Is it likely I'll be able to get programming work? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Is it likely I'll be able to get programming work?

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Is it likely I'll be able to get programming work?

I love programming, and I did web dev (my own projects) a few years ago. Unfortunately, my disabilities got in the way and I had to quit for a while.

I'm current a student, and I'm triple majoring. Most relevantly, I'm taking computer science. So, I'll have that piece of paper - whatever that's worth...

Is it likely that I'll be able to find a decent position that would allow me to work from home, and only part time - perhaps 20hr/wk? I'm not sure I could do 40hr, because of my physical limitations.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 10:54 PM
High Clocker

Rep: 188 (Unique: 162)
From my experience its pritty cut throat. There are no set working hours its just a dead line to get that job done by. Which could some times work out at 18 hour days straight to get it completed.
You have places like India and China which are really driving the pay down and expected hours to meet dead line to get worse.
I got out of it 8 years ago so I imagin its only worse now.

SLI Voodoo 2 - > GeForce4 MX 420 -> GF 6600GT -> GF 6800GT -> GF 8800Ultra -> AMD 4870 -> AMD 4890 -> CF AMD 5820 -> CF AMD 6850 -> CF AMD 7970 -> SLI GF 680 -> SLI GF 780 -> CF AMD 290X -> GF 980ti -> SLI GF 980ti -> GF 1080ti -> SLI GF 1080ti -> <- RTX 2080ti (DOA/Refunded)
CPU
AMD 8120
CPU
FX 8350
GPU
7970 CFX
GPU
680 SLI
▲ hide details ▲

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 04:07 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 96 (Unique: 76)
It would be hard to find a job working from home when you have no experience, and the same goes with part time work. BUT... having a disiability may make it easier for them to make an exception, but probably overall harder to find a job too. I recommend networking. Meet people. I have had 4 jobs and never once actually got a job I applied for. Each one of them was from networking one way or another.

Quote: Originally Posted by bmgjet View Post
You have places like India and China which are really driving the pay down and expected hours to meet dead line to get worse.
I got out of it 8 years ago so I imagin its only worse now.
Its better now actually. So, simply put... management was like, hey we can just outsource everything... they try it, and lack of skill or communication provided them with a bad product. So, over time they have been pulling back on it more and more. Contract companies give them visas and fly them over to work in the office. Important stuff is done here, less important or tedious work tends to get oursourced. In icor's situation, he needs that less important tedious work because that's where you start.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in