Why is OCN so slow now with new design??? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Why is OCN so slow now with new design???

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 70 (Unique: 54)
The pages take 10 times longer now to load then they used to. Whats the deal. It used to take 1-2seconds to load a page before the redesign buy now it takes 10-15 seconds to load each page and its driving me crazy.

Whats up with that OCN? Why does your site take so much longer to load now? I love to come to your site and help people with information and experience buy it is kind of a burden now that I have to wait so long for pages to load. For a site that is not that complex it should not take nearly as long to load a new page.

Just thought maybe you guys could look into this. It is definitely a lot slower than it used to be. I thought it might have been my connection buy I haved tried 5 different connections and it takes just as long for each of them to load your pages. Also when Im typing most of the time the cursor wont keep up. It stop until I stop typing and then waits a few seconds then displays what I typed so in order to see what I typed I have so stop and wait for it to catch up.

Coming to OCN has become a more of a hassle than any other site that I use a lot. I'd prefer the old site back over this one because of the speed. It takes way too long for pages to load now. It never used to be like this.

I hope it can be fixed cause I dont know how mych more I can put up with it.

Just thought Id let you know what I think of the new site. It is nice but it is a lot slower than the old one and I would take speed over beauty any day.

Im not talking trash about your site, just wanted to bring it up so you are aware of it. Please try to fix this.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 08:32 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 292 (Unique: 219)
Switching platforms there is bound to be some issues to fix. The issues are being addressed and will hopefully be fixed soon.
Slightly off topic, my user title will remain the same till the site is improved.

I don't reply to trolls.

RIP SyrillianWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrillian go_quote.gif

Woohoo!

Well done you zombie stompin', Best Buy dissin' Lion Man!

applaud.gif

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 08:35 AM
In VB's Basement

We have fixed the speeds since release to help, however we are continuing to improve overall site performance and there will be an update to the site very soon with fixes etc. We will continue to make sure that the site is as optimized and accessible to everyone as possible.

Need help with your account or something forum related ? Please use our Contact Us form

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 08:42 AM

Noticed this too. Also on tapatalk the for sale area only has a link to the archived one.

Sent from my Evo 3D using Tapatalk

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 08:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 260 (Unique: 207)
I open multiple tabs and dont notice a slowdown anymore. Though tapatalk causes me some problems.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 08:58 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 51 (Unique: 51)
I think this issue is two fold.

1. The site actually uses more resources to load, your pc or device has to work harder to display the OCN site.

2. The OCN servers are likely the same servers they were using before and on the same internet connection, however now that internet connection is moving more data through it.

I have noticed the OCN site slow with more users on it - It ran REALLY fast right when they brought it back up because relatively low user activity (I even commented on how fast the new site was running within 5min of using it) - however I now see that was due to low user count.

This all comes down to limited throughput on the internet connection running the OCN servers. See the new adds here? hopefully they will help OCN get a faster internet connection with the revenue generated from them.

Do they think this will help prevent piracy? netflix helps prevent piracy and they are going after it.. WOW. Super job.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 08:59 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 21 (Unique: 20)
101i want my old oclock back,bawaa

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 11:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 830 (Unique: 654)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killam0n View Post

2. The OCN servers are likely the same servers they were using before and on the same internet connection, however now that internet connection is moving more data through it.

Nope, OCN is on new servers.

Why I fold:

sad-smiley-002.gifLost: Father: Liver Cancer '08, Aunt: Ovarian Cancer '96, Aunt: Brain Cancer, '13, Grandmother: Bone Cancer '99,
thumb.gifWinning; Brother-in-Law: Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma - 11 yrs; Brother-in-Law: Pancreatic Cancer - 4 yrs; Mother-in-Law: Breast cancer - 22 years, Ureter Cancer 1 year!

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 11:56 AM
Senior Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE View Post

We have fixed the speeds since release to help, however we are continuing to improve overall site performance and there will be an update to the site very soon with fixes etc. We will continue to make sure that the site is as optimized and accessible to everyone as possible.

Nothing has been "fixed" on my end... I think the more appropriate term to use here would be "in the process" of fixing these speed issues.

Needed to clarify this!

Quote:
The man never feels the want of what it never occurs to him to ask for. - Arthur Schopenhauer

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 12:52 PM
Bod ***s rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-block View Post

Noticed this too. Also on tapatalk the for sale area only has a link to the archived one.
Sent from my Evo 3D using Tapatalk
This is an issue on tapatalks end as they don't support the enhanced format the new marketplace uses nor do they support the new threaded PM system we use
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killam0n View Post

1. The site actually uses more resources to load, your pc or device has to work harder to display the OCN site.
I have noticed the OCN site slow with more users on it - It ran REALLY fast right when they brought it back up because relatively low user activity (I even commented on how fast the new site was running within 5min of using it) - however I now see that was due to low user count.
This all comes down to limited throughput on the internet connection running the OCN servers. See the new adds here? hopefully they will help OCN get a faster internet connection with the revenue generated from them.

vB OCN was hosted on 3 dual core wolfdale rigs now we are on enterprise class servers (multiple CPUs per server, multi core Xeons?)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in