Advice needed for ecommerce website - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Advice needed for ecommerce website

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
I have a freelance web design/development business that I started when I was in college to keep my 'resume' current. I have a few clients whose websites are not complicated, basic information websites.

A friend who is a webmaster for his psychologist has recommended me to his doctor to develop and maintain an eCommerce website for the books he has written and would like to market on his website. I was kinda dubious at first as I get friends all the time wanting to give me work but nothing really ever comes from it. Especially when he told me about the prices he quoted his doctor. $5,000 for development, $5,000 a month for SEO optimization, and $400-500 a month for maintenance. So, I looked up the doctor and yep, its legit. My friend has been his webmaster for 2 years now according to the website, and the doctor shows up all over google when you put in his name. (My friend only knows how to use Dreamweaver...and the current site is pretty aweful looking).

The doctor wants his site to be SEO Optimized to keep his site in the top of the rankings, use an eCommerce shopping cart, wants a teaser of the books to be available, wants the books converted from Word to PDF and ePub formats (another company will handle the shipping of the hard copy books via email sales orders).

As I can really really use the money (who can't right?), I want to make sure I can do this right. I've never worked with shopping cart systems nor SEO optimization tools (outside of meta data keywords, description, etc.).

The doctor wants this done ASAP, but I am going to put in a minimum 4 month project plan because I do work full time and I want to be able to ensure everything is tested thoroughly and the site meets all standards for security and best practices.

So, I am looking for some advise on the best way to to about this. I'm a rather new (less than 2 years) .NET programmer currently employed as an Application Developer (web applications) for a large insurance company, and fluent with HTML and CSS. I have not actually sat down and coded anything in PHP or Javascript, but I know enough how to modify it.

I am also looking for suggestions on hosting, windows vs. linux; eCommerce platforms, SEO Optimization Tools, security tips. Any advise would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 07:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
The things were so easy back in 2015, lol. Now you need to make much more stuff so your site will be on the top. For example, there is not a word here about off page SEO. I guess, back then it wasn't important.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 07:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by BuzzLighter View Post
The things were so easy back in 2015, lol. Now you need to make much more stuff so your site will be on the top. For example, there is not a word here about off page SEO. I guess, back then it wasn't important.
And that's why you've decided to necropost this thread, right? To add a strange nostalgic reply.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in