WTB: Socket A Full System (High End 2002) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

WTB: Socket A Full System (High End 2002)

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Moderators

WTB: Socket A Full System (High End 2002)

Looking to put together a retro build from when I started actually building my own rigs with Windows XP on it.

What I need:
Socket A NF2 motherboard (any decent Socket A board should do fine if it can do 400+ FSB)
Athlon XP Barton Core CPU (3000+ specifically, but will take any Barton with 333 FSB)
Some good DDR, probably 2GB (2x1GB)
Radeon 9800 XT (this is going to be hard to find)
Era Appropriate Case such as Cheiftec Dragon
PSU that'll power all this properly (I remember 5v rails were used back then)
DVD Drive / CDRW combo
Cooling products
SCSI Cheetah 73GB or 150GB drives
SCSI RAID card (PCI)
Soundblaster Live 5.1 or Audigy SE I think it was (PCI)

And well, anything that I may be missing here. I have peripherals handled, and if not I can add those in later. Need a full tower pretty much. Oh, and cathodes and lighted fans are probably going to be a must as well, needs to be as riced as possible to be in that era.

Please PM me any reasonable prices shipped to 98908.

DisposalAreav4.0
(15 items)
BeigeBox
(16 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.4GHz, 1.33v
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3
GPU
Asus RX580 8GB @ 1400 / 2150
RAM
Kingston HyperX (4x4GB) @ DDR3-1600, 8-9-8-24-1T
Hard Drive
Crucial MX100 256GB + Sandisk Ultra 240GB RAID0
Hard Drive
Toshiba 3TB 3.5"
Power Supply
PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 950w
Cooling
CoolerMaster 240mm
Case
DIY PC Cuboid Blue mATX
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Hanns G 23" 1080p / 60Hz
Keyboard
Redragon 10 keyless
Mouse
Logitech Optical Mouse USB
Mousepad
Generic Onn Black
Audio
Diamond Edison 2.0
CPU
Intel Core i5 3570
Motherboard
MSI B75MA-E33
GPU
MSI RX550 4GB
RAM
8GB GSkill Sniper DDR3-1600 @ 667, 9-9-9-24
Hard Drive
Intel 330 128GB SSD
Hard Drive
Sandisk Ultra 120GB SSD
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black 2.5" RAID0 1TB (500x2)
Power Supply
Antec VP450
Cooling
No fans except GPU and PSU
Case
Dell Beige Box (mATX)
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Philips 32" Roku TV
Keyboard
Logitech K400R
Mouse
Logitech K400R
Mousepad
Onn Mousepad
Audio
TV Speakers / Monoprice Headphones
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 09:58 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I had a 9800 video card ( I think it went bad which was why I upgraded - but I'd need to double-check ). I don't think it is XT though.

I do have a lot of memory, SD, DDR, DDR2, some DDR3 so I may be able to provide that.

And, I do have some AMD boards, etc... and they were working but were just too slow if I recall correctly. Maybe some blown caps, but I'd need to double check.

ok... 2 AGP boards in front of me, one is my Asrock K7SX with AMD processor - need to check under heatsink... I removed the memory and video card for storage. This has 3 memory slots, DDR400 Serial for this board is 43M1WJ1079 - I think this was from my build when I was in Germany. Large printer serial port, 2x PS/2, 1x 9p serial, 4x USB ( likely 1.1 ), Ethernet ( I think its either 10/100 or 10/100/1000 ), 3 audio ports ( blue for input, green for stereo, pink for mic ) and 1 serial game port. This has 5 PCI slots - silkscreened ATA133 ( 2 slots for hard-drives ) and there are jumpers for FSB selections. There are 4 caps which are bulging or which look to be bad. Silkscreen actually shows it is 5.1 channel audio, and USB 2.0 ... Pulling the heatsink off, I see it is AMD Athlon Socket 462 - likely 3000+ ... The label says AMD Athlon( TM ) -- AXDA3000DKV4D9487552280228 -- AQUCA 0403RPmW ( UNKNOWN )( COPYRIGHT ) 1999 AMD

I can't recall whether socket 462 is the same as Socket A...

