Club or guild for [Windows game] "Screeps"? (just trying to gauge interest, more info in post) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Club or guild for [Windows game] "Screeps"? (just trying to gauge interest, more info in post)

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 72 (Unique: 57)
Screeps is a new game in pre-release testing available from Steam (and on the web) that revolves entirely around scripting units, in JavaScript.

It has kind of a unique business model. Something about the amount of processing time required and there's some kind of market...It's as if somebody had some idle CPU cycles on one of those Amazon (or similar) "cloud services" and decided to find a way to make money off them (I think that's that how compuserve started 30 years ago thumb.gif ).

It describes itself as an "MMO" with competing players scripting their units for defense and offense. I did do the first 3 or so steps of the tutorial provided on their web page and it seems almost like a super-slo-mo RTS, like StarCraft but it takes 18 hours to do something simple, like set up a defensive perimeter (I might be exaggerating a bit).

Here's one summary:
Quote:
Scripting as gameplay

Screeps is about scripting your creeps. No point’n’clicking any longer! You write real JavaScript* which controls your units autonomously. Any time, everywhere, even while you are offline.

I am actually still learning JavaScript, but I would like to believe between my prior experience trying to write it, the tutorials on screeps (on the web page and youtube) and the code academy course I'm taking that I am in fact making progress. I don't know if I'll ever have the coding skills necessary to create uniquely special scripts against the professional coders (and copy/pasters) that are also playing, but I still find the idea of the game really appealing.

Would anybody be interested in exploring it? Commenting? Mockery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 03:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 96 (Unique: 76)
Very interesting game. I have a couple issues with it. One is that its kinda pay to win. Faster servers, faster ticks = more money. I wonder if they have a rest interface or something so you can run your scripts locally without needing to buy CPUs. Another issue I have is that the forums will get filled with copy paste functions that are very optimized by expert JS programmers. I love the idea of trying to code my own intelligence, but if i need to compete with script kitties, then it wouldnt be fun. There is a question in regards to limitations of growth. What if someone gets really big... not much you could do about it. They decide they dont like you, they kill you. Is it one of those things where they reset the servers every week? I dont know enough about the game to get into it. It seems fun if you want to learn JS though. I mentioned doing something like this, but with cookie clickers. People grant themselves X Cookies, and then write their own algorithm to purchase stuff and see who can grow the fastest.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

The web site addresses the pay-to-play concerns a little bit. Honestly I don't know how big this game could really get. Outside of an educational thing I'm not sure what the appeal is. If a player is a professional programmer I assume it would be trivial to write something up in an hour. And if you don't know JS it's kind of a big barrier to entry. Which just leaves the middle: an interest in learning JS. If you're really a professional there's that ASM.JS library. That could really get some performance out of the lowest pay tier. If the game lets you use that. I don't know if you can or not.

I think they did mention a local server software release though. But it still goes through the same login. Something like that. I don't really get the payment thing myself. I assume that would become apparent as I started to setup my play area in the game and I started to run out of resources.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 03:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 96 (Unique: 76)
Its not about being a Javascript expert, but more about knowing how to optimize routines (not programming routines). More like a system engineer. A Six Sigma sort of person. The beauty of this game for engineers is the continuous improvement and optimization. The thrive for perfection using a skill they have. For me personally, this would be a better game if it were single player and played more like a dwarf fortress style.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

The developers have stated a stand alone server with AI competition is in development. Looks like they're not sure when it will be released, though. Screeps is still technically in pre-release status on steam.
http://support.screeps.com/hc/en-us/articles/211965405-Standalone-server-development-update

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in