Any programmers on a mac, here? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Any programmers on a mac, here?

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Right now I'm trying to learn some PHP, then back to html, CSS... maybe some others. But my main goal is to get into web dev, by being self taught, only on a hobby level for now.

Is a mac... more specifically a macbook air, a good computer for web developing? I'm thinking that I can get a used one for $400 off ebay, I found this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Macbook-Air-11-6-1-3-GHz-Core-i5-128-GB-SSD-4GB-RAM-Yosemite-MD711LL-A-/152233530373?hash=item2371d35405:g:Tw8AAOSwxg5X0HBg
Maybe have to replace the battery, maybe update to latest osx if I have to. But if the battery life is good enough and light enough to carry around, that's what I'm looking for. (Take it to work, to learn on, on breaks for now)

I've tried looking for new windows computers around this price, but I didn't really like any of them. I've also never really used a mac either. But have used a few different Linux and windows OS. I'm guessing I could also use it for school/college.

Do you think osx would be a good OS to learn PHP and other languages on? I've been doing a little bit of codecademy and TheNewBoston's youtube channel and have been wanting to get a book.

Thanks,
Higgins909
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 08:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 36 (Unique: 35)
I don't really think it matters which platform you code on, especially simple web development. I suggest checking out Brackets, if you haven't already discovered it.

Existence is Resistance
The Ryzenator
(17 items)
Surface Book
(0 items)
CPU
ryzen 1800x
Motherboard
MSI Arctic Mortar b350
GPU
Gigabyte 1080 TI AORUS
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3466 8GB x 2
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 850 500GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black 3TB
Power Supply
Corsair RM850x
Cooling
EK-CoolStream PE 360
Cooling
Corsair SP120
Cooling
EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM
Cooling
EK-Supremacy MX CPU Waterblock - Acetal
Cooling
EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Aorus - Acetal+Nickel
Case
Corsair 460x RGB
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
AOC AGON AG352UCG
Keyboard
Logitech G810
Mouse
Corsair Harpoon RGB
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 08:24 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 4426 (Unique: 2045)
Web development? Learn Javascript and associate frameworks.

A quality JS developer (Angular, Bootstrap, React, JQuery, Node.JS, etc) with a few years of experience can easily make $100K+ around me.

What machine you use doesn't matter... just get a good monitor and keyboard. MBA neither has a large monitor nor a great keyboard.

It's web development... what OS your machine runs doesn't matter that much.

To answer most of your questions: (1) a fridge cannot cool a PC (2) 64-bit OS for over 3.4GB (3) If a PCIe card fits, it should work (4) Resolution, not screen size (5) Report, not respond to Spam (6) Single-Rail/Non-Modular PSUs are not always better than Multi-Rail/Modular (7) Sequential does not matter as much as random for OS drives (8) Requirements come before hardware for servers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 07:47 PM
Not new to Overclock.net

Rep: 243 (Unique: 187)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgins909 View Post

I've tried looking for new windows computers around this price, but I didn't really like any of them. I've also never really used a mac either. But have used a few different Linux and windows OS. I'm guessing I could also use it for school/college.

Do you think osx would be a good OS to learn PHP and other languages on? I've been doing a little bit of codecademy and TheNewBoston's youtube channel and have been wanting to get a book.

As mentioned already, OS wont make any difference in learning web development. If you are familiar with Windows or Linux, stick with it. What is important is learning how different browsers might render a page differently, other than that no big difference.

From my experience, I used Windows and Linux while learning HTML, PHP, MySQL, Javascript and other things related to web development.
You can download WAMP server if you are running Windows, or set up LAMP stack if you are on Linux. It looks like there is also MAMP server for Mac users.

It really comes down to doing with whatever floats your boat.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 08:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 96 (Unique: 76)
Yeah, all that stuff is non compiled and cross platform. If you wana learn web dev, you can stick with Javascript and CSS and you dont need anything but a web browser to view them.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 09:32 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 53 (Unique: 42)
I’d suggest Visual Studio Code because it will allow you to tap into lots of community-accumulated knowledge in general and apply VS Code stuff from other platforms.

Step 1: https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/setup/machttps://code.visualstudio.com/docs/setup/mac

Step 2: Plugins and modules https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/setup/additional-components, I reccommend ESLint, Beautify, Typescript and Typings

Step 3: Make your first project https://code.visualstudio.com/Docs/languages/typescript

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in