Do we have any Custom Firmware Talent ? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Do we have any Custom Firmware Talent ?

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement

Do we have any Custom Firmware Talent ?

Hey guys,

So I was just curious if we have any members on OCN with a talent for Custom Firmwares. This I know is a very broad question but I would be interested to know with a view to perhaps opening a section on OCN just for this depending upon the interest. I also have my own I suppose selfish reasons for wondering as I wondered if we had custom firmware developers for routers specifically.

Let me know if you are out there !
E

Need help with your account or something forum related ? Please use our Contact Us form

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 05:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hi!

New member here

I am familiar with Microchip's pic microcontrollers for a long time now, and of course, digital and analog electronics as well.

If you are looking for a router modification, probably I can help. Please, tell me more about. What do you have in hand now, and what you want to get in the end.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement

Quote: Originally Posted by sharidon_zz View Post
Hi!

New member here

I am familiar with Microchip's pic microcontrollers for a long time now, and of course, digital and analog electronics as well.

If you are looking for a router modification, probably I can help. Please, tell me more about. What do you have in hand now, and what you want to get in the end.
Hey and welcome to OCN !

Well for my own particular needs I have an Asus GT-AC5300 and I have been looking to see if I can get anyone enticed in developing a DD-WRT Like Firmware or taking a Project on a little like Asus Merlin who modifies the Official Asus firmware but makes it a lot better. The stock firmware for the GT-AC5300 does the job, but for such a powerful router, lacks a good few options and customization ability that you find in DD-WRT or Asus Firmwares by Asus Merlin.

Need help with your account or something forum related ? Please use our Contact Us form

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 04:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
On first look, there is no open source code support for GT-AC5300. Tell me, if I am wrong about. There are routers with community or manufacturer support, you can find a list here for start. You want custom stuff, you better pick up something from that list.

If you just pick up a router, without any developer support, and would build a custom firmware, that is not simple, but hell of a fight.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement

Quote: Originally Posted by sharidon_zz View Post
On first look, there is no open source code support for GT-AC5300. Tell me, if I am wrong about. There are routers with community or manufacturer support, you can find a list here for start. You want custom stuff, you better pick up something from that list.

If you just pick up a router, without any developer support, and would build a custom firmware, that is not simple, but hell of a fight.
Correct on the list of routers. I have had some of the RT based Asus Routers in the past which have been great. I then purchased the GT-AC5300 thinking it was the RT-AC5300, silly mistake. However with the GT being such a powerhouse, I thought it a shame that it went without the love of a custom firmware. I know there are others out there with this router who would love it to have a custom firmware upon my searching of various forums, including Asus Merlin forums. Really no open source ? Hmmm. Asus Merlin was against developing due to its differing hardware architecture and that it would add to his workload, he did not inherently mention any lack of open source. Though it would make a certain amount of sense as Asus have been closing off more and more of there code as of late.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in