[WTB] Caselabs S8 or S5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[WTB] Caselabs S8 or S5

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
Just living in a van...

Rep: 124 (Unique: 100)
[WTB] Caselabs S8 or S5

As in the title, and apparently like everyone else in this section of OCN, I'm looking for a larger Caselabs case. I currently have a grey S3 that I could probably be talked into parting with in a trade if someone is interested. I understand my ideal build below is unlikely to be found, so if you have anything let me know and we'll see what we can do.

This will be for a Threadripper build planned for Fall(ish) 2019, so while an S8 is preferred, I think I could live with an S5 as well.

Ideal Configuration:
Caselabs S8 (White or Gray)
Prefer SSI-EEB motherboard tray
Both sides with Standard Window plus Ventilation
Windowed Top
Windowed Front
No specific front fan arrangement, but set up for a radiator plus room for at least one, if not more, 5.25" drives (and the hardware for them)
Extra hard drive cage on the bottom plus all hardware for them

Oh, and if it's an S8, I'd be interested in a matching pedestal as well. I have these pretty 360mm rads I'd just LOVE to use someday...

So yeah, let me know! I'm in Las Vegas, if that helps, and don't mind running out to LA, Phoenix, Salt Lake City or most places within a day's drive or so.

Last edited by technodanvan; 02-22-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 09:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 9)
I am looking into downsizing from my s8 recently as part of process going away from x299 to intel sunny cove or amd 7nm. Just haven't found an suitable replacement yet, maybe the new lianli pc-011xl.

Probably looking to sell the caselabs s8 down the road with the 7920x, x299 apex, 32gb ddr4 4000 (keeping the rest of parts).

My s8 is grey but has no drive mount (using side mounted radiator), extended top (ventilation), front ventilation. Rest is on your ideal list. Have both front 120.2 and 120.3 flexbay.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 10:51 AM
Tetrapyloctomist

Rep: 22 (Unique: 20)
Scorptech or whatever they're called (an Ausie retailer) still had some available last time i checked; which is also why all the S8s recently listed on ebay had Australian $ prices listed.. "smart" people bought them from Scorp, went on to resell them. And apparently managed to
Now Scorp says they only sell regionally, but we've a member here residing in the US that managed to grab one; just emailed them and arranged for third party shipping. So if you really want to, it's an option.

It's the marketplace section, not the free advise column, granted.. but since i'm at it? I wouldn't do it in your shoes. I wouldn't even be looking for "just" a CL chassis in the first place, not on its own.
If you're just a "looks" or "i can afford it, is why" kind of person, sure. But if you're after what you should be after, hence your willingness to part with so much money? Don't; where are you gonna get all the accessories, the extras, the replacement parts? That's the tough part.. these cases, they sold pretty much bare on purpose, it's how CL made a good portion of their money; low cost (of said much needed accessories), high volume because guaranteed interest, because bare chassis.
Without these, i honestly don't see the point. You want to add this or that device? Too bad, no can do. You want to switch this rad with one of a different size? Too bad, no can do. You've had enough with 'x' setup and want to add more rads or re-arrange them? Too bad, no can do. And on it goes.
(you could always make them, sure. But the time and money it would cost you, in total..)

Pride, honour and purity.

Last edited by Aenra; 03-03-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
Just living in a van...

Quote: Originally Posted by Section31 View Post
I am looking into downsizing from my s8 recently as part of process going away from x299 to intel sunny cove or amd 7nm. Just haven't found an suitable replacement yet, maybe the new lianli pc-011xl.

Probably looking to sell the caselabs s8 down the road with the 7920x, x299 apex, 32gb ddr4 4000 (keeping the rest of parts).

My s8 is grey but has no drive mount (using side mounted radiator), extended top (ventilation), front ventilation. Rest is on your ideal list. Have both front 120.2 and 120.3 flexbay.
Sounds interesting, but I really am somewhat set on the windowed front panel. I suspect that, given enough patience, I could probably find the other parts eventually. I'm a bit concerned about finding a different front panel though, you know? That said, when the time comes to sell please feel free to reach out to me!

