Freelancer for a decade, first fulltime dev job and need alot of advice! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Freelancer for a decade, first fulltime dev job and need alot of advice!

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 317 (Unique: 244)
I have been a (mostly) website and graphic designer for a decade now freelance for clients I found and onboarded and all that. I am self taught and have had an incredible journey with my freelancing career, but now I have just finished my first week as a fulltime front end dev for a nice studio out of Vermont! Its an awesome and totally foreign feeling, for sure. So I need some help!

I more or less just have my PC, dying monitor, and a makeshift desk and some notebooks. Due to a fire that was a total loss a year or so ago, I need a whole new setup. From reference charts and books to my desk and keyboard/mouse and I need a double or triple monitor setup going asap. So I really need a whole new everything from top to bottom! I know this is alot of stuff to ask about and I dont really have an overall price or price for any of these, but they are all more or less need asap on some real level and I need to start sorting options and choosing things and planning prices and all that! biggrin.gif

-Desk [L shaped is all I desire, aside from decent price to quality.
-Chair
-Lighting
-Monitor mounts?
-Safe [to pile all the loots! FIRE RESISTANT!]
-Battery backup
-desk/office organization/structuring related

-2-3 monitors [For main PC set up]
-Laptop and/or tablet [for mobile coding/work]
-Network attached storage? [for backups of my clients,projects,work,etc]
-Portable hotspot or similar options [for net on the go from (almost) anywhere. current cell plan is capped at 10gb/month]
-keyboard(s)
-mice to try,
-cheap printer [with decent ratio of output black and white prints for the cost/ink?]

-Programming tools/IDEs. [Currently I use notepad++, filezilla, and firefox with plugins and do it all by hand. I need to use alot of css, sass, bootstrap, php, etc with new job.]
-web coding and related books and materials
-reference/cheat sheets (physical)

A-E-I-OWNED-YOU for OCN staff 2014!

Syrillian, gone but never ever forgotten...
#AntiSec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 04:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 96 (Unique: 76)
I bought a nice cheap L shaped desk from Ikea for pretty darn cheap.

Past that, I dont know. It depends on your budget. You can buy a cheapo thingy for 1/3 the price, or you can buy something nicer that perhaps will last longer. Things like Monitor mounts i feel are un-needed. I use a 3 monitor setup at home, and 4 at work. Basically the standard Left Middle Right, but at work I have a BIG flatscreen mounted on the wall right above the center screen. (Works wonders when i need to show people stuff.)

Spend a little bit more and get a nice laptop and use that for your main computer. Get a docking station for home, and with that, you wont need to worry about getting a UPS. Just make sure you have everything on a surge protector.

As for Safe.. Look into getting a safety deposit box at a nearby bank. They tend to be a lot cheaper than people think.

NAS... Depends. I personally dont care for NAS's but it depends on how much storage you need. My friend put a 128GB SSD into his laptop and then put a piece of Velcro on the back of the monitor that he sticks a 1TB drive to as an external drive. It works out really well.

Books... no need. Google has far more information than a Book. From what it sounds, you have been doing this enough to just look up an API and know what to do.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 04:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 55 (Unique: 51)
I can only comment on one thing you mentioned and that is your monitor requirements. Have you thought about a 21:9 monitor, mainly the 3440x1440 varity?

I have the LG curved one, and i have to say it amazing for workspace, it is basically like having 2 monitors but without the bezzel in the middle. I do small amounts of video editing for family films and some streaming etc, the ability to have a full 1080p image on one side of the screen and then your editing software below it and to the right is fantastic. It is in my opinion much more efficient.
The LG screen i have can also split the creen in 2 so that you can have 2 seperate inputs on screen at the same time.

Heres a small selection of a few 21:9 monitors http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/widen-your-resolution-and-wallet-with-the-these-ultra-wide-219-monitors/

There is a video review from LinusTechTips here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/219399-lg-34uc97/

I am so use to having the desktop space with my home PC that when i have to revert back to a 16:9 monitor at work i hate how everything is crammed in a small space.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 11:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 341 (Unique: 284)
If you are programming for the web , as i am sure you know, the computing requirements are more of a none issue. Assuming you only need to work, I would recommend going simple. Get a notebook with a decent size screen (whatever your comfort is, I prefer 13 inches). I would suggest probably an i5 processor with 8gb of memory. Go for build quality over specs value.

