator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontney View Post

I'm gonna offer some beginner/intermediate support for Visual Basic users. I understand you don't want people requesting one-on-one sessions, because it removes the step-by-step process we took to solve the issue. I understand how useful it is when you do a search and find someone's exact problem (probably most of the threads that got me through the day were these public threads). However, sometimes a one-on-one session is more appropriate. Sometimes you can spend hours on an issue (I've been there) and it can really clog up a thread.

If I find it appropriate to move someone to a one-on-one session, am I allowed to if I (or the user) post the results? That way, there is still helpful content in the thread without all the junk in between.

Its more about specifically asking for a one-on-one rather than actively offering it. However it would be nice indeed if the help can be presented as a case study in a thread too smile.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in