Oh, do you have a pedestal as well, by chance? If so, what configuration?

Quote: Originally Posted by Aenra View Post
It's the marketplace section, not the free advise column, granted.. but since i'm at it? I wouldn't do it in your shoes. I wouldn't even be looking for "just" a CL chassis in the first place, not on its own.
I appreciate the input, it's not often I see measured, thoughtful advice on the forums that says "think before spending!". I tend to agree, and am still hoping other manufacturers are working on viable S8/S5 replacements now that there is a gaping hole in that market sector. Outside of some flimsy offerings from Corsair and Thermaltake I haven't really seen any horizontal configurations out there. I'd like to see BeQuiet's take on that form factor, as I have been making eyes towards the Dark Base Pro 900 otherwise. Honestly, unless I come across a really fair deal I intend to wait until at least June so I can see what manufacturers bring to Computex.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 01:40 PM
Tetrapyloctomist

Quote: Originally Posted by technodanvan View Post
I appreciate the input
You're more than welcome;

As to new cube cases.. i hope i'm proven wrong, but trends and tendencies, they go together; so judging by what we've available, well.. as stated, hope i'm proven wrong.
(and should i not be, have had this discussion with someone also interested [in vain now] in an S8, like you; my solution for him will be 2 Lian Li cube cases and an expensive trip to a CnCer; roughly put, i will basically be stripping both so as to connect an inverted upper floor of the second cube [the bottom half thrown away] on top of the unmodified second; if that makes sense? Sure as hell won't be a "new" S8 coming out, so might as well start thinking about DIY alternatives.. that's the good thing with aluminium by the way, there's no way i would pull this off had they been made of steel)

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
Just living in a van...

I am not so hardcore as that! While I definitely like the horizontal layout of the S8 (and the overall roominess) I certainly don't want to this to turn into a thing that takes a lot of time to build. I've got plenty of other DIY projects planned already, and those things are far more valuable to me than simply getting a case I prefer over another. If, when the time comes, I am forced to use a more traditional case in order to meet my needs and some of my wants, then that is totally fine.

Last edited by technodanvan; 03-03-2019 at 06:10 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 09:41 AM
Tetrapyloctomist

Quote: Originally Posted by technodanvan View Post
I am not so hardcore as that!
Nor am i, or he for that matter.
He just happened to reach the point i'd reached about a year or so ago; the point where one adds up all the money all their crappy, plastic, Chinese cases have cost, in total; the point where one wonders just how many more cases and how much more money are they going to spend in the future and what for, not like they keep them. Worse still if they're a normal person, as cases today are no longer made for those; they're all about glass, pretty lights and bubble effects. And some more plastic, lol
Like myself, he's had enough, only too late now.. so.. like with everything else in life, you want it, you've got to pay for it ^^

We don't do 'projects', we just do our work; unlike "gamers" or "enthusiasts", work involves extra hardware and the space to fit it in. The years having gone by, this entails more than may be readily apparent. That's all.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 11:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 9)
I think me and aenra had similar line of conversation about that. But you weren't only one technodovan.

I had an s5, tried other brands and decided to go back to s8. Couple months later sma8a revision came out. I was thinking about pulling trigger (wanted 480mm rad) but held back. Couple months later almost bought sma8a revision but waited. I was thinking also s8 base also but couldnt justify in case s8 revision came out. Boom then caselabs went under. However if 7nm/10nm power targets and efficiences are true we can go back to thinner rads and smaller cases.

Last edited by Section31; 03-04-2019 at 11:42 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 06:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Ah just saw this, I have a S8 I would be willing to part with. Has the Glass top window, Main Side window, and a front window. I'll take some pictures later tonight.

Im in Sacramento, CA

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
Just living in a van...

Hey thanks, I'd love to see some photos.

Guessing that's it in your avatar - no ventilation on the bottom, so I'm guessing you have the hdd cage?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in