Time for a new job related thread - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Time for a new job related thread

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Time for a new job related thread

Went to the local college today, to talk to one of the teachers about programming classes. And it was all vaguely reminiscent of some kind of bureaucratic nightmare. Not just dealing with the college itself, but to some degree the way she made it feel about getting a job. I'm not real sure that a teacher is the best person to talk to about work outside of a college, so I figured the best thing to do was to come here and ask you guys.

My question revolves around what all is really required to be paid to write code. Some certificate involving a lot of seemingly unnecessary classes? A computer science degree? My knowledge of this is pretty much zero. I'm confused by some of my old high school computer teachers, and to some degree some of my college professors. The computer science 101 teacher, a java programming teacher, and a couple of my high school computer class teachers have all said things which would lead you to believe (if you didn't know any better) that someone who is a good programmer, can simply go out and get a job. Just because they're skilled. I'm talking about someone who really can get the job done.

So these different people have sort of put this idea in my head, that I just need to be good at it. Fine, I can handle that. I actually consider myself "good" at getting good at stuff. I realize a ton of that is learned on the job, and I'm fine with that too. However I don't want to pay for some certificate that has 10 classes in it, if its not necessary to actually land a job. Is it? Seems you can test online for a python certificate:

https://pythoninstitute.org/pcap-cer...ion-associate/

I don't see those classes that the college wants me to take for their certificate, listed in that link. So I guess I'm just confused as to what I should be doing. Again it comes down to money, but also time. I already have student loans I'm paying on, and I don't really want to waste time either. If I can learn python and get the certificate online, then maybe I don't need to waste time and money at the college, taking the classes they want me to take and lining their pockets at the same time. So I'm hoping you guys can shed some light on the job scene for me, in terms of what it takes to just have a steady job programming. When I talked to the teacher today, she also mentioned "getting passed up" or "not ever getting a raise" because I didn't have something the employer wanted me to have. But is any of that even likely, and even if it is likely, should I even be concerned with it? I'm only looking to be a programmer, I'm not even close to being interested in... well anything else the company may have on offer. I just want to write code, I don't want to do other stuff. So how many promotions do I really need? How many raises would I ever really get? Sorry for the long winded post and all the questions, but I hope I'm able to convey my general state of confusion.

"Executing execution.exe"
Bang for the buck
(12 items)
CPU
3570k @ 4.6Ghz @1.35v
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77x UD3H
GPU
evga GTX 970 SSC
RAM
16Gb Gskill Ripjaws 2133Mhz @ 9-11-10-28
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 850
Power Supply
Silverstone 900 watt
Cooling
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
Case
Silverstone Raven (1st edition)
Operating System
Windows 10 Spy Delux
Monitor
Xstar 27" PLS 1440p
Keyboard
Wireless ergonomic
Mouse
Logisys Wireless trackball
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by PhotonFanatic; 12-11-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 02:57 PM
9 Cans of Ravioli

Rep: 1021 (Unique: 615)
Need to narrow your scope a bit. "What do I need to get paid to write code" isn't a question anybody is going to be able to answer for you. What do you want to learn/what do you already know? What jobs require that skill set? Are there jobs near you for that position?

What someone else studied and what certifications they have and what job lead to their current job isn't information that's going to help you unless you're their neighbor, and even then I doubt it'd help all that much.

Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.5%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
NUC U
(10 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 4133 32GB
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
HP EX950 NVMe 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Sandisk Ultra II 480GB SSD
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital EZRZ 3TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Case
Fractal Design Meshify S2
Operating System
Windows 10 Education x64
Monitor
Acer XF270HU
Monitor
Dell E2311H
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro S
Mouse
Logitech G502
Audio
SMSL SA50 + FiiO E10K
Audio
Micca RB42
Audio
Polk Audio PSW111
Audio
Philips Fidelio X2
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
CPU
i3 8109U
Motherboard
Intel NUC8i3BEH
GPU
Iris Plus 655
RAM
Kingston 8GB DDR4 2400
Hard Drive
Dierka K1 120GB
Hard Drive
ADATA SU800 128GB M.2
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional
Operating System
MX Linux
Keyboard
Rii RKM709 Wireless
Mouse
Logitech M510
CPU
i7 860
Motherboard
Advantech AIMB 280 ITX
GPU
EVGA GTX 950 2GB
RAM
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive
Seagate Momentus 2.5" 500GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2.5" 320GB
Power Supply
Silverstone SFX-L Gold 500w
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 11 GT 2
Case
Silverstone Milo Z ML07B
Operating System
Windows XP x86 SP3
Keyboard
Velocifire TKL01 Outemu Browns
Mouse
Logitech M512
▲ hide details ▲

