Did programming change the way you think? - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Did programming change the way you think?

post #31 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 10:03 PM

I don't think it was programming that changed the way i think, more that it was the logic behind that changed the way i think.

It's one thing to think "Human" logic, but something else to understand "computer" logic.

I was talking to one of my professors at school a few weeks back, and he was telling me that the whole idea of the 4 year Computer Science degree is not to teach you how to program, but to teach you how to pick up any modern day language in about a week. The though process that is required for this comes from learning how to program, but more from learning how the computer works, and breaking down problems in a way to get the computer to do the thing you want it to do...

Once the logic part is figured out, it's more or less just a syntax thing when learning a different language. Along with reading up on that languages specific limitations over another....

So yeah i would say that programming has changed the way i think, but I would go further with your question and say that its learning the logic that has effected me the most. Knowing how to program is just a side effect, once the logic is burned into your brain....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 10:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 98 (Unique: 89)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licht View Post
Some of you might think this is a silly question however it was brought up in another thread. I started at 12 with a spinoff of Lua, anymore everything i see (programs, things not even on the PC) i am constantly thinking how i could code it. What kind of glitches could occur, things like that. It changed how i think and perceive things, i know at that age your mind is highly flexible and if any of you are familiar with how learning multiple languages at that age benefits your cognitive abilities greatly i am sure said people will understand.

So the main question : Am i just weird or is this normal to think in code so to say?
i coded for a while and i started thinking EXACTLY as you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willhemmens go_quote.gif
What are you wth.gif'ing at?

post #33 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 10:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
I am only in high school; therefore, the only programming that has been offered to me thus far is one semester of C++. That said, I can't contribute much to this conversation except for maybe an analogy.

Is this feeling of your world changing similar to that of the feeling you get after taking a physics or astrophysics class? After physics I began to see almost everything in vectors. After astrophysics I began asking my physics teacher, "The car is moving 50m/s relative to what? Me? The Sun? That bird?"

Be a man. Chances are, you won't die; but, if you do, at least you won't make the same mistake twice.

92.3% of people believe every statistic that they encounter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 03:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 261 (Unique: 206)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTorvos View Post
I am only in high school; therefore, the only programming that has been offered to me thus far is one semester of C++. That said, I can't contribute much to this conversation except for maybe an analogy.

Is this feeling of your world changing similar to that of the feeling you get after taking a physics or astrophysics class? After physics I began to see almost everything in vectors. After astrophysics I began asking my physics teacher, "The car is moving 50m/s relative to what? Me? The Sun? That bird?"
You, sir, may have nailed it on the head.

post #35 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 01:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 349 (Unique: 308)
The only programming language I know is Pascal... I guess the way it's changed me is that I describe things in more detail and leave less to the imagination... If that makes any sense.

Blank

Rest in peace Syr, you won't be forgotten.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFB go_quote.gif
I'm a nerd, not a miracle worker.

post #36 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 08:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 160 (Unique: 132)
Yesterday I found myself waiting for the elevator (there are 2 in this lobby) and wondering the logic behind which elevator comes down to my floor... because it never seems to be the closer one.

So yes, I think of this weird programming crap all the time now.

"If there is a god, I hope he has a good excuse"

-Woody Allen
post #37 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 07:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 344 (Unique: 269)
I've been programming since 7th grade when I sat down with a TI-82 calculator and started designing games in the middle of algebra. I took every programming class my high school offered and also some summer classes for other advanced languages. People though it weird when I took a Cisco class and caught onto the configuration of the interfaces so quickly because it's all based on code and variables. I'm now a professional programmer for the Air Force and I must say it's changed the way I think and plan. My mind can't function on a "just because" rational. In order for something to be true, there must be a reason behind it and proofs to show that it is indeed true.

post #38 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 12:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 48 (Unique: 43)
I started programming in 1998 with Borland C++ 4.0. Well, it wasn't really programming but just ctrl+ins & shift+ins of my elder brother's code.
I've left C programming and focused on gaming (what would a 8 year old boy do).

When I was 16 years old (like 2 years ago) I was interrupt driven. So when I was hungry I wanted a event to happen to go and eat. If the trash had to be disposed, I waited for my mother to interrupt me from the gaming.
But this was not good and productive way to live. Currently, after 2 years of PHP developing (and some C,Pascal,VB and others), I'm currently thinking recursively and as an code emulator. While coding I know what happens and I can iterate, but sometimes this overflows the brain. Strange, but recursion is far more easier process that an iteration.
And the last but not least after successfully completing any kind of job (even non-computer one), I'm only thinking of OPTIMIZATIONS. Lol, this PHP makes people sick.

"Alcohol is not the answer."
Milk is not the answer either, but nobody mentions it.

Gentoo worshipper, xterm is man's best friend.

post #39 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 01:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 319 (Unique: 282)
I don't really think coding itself has changed the way I think, I believe that my whole experience with computers has though:

I now see how similar computers and people really are. Were both made of bits (computers having 0 and 1, while people have A, C, G, and T), We both have little compilers (I forget the name of the part of cells that takes RNA and turns it into Proteins). We both have a "CPU", which we're both vegetables without.

There's a bunch more I've thought of but I can't remember them all right now.

post #40 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 12:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Yeah,
Its really helping im math.
Acutally , Math and programming are pretty similar.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in