Did programming change the way you think? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Did programming change the way you think?

post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 417 (Unique: 290)
Some of you might think this is a silly question however it was brought up in another thread. I started at 12 with a spinoff of Lua, anymore everything i see (programs, things not even on the PC) i am constantly thinking how i could code it. What kind of glitches could occur, things like that. It changed how i think and perceive things, i know at that age your mind is highly flexible and if any of you are familiar with how learning multiple languages at that age benefits your cognitive abilities greatly i am sure said people will understand.

So the main question : Am i just weird or is this normal to think in code so to say?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 09:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 256 (Unique: 186)
It does. I really believe that. For instance when I'm coding, I am in a high state of awareness, and often times I'll get cranky if someone breaks my concentration. When I do SQL, it takes me a few moments to get my brain to think in code when switching back to C/C++, java, etc. Coding is akin to doing very difficult puzzles for hours on end. It definitely increases your awareness and you intelligence. Anyone can code, but very few people do it well, and I notice there are a lot of personality characteristics are similar to people who code really well. The first being that most good developers lack the ability to feel empathy toward other human beings. They're very much ego driven and sure of themselves. If you had to put it in one sentence, coders are sociopaths that don't commit crimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitemarks and bloodstains go_quote.gif
kill em all while drunk then use their blood to mod a comp then kill myself devil-smiley-019.gif

post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 09:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 45 (Unique: 37)
that happened to me when i started web design and coding and i would rewrite code from random websites i visit in my head...you will get over it lol

post-flame-small.gif Q6600 @ 3.8 GHz Verified post-flame-small.gif
post-flame-small.gif E4600 @ 3.375 GHz Verified post-flame-small.gif
post-flame-small.gif Opteron 175 @ 2.6 GHz Verified post-flame-small.gif

BF:BC2 Name - MrSmoke16
[OCN] TF2 Server - 8.12.68.58:27015

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who can read binary, and those who can't.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 417 (Unique: 290)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmoke View Post
that happened to me when i started web design and coding and i would rewrite code from random websites i visit in my head...you will get over it lol
Its been years, isn't changing lol.

Quote:
It does. I really believe that. For instance when I'm coding, I am in a high state of awareness, and often times I'll get cranky if someone breaks my concentration. When I do SQL, it takes me a few moments to get my brain to think in code when switching back to C/C++, java, etc. Coding is akin to doing very difficult puzzles for hours on end. It definitely increases your awareness and you intelligence. Anyone can code, but very few people do it well, and I notice there are a lot of personality characteristics are similar to people who code really well. The first being that most good developers lack the ability to feel empathy toward other human beings. They're very much ego driven and sure of themselves. If you had to put it in one sentence, coders are sociopaths that don't commit crimes.
*Raises hand.*
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 12:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Computer programming uses a different concept of thinking which is spectacular. A wise man once asked me how do you put an elephant into a refridgerator?.................................... .Open the door put in the elephant, close the door. How do you put a Giraffe into the fridge?...........................Open door, take out elephant, put in giraffe, close the door. And so on, that type of thinking is not typical of any everyday activity (most). So many people have told me, Aaron I don't know how you can program for so many years, but I think more people would be apt to the know how if the understood the type of thinking it requires.

Aaron Malin

-Another Fabricated Self Portrait-
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 07:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 923 (Unique: 529)
I started computer programming last semester with a class in C (Introduction to Programming for Engineers). I am now taking CS225 (Java).

I caught on to programming pretty quick, and I would say that I am pretty good at it. I also enjoy doing it.

I don't think programming changed the way I think. My mind already worked in a "boolean" sense, which made programming very natural for me. However since programming, I have had a heightened sense of awareness I think. Programming is a great mind twister game, and the ultimate problem solving game!

post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 07:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 261 (Unique: 206)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdaseinx View Post
(1)The first being that most good developers lack the ability to feel empathy toward other human beings. (2)They're very much ego driven and sure of themselves. (3)If you had to put it in one sentence, coders are sociopaths that don't commit crimes.
I'd disagree with (1) and (2) completely. I've seen lots of egotistical bastards but they're really the minority -- loud minority but still a minority.

And I had to steal 3 for my sig!

I've been programming at some level since I was 9 in 1985. Maybe I'm a freak of nature but I think my brain already worked that way. So I'd say I don't think any differently, but I can say for sure that programmers do think different than the rest of the population.

post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 07:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 52 (Unique: 48)
Nope hasnt changed the way i think at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by noshibby go_quote.gif
In response to my earlier post ^ I have come to the conclusion that this game takes my computer out back and sodomizes it with a wooden baseball bat (a real splintery one), and no lube

My First FAQ: How to Have A Voice Controlled Browser

https://www.overclock.net/faqs/87776-...d-browser.html
Club 0pera VIP Member
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 10:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 222 (Unique: 155)
Its changed the way I think....

Quote:
Colin McRae: - "If in doubt, flat out"
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 11:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 10)
I've been programming for 25 years and I can't say for sure that it's changed me, since I was just a kid when I started, but it seems likely. I know that I'm a very literal person, often to the annoyance of others. Several jobs ago, my coworkers used to end their sentences with the word "literally," because they knew how much it peeved me to hear that word misused. "I literally blew my top!" Really. Blew your top. Is it a tasty fabric?

I completely disagree with xdaseinx's premise that good developers lack empathy. Some of the best coders I've ever known were very social, thoughtful people. I have also known selfish, ego-driven coders, but they were generally better programmers in their own minds than in reality. Just my opinion.

You are not aware of your own potential, which is good, because most things you have the potential to achieve are not worth doing anyhow. I mean really, you have failed to live up to your potential for making giant sculptures out of cigarette butts, that's a good thing. You probably learned more playing video games.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in