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 03:22 PM
Vega + Water = Power

Rep: 10 (Unique: 10)
Full time programming will take some various knowledge about writing software and some of the various fundamentals that are taught throughout the course of a CS degree. That being said, a lot of it can be learned by yourself without going through the work of getting your degree. If you're wanting to do this without going through anymore college, having sample code to show the employer is good, it allows them to see how you code and how competent you are at it.

If you already know some of the basics of coding, but aren't proficient at it yet, you could be come a QA tester for software and learn more about how enterprise code is wrote and organized through that with the goal of moving to a development position once you've been exposed to more code and have reach a level of proficiency that allows you to operate as a coder for a business. It is entirely possible to become a developer without having to get a CS degree, you just have to learn how to code by yourself and may have to work your way up from a related position to get to the point of being a developer (though it is possible to get hired on as a developer directly).

For reference, I've got my CS degree, but have worked with plenty of programmers who didn't get a CS degree and instead taught themselves while working their way up from various other positions.

"You must be doers of the Word and not only hearers who mislead themselves."
James 1:22

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

That is the route I'd like to go. To be a programmer that does not have a CS degree. Because I want to have a decent job, sooner rather than later. Getting a CS degree means that its definitely later, not sooner. Maybe I'll slowly get that degree after I have a job, who knows. I'm not against it. But I want to go the quickest route of actually getting a job, and I'm just trying to work out how best to do that. It seems everyone has a different idea. The college thinks I should have their certificate, which iirc consists of 8 different classes. Some people do say that its best to have a CS degree, I've read it here and there. The next guy will tell you that you really just need the programming certificate (like in the link) and a few logic classes, and you'll be golden.

So its starting to look like what I should take away from this, is that it varies too wildly to actually pin it down. One place may have a lot of requirements, while next door they'd hire me right away with no qualifications, as long as I could demonstrate that I could actually code well.

Bang for the buck
(12 items)
CPU
3570k @ 4.6Ghz @1.35v
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77x UD3H
GPU
evga GTX 970 SSC
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 850
Power Supply
Silverstone 900 watt
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Spy Delux
Monitor
Xstar 27" PLS 1440p
Keyboard
Wireless ergonomic
Mouse
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 03:40 PM
Vega + Water = Power

Rep: 10 (Unique: 10)
Quote: Originally Posted by PhotonFanatic View Post
So its starting to look like what I should take away from this, is that it varies too wildly to actually pin it down. One place may have a lot of requirements, while next door they'd hire me right away with no qualifications, as long as I could demonstrate that I could actually code well.
That is completely correct, it will vary company-to-company and industry-to-industry. Overall, it is easier to get a programming job with a CS degree and/or certifications, but it is entirely possible to get a programming position without either of those, it all comes down to the company and your personal skill as to how hard getting the job without either of those things will be.

"You must be doers of the Word and not only hearers who mislead themselves."
James 1:22

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks for the replies! It would be nice to know some form or fashion of a statistic, but I guess I won't be able to. Such as, how many jobs are available to people with certificate A. How many jobs are available to people with certificate B. How many jobs are available to people with both certificates A, and B. And have you guys noticed that different schools, have somewhat different classes for their certificates? Man.

I'll start looking around at the jobs available, and see what they want. Any suggestions on which sites to look at for programming jobs?

Bang for the buck
(12 items)
CPU
3570k @ 4.6Ghz @1.35v
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77x UD3H
GPU
evga GTX 970 SSC
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 850
Power Supply
Silverstone 900 watt
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Spy Delux
Monitor
Xstar 27" PLS 1440p
Keyboard
Wireless ergonomic
Mouse
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in