Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - 480 faster than 560Ti??

View Single Post
post #75 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 11:45 PM
Princess Garnet
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 205 (Unique: 177)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessKnight View Post
HD 6870 ~ GTX 470 ~ GTX 560 Ti.

HD6950 is faster than all of the above cards, Its closer to GTX 570 performance.
I though it was more like this...

GeForce GTX 580 > GeForce GTX 570 = Radeon 6970 > GeForce GTX 560 Ti = Radeon 6950 > GeForce GTX 560 (non-Ti) = Radeon 6870 > GeForce GTX 460 = Radeon 6850

...or at least that's how I thought it was. Of course it's approximate (so the equals signs aren't literal) and dependent upon the game/situation, but I thought that was roughly how they lined up. Maybe drivers have changed it or something, but last I knew, the GeForce GTX 560 Ti has always been trading blows with the Radeon 6950, with the Radeon maybe a hair better and/or a hair cheaper, but not by much.

Reading this, I believe I have things right.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon...0-ti-review/18

It was "supposed" to go more against the GeForce GTX 570, but it fell just barely above the GeForce GTX 560 Ti.

Quote:
Compared to the GeForce GTX 560 Ti, the R6950 1GB shows a little more muscle, overall performance was a tad higher albeit we are talking about a couple of frames per second here and there. Now I really want to say this again, the R6950 was never supposed to be targeted against the GTX 560 as it is a high-end product whereas the GTX 560 is an upper segment mid-range product. So it makes sense that the R6950 wins in almost any scenario, albeit not with a huge margin.
Quote:
With all variables in mind never ever we had such a hard time picking a winner or preference based on either of the two products. We do need to mention though that when overclocked the GTX 560 Ti cards jump up in performance real fast, then again the R6950 overclock to 950 MHz perfectly fine as well yet seems to benefit from overclocking a little less. Overall the R6950 will be a tiny bit faster, but runs hotter and makes more noise.

Performance remains close to each other, and each brand offers some specific features that can appeal you. The massive choice in factory overclocked products from NVIDIA might make the difference for many of you.
It appears as though they used the reference clocks for the GeForce GTX 560 Ti as well (which is 822MHz), and almost all of those cards come clocked a bit higher at stock (usually 850MHz or above), meaning that already small "just a few frame" difference becomes even smaller in practice.

So, unless drivers have made a dramatic difference since then, I don't think a Radeon 6870 is as comparable to a GeForce GTX 560 Ti. It's more with the Radeon 6950. The GeForce GTX 570 is beyond it's reach. That's where the Radeon 6970 sits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessKnight View Post
It is not a very uncommon case to see a card that can't OC well. I had a similar problem when I tried a GTX 560 Ti that can't go above 900 MHz whatever VID I set it too. I thought for a second to replace my GTX 470 with it. but only 900 MHz was a big disappointment. It is even worse than my GTX 470 which is a total pos... can't even do 800 MHz. It just seems that I am unlucky when it comes to GPU OCing.
I think I am the same, but... it doesn't bother me much. I'm not too big on overclocking GPUs. Oddly, I overclock CPUs more than GPUs, yet for gaming, the reverse usually brings more improvement. GPUs don't seem to take it as well. they claim this and that... yet far more GPUs burn up and/or die than CPUs.

"The heart has it's reasons that reason knows nothing of."