Does anyone do scripting for network devices with Python? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Does anyone do scripting for network devices with Python?

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 0
Does anyone do scripting for network devices with Python?

I'm learning python based on advice from my former CCNA/CCNP instructor. He was it would be useful in the networking field.

So how will this be useful in the networking field? I have experience with VBA and access making databases and small programs but very little with python and scripting in general. Any good resources on where to start? Cisco's devnet guides with REST and Cisco APIs were a bit over my head. I'm currently using Learn Python the Hard Way and I'm not very far in just yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 04:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 96 (Unique: 76)
I did TCL because it was nativly supported inside the Cisco switches. I had multiple radios on different frequencies, 900mhz, 2.4ghz, and 5ghz on a moving device and I wrote a script that would check the signal strength on each of the radios and adjust the EIGRP route metrics to load balance them properly.

Python is the best scripting language out there IMO. Tons of support and documentation, and its very easy to migrate between architecture and OS.

https://www.codecademy.com/learn/learn-python
Codecademy (until today i thought it was Code Academy) is a FANTASTIC place to learn. Things that are annoying when picking up programming is getting your dev enviroment setup with the tools and stuff. With code academy, it holds your hand and everything is done trough their webpage. Once you understand more and get a feel for it, you can setup a dev environment on your pc and by that time you know what should work, so you wont be fighting 2 things at once.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 04:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 56 (Unique: 53)
I think just learning python would great in general, depending on what you use it in the field or what automation software is used in company.

I suggest signing up to Kirk Byers courses (free) https://pynet.twb-tech.com/ is a good start. Also has his ansible course if you are interested in that too

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 08:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 322 (Unique: 259)
Udemy has tons of free python courses too. youtube is actually not a bad resource either. Get a good IDE. In linux I use spyder2/spyder3 is really neat with the features it offers. Start with simple task and learn to automate them. In fact there is a book called "Automate the boring stuff with python". not a bad read. its from steampress publishers which I think put out great books for technical people.

I don't know if python is runable directly on a cisco device say the way that LUA is on a mikrotik. However if you can then there is lots of neat stuff you can do like scripting events based on port activity or changing ACLs based on time frames or network usage.

Living Under Bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in