What are some good places to learn coding online? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

What are some good places to learn coding online?

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 12:37 AM
Old dog, old tricks

Rep: 574 (Unique: 474)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITAngel View Post

I think it come down to narrowing things down like which 3 languages are good for people to start programming and understanding programming. Maybe introduction to programming between languages for those that don't go to college and take computer science degree. When I started I was looking at 3 programs, Python, Ruby, and SQL. Found Python nice to work with but Ruby more flexible and SQL was what my job position needed. So I ended up going into Oracle SQL and PL-SQL. biggrin.gif Still learning this stuff since I come from a background of Networking and Communication. To some degree it helped me narrow the language down but to others so many roads to take is not even funny. Some harder than others too. biggrin.gif

Languages I am suppose to learn and do well at my position are

1. PL-SQL
2. SQL
3. C#
4. VB.NET

At least that is what my employer would like me to focus on. biggrin.gif

Knowing C# pretty much makes VB.NET pointless, they do the same thing, assemblies compiled with one can be used by the other, the only reason I have ever seen of recommending VB over C# is that it may be easier to get into, but if you are expected to learn both, it's just a waste of time IMO.
SQL and C# are the backbone of writing software for Windows right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 07:47 AM
Dev

Rep: 23 (Unique: 23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnin426850 View Post

Knowing C# pretty much makes VB.NET pointless, they do the same thing, assemblies compiled with one can be used by the other, the only reason I have ever seen of recommending VB over C# is that it may be easier to get into, but if you are expected to learn both, it's just a waste of time IMO.
SQL and C# are the backbone of writing software for Windows right now.

I agree with you. I failed to state that was the languages they wanted experience on at the time like one or two out of those. Mainly they want me to focus on PL-SQL, SQL, and C#.
I am doing okay but having a hard time as I see my progress just going slow. I started working on these languages in 1/2016 and prior to that I was playing lightly with Python and Ruby trying to get a feel between the two languages.
So I am pretty much a noob to this coding stuff and I been debating if boot-camp would help or not to advance quicker my skill sets. For now books and udemy have been my best friend plus online resources. biggrin.gif

Update:
Useful sites I been using Code Academy & Tutorials Point.

CPU: Intel i9-9900K |MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Extreme |VIDEO: MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio |RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3000Mhz 32GB 4x8 |CASE: O11-Dynamic Razer Edition |M.2: SAMSUNG 970 500GB (Win)|M.2: SAMSUNG 970 250GB (Games) |SSD: SAMSUNG EVO 850 500GB (Games)|PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM850x |COOLER: be quiet Dark Rock TF 220W TDP.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 03:07 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
www.gamedev.net, for game development.

C# is a good mix. C++ more technical.

Visual studio community is free. Can be a bit daunting, but it's a good development environment, and has plenty of support.

As for books and tutorials, not really sure tbh. There is a lot of material available.

Language is largely irrelevant, it depends on what's available to you, what's used in tutorials and courses, so you can relate, and I suppose, what you want to do. C# covers the basics and then some.but more important is understanding the principles, paradigms, and design. You don't just code to code, you code to solve a specific problem or problems, however small or large.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 06:41 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Codecademy is indisputably the most famous website to teach you to code interactively

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in