I also have a ECS? 760GX-M V:1.1A with other numbers 15-K26-011110 and label K26123 then serial is K26123E52805268 and EA=00142A19E5D0 with unknown processor - I think this one may actually be intel but I'll have to pop the heatsink to be sure. this has 2 DDR400 slots.

Both have DDR 400 proudly silkscreened on the boards...

I'm charging my camera and will get photos later today if you are interested. Original heatsink is with the AMD, for the other there is a different brand used.

The 9800 video card may be repairable - although, if I recall correctly, there was artifacting so probably not... Maybe it could be reflowed - I never tried. I think the FSB is right...

These older boards were typically easy to fix / replace caps - but my computer was getting old so I upgraded instead of repairing. I can't recall the symptoms - it may have just been noticing the bad caps so it may still run. as for DDR goes, I should be able to max out the board - I am pretty sure I did max it.

As for price, I would need to do research - I'd also be open to trades.

As for cases, I do have quite a few... I can take some photos - one is a massive, heavy with swivel feet for stability and locking front ( not sure if I have the key - tube lock ), the other is silver with a window.. simple.. Others are foxconn. I have no idea where the blue case is that I had with it, or the compaq presario case is - probably still in Germany in storage...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Moderators

Quote: Originally Posted by Acecool View Post
I had a 9800 video card ( I think it went bad which was why I upgraded - but I'd need to double-check ). I don't think it is XT though.

I do have a lot of memory, SD, DDR, DDR2, some DDR3 so I may be able to provide that.

And, I do have some AMD boards, etc... and they were working but were just too slow if I recall correctly. Maybe some blown caps, but I'd need to double check.

ok... 2 AGP boards in front of me, one is my Asrock K7SX with AMD processor - need to check under heatsink... I removed the memory and video card for storage. This has 3 memory slots, DDR400 Serial for this board is 43M1WJ1079 - I think this was from my build when I was in Germany. Large printer serial port, 2x PS/2, 1x 9p serial, 4x USB ( likely 1.1 ), Ethernet ( I think its either 10/100 or 10/100/1000 ), 3 audio ports ( blue for input, green for stereo, pink for mic ) and 1 serial game port. This has 5 PCI slots - silkscreened ATA133 ( 2 slots for hard-drives ) and there are jumpers for FSB selections. There are 4 caps which are bulging or which look to be bad. Silkscreen actually shows it is 5.1 channel audio, and USB 2.0 ... Pulling the heatsink off, I see it is AMD Athlon Socket 462 - likely 3000+ ... The label says AMD Athlon( TM ) -- AXDA3000DKV4D9487552280228 -- AQUCA 0403RPmW ( UNKNOWN )( COPYRIGHT ) 1999 AMD

I can't recall whether socket 462 is the same as Socket A...

I also have a ECS? 760GX-M V:1.1A with other numbers 15-K26-011110 and label K26123 then serial is K26123E52805268 and EA=00142A19E5D0 with unknown processor - I think this one may actually be intel but I'll have to pop the heatsink to be sure. this has 2 DDR400 slots.

Both have DDR 400 proudly silkscreened on the boards...

I'm charging my camera and will get photos later today if you are interested. Original heatsink is with the AMD, for the other there is a different brand used.

The 9800 video card may be repairable - although, if I recall correctly, there was artifacting so probably not... Maybe it could be reflowed - I never tried. I think the FSB is right...

These older boards were typically easy to fix / replace caps - but my computer was getting old so I upgraded instead of repairing. I can't recall the symptoms - it may have just been noticing the bad caps so it may still run. as for DDR goes, I should be able to max out the board - I am pretty sure I did max it.

As for price, I would need to do research - I'd also be open to trades.

As for cases, I do have quite a few... I can take some photos - one is a massive, heavy with swivel feet for stability and locking front ( not sure if I have the key - tube lock ), the other is silver with a window.. simple.. Others are foxconn. I have no idea where the blue case is that I had with it, or the compaq presario case is - probably still in Germany in storage...
If you wouldn't mind PM'ing me with the parts that you know for sure should work, I'd love to talk some business with ya. I'm not as stable as I used to be with a soldering iron, so I'd prefer to stay away from things that'll need repaired unless I don't find any other alternatives. And yes, Socket 462 = Socket A, but I'm specifically looking for 400MHz FSB NForce2 chipset for overclocking reasons. Socket A started out much much earlier than this with like 600MHz Duron processors in the Pentium 3 era and went through Pentium 4 era with the Athlon XP's. I'm looking for the later run motherboards.

