Coder job position - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Coder job position

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 04:55 PM
Not New to Overclock.net

Rep: 80 (Unique: 63)
I think number 6 might be PI. Maybe they want to see if you know how to manually put PI into a variable?

CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.875 GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Prime X370-Pro
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 2114 MHz 356 GB/s
RAM
G.SKILL 2x8GB 3126 MHz 12-13-13-32-1T 48 tRC
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB
Power Supply
Seasonic Platinum 660XP
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Cooling
2 x Cougar CF-V12HP Top Intake
Cooling
Noctua NF-F12 2000 RPM Rear Exhaust
Cooling
2 x Phanteks F140SP Front Intake
Cooling
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut TIM
Case
Corsair Carbide Air 540
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit
Monitor
ASUS MG279Q 1440p IPS 150 Hz OC
Keyboard
Ducky Shine 5 MX Brown
Mouse
Logitech G203 Prodigy
Audio
Schiit Asgard 2
Audio
OPPO PM-3
Audio
HIFIMAN HE-560
Audio
Cambridge DacMagic 100
CPU
AMD Phenom 9650 2.83 GHz
Motherboard
Foxconn A74MX-K
RAM
OCZ 1x1GB DDR2 533 MHz 5-4-4-15-1T 15 tRC
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB
Power Supply
OCZ StealthXStream 2 500W
Cooling
Ryzen Wraith + Zip Ties
Cooling
Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 07:49 PM
Fantastic Mr Fox

Rep: 175 (Unique: 120)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiERiT View Post

I can understand a couple to test someone's critical thinking skills, but this many seems silly.

If you want to test critical thinking then give someone a real problem to solve instead of pretending you are Edward Nigma.

CPU
i7 920 D0
Motherboard
MSI X58 Pro-E
GPU
Gigabyte GTX 970 (GV-N970IX-4GD)
RAM
3x2GB G.Skill DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24
Hard Drive
840 Pro
Hard Drive
Caviar Black
Optical Drive
LG BD-ROM
Power Supply
Corsair HX-520
Case
CM690
Operating System
Windows 8.1 Pro x64
Monitor
Dell U2713HM
Monitor
Dell U2311H
Keyboard
Turbo-Trak (Google it :D)
Mouse
Mionix Avior 7000
Mouse
Everglide Titan
Audio
AKG K 242 HD
▲ hide details ▲
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 11:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 96 (Unique: 76)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ha-Nocri View Post

So, I'm applying for a job at a company that has a very strange application form. Here are some questions that I would appreciate thought and/or help about:

1. The day before yesterday, is two days after Wednesday. What day is today and why?

Sunday. So, the day before yesterday is Friday, as it is 2 days after Wednesday. Yesterday was Saturday, and today is Sunday.

2. Even if every single person in the world dies, human race will continue to exist. How come?

Have no idea is this is a reference to something or what?

3. Who's cat thinks outside the box when it exists?

Since I'm living in a non-English speaking country and it's important to know the language, I assume this tests will I notice that it should be "whose", not "who's". Or am I wrong?

4. What is the airspeed of an unladen swallow?

This is from a Monty Python movie. The answer is "What do you mean, an African or European Swallow?"

5. Why are prime numbers awesome?

I know what they are, but why are they awesome?

6. After learning about the greatest number ever defined and used in mathematics (show us some Google skills), how would you "write" every single digit of this number?

Not sure what this is. I found the Graham's number. Is that it?

Tnx

1. They are giving you a logic problem and you need to be able to communicate your solution. The WHY is the important part for the question.
2. This is more outside the box thinking, basically a philosophical question. What does it mean to exist? Once something exists, and can never be undone. You can take an event and trace some minute detail all they way back to that existence, kinda like the butterfly effect.
3. (There is no wrong answer here. It is just outside the box thinking) 32% of people who own cats. Thinking outside the box is a process to to solve a problem outside the norm. A standard deviation in a normal distribution is a good unit to simulate what a normal result would be. So, 68% of cats think inside the box ,while 32% would think outside the box.
4 . You dont want to answer a question with a question, so you should allude to it and add to your best guess. If you average the African and European Swallows, it should be roughly 11 meters per second.
5. Prime numbers are awesome because they used for cryptography and when i think of cryptography i think of spy's, and then i think of James Bond... so Prime numbers are the James Bonds of numbers.
6 If i were to write the individual digits instead of the symbol, i would basically put a line over the number 9.

I personally think these are great questions for job applications. You cant GOOGLE the real answers, this is how people actually think. Using my answers would be cheating tho =P

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 12:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15 (Unique: 13)
#2 is schrodinger's cat

Ignorance does not hate nor does it care and thus i neither liked you or hate you. Thus bringing forth eternal peace.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 12:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
1. The day before yesterday, is two days after Wednesday. What day is today and why?

Just answer what day it is today. First sentence is not a question. My guess to what they are after, anyways.

2. Even if every single person in the world dies, human race will continue to exist. How come?

Every person dies, but not at the same time. No riddle here..

3. Who's cat thinks outside the box when it exists?

Not sure about this one. Sounds like a Schrodinger's cat ref. as mentioned, but you are right, there are two grammar mistakes.

4. What is the airspeed of an unladen swallow?

11 m/s This one you can google. But yes, it's a quote from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

5. Why are prime numbers awesome?

Just bring up an example, like the cicadas.

6. After learning about the greatest number ever defined and used in mathematics (show us some Google skills), how would you "write" every single digit of this number?

You are right, as far as I know. It's the Graham's number.
A definition of a number, is just as much a number, as a series of digits.
Both are explanations, describing the number, using a known system, and other numbers. Just write the definition.

But these are my answers, the point is for you to come up with your own after all =) Good luck.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 07:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 62 (Unique: 53)
I don't think number 1 is right read it again. Just think about number 1 again, and read what its saying. they are saying that the day ( no matter what it is) after yesterday (here is the key word) IS 2 days after Wednesday. They are saying the day whatever it is is 2 days after Wednesday. The answer is Friday. They are asking what the day is. Its Friday because its 2 days after Wednesday.

Jeffrey M Edson
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 08:05 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 33 (Unique: 20)
Number 6 (especially with the hint) sounds like they want you to say googolplexian.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 08:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

Unless I'm just stupid, that sounds right to me. They want you to overthink it. Sometimes overthinking is just as bad as not thinking. I can see where you got Sunday now, after drawing it out, but it seems like a confusing question. Maybe they want to see if you will draw out a solution.

Jeffrey M Edson
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 08:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 276 (Unique: 256)
These are the dumbest questions I've ever seen for a job position. I wouldn't take the job even if they threw money at me.

They'd ask why I don't want the job, then I'd shoot back with a bunch of random stupid questions that have nothing to do with the reason why I didn't take the job...my point exactly. thumb.gif

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 08:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

Can someone elaborate further than on number 1, personally the rest of the question is just stupid, but I know today is Friday so that is all that matters.

Jeffrey M Edson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in