Mobile app coding? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Mobile app coding?

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter

Hey all,

I am interested in starting to program a mobile app - can anyone give me any pointers of where to start?

Much appreciated smile.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 12:24 AM
New001

Visual Studio 2015 can be downloaded for free and supports cross-platform development in C++ and JavaScript.
https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/features/mobile-app-development-vs.aspx

If you are creating an app for Android and iOS, and you haven't used C++ or JavaScript or any of the libraries for mobile app development, you will probably make something simple enough that you can write it once and use VisualStudio to produce the app for each platform. If you are producing complex apps, you should probably write the app twice, once for each platform, to ensure you get the best performance and avoid issues.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 07:35 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 52 (Unique: 34)
You might to give Xamarin a try. It is a Microsoft software which works very well with visual studio. Moreover, I believe learning HTML, CSS and JavaScript will allow you to create applications which are cross platform. Again sign up for Microsoft Virtual Academy, they have tons of tutorials there. Also check Channel 9.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 09:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Would you guys recommend an app like Basic4Android? https://www.b4x.com/b4a.html

I'm somewhat fluent in VBA and .net so it looks like it's right up my ally.
I tried Eclipse years ago but unfortunately I couldn't get my head around Java

I'd be a lot more comfortable with this program and willing to pay for it, but just wanted to hear other people's opinions of it

post-flame-small.gifNew Zealand Overclock.net Clubpost-flame-small.gif
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 01:13 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 34 (Unique: 26)
I'm not a mobile app developer per se, I have created a basic Android app with only login capabilities / activity & fragment switching just for my own knowledge. However I've worked for a couple companies now that do app development.

My last company tried to use Xamarin for a while. They found that the documentation wasn't very accurate at times. They also found that they did not keep up with the newest iOS and Android versions at an adequate rate. Eventually they switched to native development for Android and iOS, with a shared REST api.

Take that as you will, I personally found creating simple Android apps to be somewhat easy. I didn't really know Java too well but the Android Studio IDE (Intellij) makes it very easy to pick up. I know nothing of Basic4Android, but I can imagine like other attempts to use other languages to build another language's apps, the implementation is likely not complete. At least in the case of Xamarin, the hassle of the framework outweighed the hassle of learning another language. And if you know one programming language, they generally aren't too much different.

eek.gifsniper.gif
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 01:43 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Thanks man. I'll give Android Studio a go. I'm starting to feel like I gave up too quick on the first go round

post-flame-small.gifNew Zealand Overclock.net Clubpost-flame-small.gif
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 01:48 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 34 (Unique: 26)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripjack View Post

Thanks man. I'll give Android Studio a go. I'm starting to feel like I gave up too quick on the first go round

Yep don't give up. I gave up before when it was Eclipse based (a couple years ago).

I found the most annoying part was working with the XML layouts (the view editor thing). It feels like if HTML got drunk and started eating paint. The actual programming behind it made a lot of sense after a few tutorial videos that explain the structure of Android apps.

eek.gifsniper.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in