Jaded with work not sure what to do. - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Jaded with work not sure what to do.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 05:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 70 (Unique: 64)
If you don't play chess, start playing chess (I use chess.com). And I mean really try to learn it properly. Forget any nonsense sayings some people say about it ("it's just a memory test/it's been solved/etc.") because they're not true at all. It will always be a challenge even if you're the best player in the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 05:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Two suggestions:
1. If you enjoy programming and tinkering with electronics, I'd suggest you try to get into developing embedded devices. You'll get to develop, test and debug prototypes, write "HW-near" software/firmware challenging your ability to find and fix bugs and dealing with limited HW resources. Typical skills required include C/C++ programming language, assembly programming, basic to thorough understanding of electronic devices, data buses etc

2. If you're sick of developing SW, why not get into reversing SW in stead? Take an undocumented smart phone app or bootloader binary code and turn it into (pseudo) source code. If you get good at this, there's a job for you in law-enforcement (digital forensics), cyber security or any other agency/business dealing with information security in one capacity or another.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 96 (Unique: 76)
Quote: Originally Posted by Edge Of Pain View Post
If you don't play chess, start playing chess (I use chess.com). And I mean really try to learn it properly. Forget any nonsense sayings some people say about it ("it's just a memory test/it's been solved/etc.") because they're not true at all. It will always be a challenge even if you're the best player in the world.
I prefer Sudoku, and for a while i was playing Desktop Dungons, their html5 version. http://www.desktopdungeons.net/HTML5/ . I also played Prismata , but then company firewall decided to block it, and flash has issues with SOCKS proxy so i couldnt bypass it. =( But yeah, i love learning systems and the logical puzzle of it. Not much of a fan against playing a human because I dont like to lose, and i dont want any time constraints.

Quote: Originally Posted by haavard View Post
Two suggestions:
1. If you enjoy programming and tinkering with electronics, I'd suggest you try to get into developing embedded devices. You'll get to develop, test and debug prototypes, write "HW-near" software/firmware challenging your ability to find and fix bugs and dealing with limited HW resources. Typical skills required include C/C++ programming language, assembly programming, basic to thorough understanding of electronic devices, data buses etc

2. If you're sick of developing SW, why not get into reversing SW in stead? Take an undocumented smart phone app or bootloader binary code and turn it into (pseudo) source code. If you get good at this, there's a job for you in law-enforcement (digital forensics), cyber security or any other agency/business dealing with information security in one capacity or another.
2... no... diving deep into stuff like that will make me go insane. I have done this a little because to ensure our code was obfuscated and stuff, I had to test against it. Same thing when i was doing my CCNP networking stuff. The more you know about how to secure something, the more you know how to hack into something.

1. I have, and it is fun. But my issue is that I am bored at my job. I have had a project or 2 where i did some work on embeded systems, its rare for those to come around. It was cool though. About 3 years ago I took the hardware design of their active RFID tag from https://www.openbeacon.org and had 50 or so manufactured. I was able to get the source from the Tags, and the Server piece, but not from the radio receivers that listen. I took a beaglebone (kinda like a raspbery pi) and wired a radio receiver to it and was able to get the system working. Their implementation was very flawed, so I ended up rewriting everything including the C code on the rfid tags. I used an Oscilloscope to see what the power usage was like, then read a bunch about the NRF radio chip on the tags and created my own implementation of RSSI by having them chirp at multiple different power levels back to back. Overall was a fun project, but in the end didnt work with as much precision as we needed. Its a very cheap system, and i could provide information in regards to what room they were in, but RSSI is a terrible way of doing fine positioning. The next step was for me to use some SDRs (software defined radios) so i can listen fast enough to implement TDoA (time difference of arrival ). ... simply put... radio waves travel almost at the speed of light, and my general rule of thumb is, 1ns = 1 foot. So if i am off by 1/1,000,000,000 of a second, i will be 1 foot off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 02:44 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 397 (Unique: 294)
Quote: Originally Posted by gonX View Post
Learn vim, if you haven't. Even if you're a savant that'll take you a few months to perfect.
Ah, vim key bindings. How to drop me from 120wpm on Sublime to 5.

One day I'll master it.