I like Asus myself

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232376

Any modern desktop will be fine. As will any configuration of monitors. Personally, I do all of my programming on my 13 inch ultra book. I use multiple desktops in linux instead of multiple montiors. At home I have three cheap 1080p TN panels that work well enough, mounted to the wall with 20 dollar mounting brackets.

For web programming I don't know of too many good IDEs. There are lots of guys making the web like yourself, who don't come from a university or professional background. If you have gotten this far without an IDE, I don't see the need to adopt one now.

Personally I am doing a lot of programming in the MEAN stack. My setup is really simple. I have nodemon running through the terminal, which automatically refreshes my server ever time I make a change. I use sublime text editor with a Jade package, which gives me some simple text highlighting when I am programming my HTML. I use git through the terminal for version control, and I collaborate with my team through github.

When I am programming on my personal website I use a simple FTP client, a web browser (chrome has some pretty nice dev tools) and my favorite text editor. I use notepad++ a lot when I am working on large files, and it has some pretty nice features. If you are comfortable with that I recommend sticking with it. You should know, for what it is worth, all the 'cool kids' are using sublime right now, so if you are feeling adventurous, I would go ahead and give it a shot. Compared to notepad++ they are pretty similar, with sublime having a bit more bling and some more robust features for hotkeys, file viewing, and auto filling.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 07:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviousAddict View Post

I can only comment on one thing you mentioned and that is your monitor requirements. Have you thought about a 21:9 monitor, mainly the 3440x1440 varity?

I have the LG curved one, and i have to say it amazing for workspace, it is basically like having 2 monitors but without the bezzel in the middle. I do small amounts of video editing for family films and some streaming etc, the ability to have a full 1080p image on one side of the screen and then your editing software below it and to the right is fantastic. It is in my opinion much more efficient.
The LG screen i have can also split the creen in 2 so that you can have 2 seperate inputs on screen at the same time.

Heres a small selection of a few 21:9 monitors http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/widen-your-resolution-and-wallet-with-the-these-ultra-wide-219-monitors/

There is a video review from LinusTechTips here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/219399-lg-34uc97/

I am so use to having the desktop space with my home PC that when i have to revert back to a 16:9 monitor at work i hate how everything is crammed in a small space.

How much is the power consumption?

Furmark: 6151 points | 3dmark-1 | 3dmark-2 | 3dmark-3 | 3dmark-4 | 3dmark-5 | Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0: Basic: 2645 Extreme: 1041 | Bioshock Infinite: 41.69 ([email protected]) | CPU Passmark: 4511 | Memory bandwitdh 1st GPU: 2,9 Gb/s (x16) | 2nd GPU: 1,7-1,9 Gb/s (x4)
-~+~-+-~+~-:-~+~-.-~+~-~+~-+-~+~-:-~+~-.-~+~-+-~+~-:-~+~-.-~+~-+-~+~-.-~+~-+-~+~-:-~+~-.-~+~-+-~+~-
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 07:32 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 55 (Unique: 51)
I don't have anything to measure it manually, but from a review i found ( http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/monitors/83209-lg-34uc97-monitor/?page=3 )
They say about 60 watts during a full white screen & 50 watts during a full black screen.

However they have recently released an update to the 34UC97 which has far less back light bleed, the 34UC98 http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34UC98-W-ultrawide-monitor

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 08:32 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 19)
Wow expensive but low power draw!

Furmark: 6151 points | 3dmark-1 | 3dmark-2 | 3dmark-3 | 3dmark-4 | 3dmark-5 | Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0: Basic: 2645 Extreme: 1041 | Bioshock Infinite: 41.69 ([email protected]) | CPU Passmark: 4511 | Memory bandwitdh 1st GPU: 2,9 Gb/s (x16) | 2nd GPU: 1,7-1,9 Gb/s (x4)
-~+~-+-~+~-:-~+~-.-~+~-~+~-+-~+~-:-~+~-.-~+~-+-~+~-:-~+~-.-~+~-+-~+~-.-~+~-+-~+~-:-~+~-.-~+~-+-~+~-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in