Shooting again for Athlon XP Barton core / Radeon 9800XT and the rest of a high end system of that era. I can find cheap Via and SiS motherboards all day on ebay, the problem is finding enthusiast motherboards of the time.

I would also be willing to look at Socket 939 Opteron setups or a good Core 2 Duo setup, both with SLI GeForce 7900 series or I'd go up to an 8800GTX / Ultra or HD2900XT (first DX10 cards). Again, mostly full rig. Either era is what I'm after, with the older one being preferred, as I'm sitting on a Core 2 Duo HP business tower right now and not all that impressed with it.

DisposalAreav4.0
(15 items)
BeigeBox
(16 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.4GHz, 1.33v
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3
GPU
Asus RX580 8GB @ 1400 / 2150
RAM
Kingston HyperX (4x4GB) @ DDR3-1600, 8-9-8-24-1T
Hard Drive
Crucial MX100 256GB + Sandisk Ultra 240GB RAID0
Hard Drive
Toshiba 3TB 3.5"
Power Supply
PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 950w
Cooling
CoolerMaster 240mm
Case
DIY PC Cuboid Blue mATX
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Hanns G 23" 1080p / 60Hz
Keyboard
Redragon 10 keyless
Mouse
Logitech Optical Mouse USB
Mousepad
Generic Onn Black
Audio
Diamond Edison 2.0
CPU
Intel Core i5 3570
Motherboard
MSI B75MA-E33
GPU
MSI RX550 4GB
RAM
8GB GSkill Sniper DDR3-1600 @ 667, 9-9-9-24
Hard Drive
Intel 330 128GB SSD
Hard Drive
Sandisk Ultra 120GB SSD
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black 2.5" RAID0 1TB (500x2)
Power Supply
Antec VP450
Cooling
No fans except GPU and PSU
Case
Dell Beige Box (mATX)
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Philips 32" Roku TV
Keyboard
Logitech K400R
Mouse
Logitech K400R
Mousepad
Onn Mousepad
Audio
TV Speakers / Monoprice Headphones
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 08:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I'm not sure whether or not the board is 400 FSB, If I recall correctly it may be... I also have an 8800 and some other cards which has artifacts. Pretty sure I went from 9800 ati to 8800 or something nvidia, then a different 9800, then 750 ti, then 1080 gtx gaming x or something along those lines... I owned quite a few computers through the years so I'll need to confirm it.

I'd be happy to replace the caps - the one issue I've been having with replacement caps is they aren't generating the same power or causing other issues and this could be because for some ( one monitor I repaired worked but I only replaced 1 cap, then the others went bad so I replaced them but it doesn't seem to have the power to run so I swapped power boards so it could've been something else to get it running again - it is either something else was bad, which may be the case, or the caps, because they were smaller in size, but the same type voltage and amperage maybe there was an issue with that but I don't see that as being the issue but until I confirm it I'd rather not use those caps ) ... But, I do have a rework station so I can easily do the repair - I've worked on more complicated things which have turned out beautifully ( Such as putting together a PCB from open-source / hardware hackaday project for G25/27 Shifter & Pedals Adapter, rewiring a little bit of my rework station so that my heat-gun wire is detachable just like the soldering iron using the same GX16-* style screw-on plug, repairing numerous monitors, computers, laptops, etc.. with soldering so I don't doubt the solder-work )...

But, before I do that, I'll see about booting it up as is to get into the bios to see what everything says. I can't recall whether or not overclocking was available on the board but I'll look into that when I start it up.

I'll work on getting that done today ( Wednesday ) and I'll look at the video cards I have - actually I have to locate the AGP card the 9800 ( I'm pretty sure it went bad so I went to another board which was pci-e - or went to another card first ... hopefully I have an AGP card .. and if not I can only listen for beeps. )

Note: I am on the lookout for a desoldering gun - the kind with built-in heating element and vacuum all in one because the thumb ones are annoying so if you have one or know anyone that has one I'm interested...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in