Former mod. Now I just pop in periodically to catch up and see how far behind I am in my hardware news.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 02:45 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 70 (Unique: 64)
Quote: Originally Posted by Mrzev View Post
I prefer Sudoku, and for a while i was playing Desktop Dungons, their html5 version. http://www.desktopdungeons.net/HTML5/ . I also played Prismata , but then company firewall decided to block it, and flash has issues with SOCKS proxy so i couldnt bypass it. =( But yeah, i love learning systems and the logical puzzle of it. Not much of a fan against playing a human because I dont like to lose, and i dont want any time constraints.
Damn, that Desktop Dungeons thing looks awesome.

Perhaps use the tactics puzzles on chesstempo.com. You're given a position and you're to find the best move(s), but you have infinite time, and you don't get told how many moves or what the idea of the puzzle is until you attempt it. It gives you puzzles based on the Elo rating system, so you'll always be challenged. And you'll never be matched against a human, either.

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 12:16 AM
New001

How does the saying go? First 3-6 months spent learning the job. Next 2 years enjoying your job. Next 6 months looking for a new job. Repeat.
Maybe you are just staying around at jobs for too long without advancing your career? Ask for a promotion? Start your own business on the side?

You've mentioned you are OK at looking up how to implement features you haven't played with before, maybe it's time to tackle a large scale project and provide some new service the world...

What about a multiplayer deathmatch game with 1000 or 5000 players in a map. I think it could be achieved with a HashGraph network and would be revolutionary in the gaming world.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 02:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 241 (Unique: 201)
why not step away for a few minutes and take up something totally different like cooking? or hit it really hard and check out crazy impossible to do projects like dolphin?

Alienware M17x-R4
(18 items)
Core 2 Haf
(12 items)
CPU
i7-3920XM
GPU
GTX980M
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB Model F3-1866C10Q-32GRSL
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 850 EVO mSATA 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Blue 5400 RPM 1TB
Hard Drive
ODD Conversion w/ White Label 2TB
Hard Drive
Empty / Free Bay
Optical Drive
Converted External USB
Power Supply
Dell 330 Watt Brick
Cooling
M14x R2 10 CFM CPU fan
Cooling
Liquid Metal Pro
Operating System
Windows 10 /w Telemetry Block
Monitor
1080p 120Hz eDP
Monitor
Sony FW900 @ 2304 x 1440 @ 80hz
Keyboard
Saitek Eclipse I
Mouse
Logitech G500s
Other
Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 w/ BT
Other
iGPU disable / bypass
CPU
Q8002S
GPU
GTX 750 Ti
RAM
DDR2 800 Kingston
CPU
C2Q Q9550
Motherboard
ASUS P5E3 Deluxe Wifi-AP
GPU
EVGA GTX 770 4GB Classified
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR3 KHX1600C9D3K2/8G
RAM
PNY 1333
Hard Drive
55gb, 320Gb, 500GB, 1TB
Power Supply
TX750
Cooling
Corsair H80
Case
Haf 912
Operating System
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
Operating System
Lubuntu 16.04 x64
Monitor
Dual 1600x1200 Dell m993s @ 70hz
▲ hide details ▲
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 96 (Unique: 76)
That goes back to the thing where if I were to start a big project, it will be a videogame. And with that, I would prefer to put my full attention instead of a hobby like thing. Its work... its frustration of learning and figuring things out to make it do what you want. I once made a binary clock with an arduino before, but that was for a fathers-day gift. The issue is that I am bored with work. Picking up cooking is cool, but that doesnt break the cycle of being bored at work. Thats replacing my current hobbies with a different one.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 12:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 34)
Think of all the poor schmucks in the world, who are in a position where they stuck in a job they hate. That and reminding myself that someone is paying me to do what I'm doing is usually more than enough to keep me engaged.

Honestly. Things could be so much worse.

"You might be a king, or a little street-sweeper,
But sooner or later, you dance with the Reaper."

-- Grim Reaper, Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 01:27 PM
ლ(╹ε╹ლ)

Rep: 176 (Unique: 137)
If you're interested, I'd have a program I'd need don't care what language or how you want to it, it'd give you a chance to try something new!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in