Looking for older GPU's to benchmark for youtube! - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Looking for older GPU's to benchmark for youtube!

post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 09:24 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
I used a 7930 (iirc) after my 980 died.
While it was possible to run the games I play I took a serious hit to everything at 1080p. Couldn't run Fortnite at 120 FPS with any settings but I could get 60 FPS minimum with mostly low settings, even textures.
Fortnite isn't a super demanding game so I doubt you'll get 60 FPS in current AAA titles, there are a lot of games that can run at 60 FPS with some compromises.
I had to buy a used 1080 for $600 because it was impossible for me to play anything competitively but if you're only trying to make games run, the 79XX cards are still very useful. If I were to buy a cheap GPU to get into PC gaming I'd probably get a Maxwell card. With a smaller budget in mind a 290x might be my next pick.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
To The Game

Rep: 290 (Unique: 197)
Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
I used a 7930 (iirc) after my 980 died.
While it was possible to run the games I play I took a serious hit to everything at 1080p. Couldn't run Fortnite at 120 FPS with any settings but I could get 60 FPS minimum with mostly low settings, even textures.
Fortnite isn't a super demanding game so I doubt you'll get 60 FPS in current AAA titles, there are a lot of games that can run at 60 FPS with some compromises.
I had to buy a used 1080 for $600 because it was impossible for me to play anything competitively but if you're only trying to make games run, the 79XX cards are still very useful. If I were to buy a cheap GPU to get into PC gaming I'd probably get a Maxwell card. With a smaller budget in mind a 290x might be my next pick.
I'll hopefully see. For older cards or lower end gpu's I usually consider something playable if it games smoothly. I'll benchmark the numbers and if anything sticks out as running really good or really poor I'll mention it. I think a lot of people getting into older gpu's to save money are going to be more accepting of lower fps as long as the game plays smoothly.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 11:26 PM
Iconoclast

Rep: 3135 (Unique: 1869)
Quote: Originally Posted by Chargeit View Post
I don't have experience flashing a gpu's firmware. Are there any links you'd suggest where I can read up on it?

Outside of that I think it would make a great gpu to do a video on. Would think it should still be able to handle modern games with some sacrifices to IQ.
I'm sure there is a guide in the AMD GPU section of OCN, possibly buried in one of the threads.

Anyway, I need to test that it still works, so this weekend I can probably flash it back to reference 7950 firmware and get it sent to you sometime next week, if you like. Just PM me with the mailing address you want it sent to.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
To The Game

Quote: Originally Posted by Blameless View Post
I'm sure there is a guide in the AMD GPU section of OCN, possibly buried in one of the threads.

Anyway, I need to test that it still works, so this weekend I can probably flash it back to reference 7950 firmware and get it sent to you sometime next week, if you like. Just PM me with the mailing address you want it sent to.
Sounds good.

Thanks.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 11:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 463 (Unique: 263)
Gamers on a budget sometimes have trouble finding good performance data for older gpu's on the latest titles - could be quite helpful .

If you were interested in comparison numbers - if I own the game you bench - I'd try to provide them for you.
AMD cards I have are 4870X2, 5770, 6970, 7970,290X lightning, and a fury.

A lot of people on 60 hz 1080p monitors aren't really getting much value out of the ridiculously expensive newer cards.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
To The Game

Quote: Originally Posted by cssorkinman View Post
Gamers on a budget sometimes have trouble finding good performance data for older gpu's on the latest titles - could be quite helpful .

If you were interested in comparison numbers - if I own the game you bench - I'd try to provide them for you.
AMD cards I have are 4870X2, 5770, 6970, 7970,290X lightning, and a fury.

A lot of people on 60 hz 1080p monitors aren't really getting much value out of the ridiculously expensive newer cards.
Would be interesting to know how the 7970 holds up in Far Cry 5. For my Far Cry 5 benchmark I auto drive across the map. I'll have to look at my notes to remember the names of the locations I start and end at.

Yeah I wouldn't personally go with more then a 1060 range gpu if gaming at 1080p 60hz today. There are some games that you could use more gpu for at the res/refresh but I don't think they justify the extra costs.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 12:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 463 (Unique: 263)
Quote: Originally Posted by Chargeit View Post
Would be interesting to know how the 7970 holds up in Far Cry 5. For my Far Cry 5 benchmark I auto drive across the map. I'll have to look at my notes to remember the names of the locations I start and end at.

Yeah I wouldn't personally go with more then a 1060 range gpu if gaming at 1080p 60hz today. There are some games that you could use more gpu for at the res/refresh but I don't think they justify the extra costs.

I don't currently have farcry 5 , my son might be interested in it though. I'll get back to you if we end up purchasing it.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 12:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 110 (Unique: 93)
I have two Geforce 8500 GT I would be willing to part with.

Molar
(15 items)
CPU
i5 3570k
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77x-UD5H
GPU
EVGA GTX 980
RAM
Corsair Vengence 1600
Hard Drive
Samsung evo 850
Optical Drive
rando
Power Supply
Corsair AX850
Cooling
Corsair H50
Case
Corsair Carbide 200r
Operating System
Windows 10 x64
Monitor
AOC
Keyboard
TTe Sports Challenger Pro
Mouse
Death Adder
Mouse
Steel Series Heroes of the Storm
Audio
samsung makes a good soundbar
▲ hide details ▲
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 01:13 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in