How to delete overclock.net account?? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

How to delete overclock.net account??

Closed Thread

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

How to delete overclock.net account??

Trying to find an option to completely delete my account, but can't find one. Please instruct me how to completely delete my account and remove all data connected to this account.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 03:45 AM
Bod ***s rock

Hi, Unfortunately we do not delete accounts
Quote:
You agree that your submissions to Overclock.net will only be removed if deemed necessary by Overclock.net. Due to the nature of Overclock.net, we will not delete user accounts or mass delete their posts. We will only delete posts that we are informed of and deem do not comply with the Terms of Use. Please only sign up and use Overclock.net if you are comfortable with your contributions staying part of the collective conversation on Overclock.net now and in the future.
https://www.overclock.net/community-guidelines/

gonX edit: We now take requests for anonymization of accounts. Please read this post by our admin, ENTERPRISE:
Quote: Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE View Post
We do not ''delete'' accounts, we do however remove any personally identifiable information from your account in order to stay within any GDPR regulations. You can request an account obfuscation here: by selecting ''Account Removals'' : https://www.overclock.net/forum/sendmessage.php. We do not outright delete accounts as this would destroy any posts/threads related to said account which would create a continuity nightmare within threads and could possibly destroy valuable information others may find useful. As per the Community Guidelines, OCN owns any content submitted and so long as said content does not infringe on your privacy, it will remain.

If in doubt, contact us, saves a lot of speculation.

Last edited by gonX; 03-27-2019 at 11:24 AM.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote: Originally Posted by Bitemarks and bloodstains View Post
Hi, Unfortunately we do not delete accounts

https://www.overclock.net/community-guidelines/
I am fine with posts remaining, I only require my account deleted and my username removed. I believe this won't breach your community traditions or rules. My posts can stay as long as the username is changed to something else (from a random generated user to "Anonymous").

Considering the latest regulations in personal data handling, I believe you should allow this option to your users. Also, if the "internal rules" of this forum you don't delete posts, that should be stated in a clear manner when a new account is created, instead of being buried in a Policy somewhere...

Thank you for considering my request.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 04:11 AM

Quote: Originally Posted by derei View Post
I am fine with posts remaining, I only require my account deleted and my username removed. I believe this won't breach your community traditions or rules. My posts can stay as long as the username is changed to something else (from a random generated user to "Anonymous").

Considering the latest regulations in personal data handling, I believe you should allow this option to your users. Also, if the "internal rules" of this forum you don't delete posts, that should be stated in a clear manner when a new account is created, instead of being buried in a Policy somewhere...

Thank you for considering my request.
We don't accept voluntary bans either or delete username or accounts. Can you contact me via PM and explain to me why you want your account removed? You don't need to post it here. You can send it via PM and address your concerns there. You privacy will be respected, I promise.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote: Originally Posted by HowHardCanItBe View Post
We don't accept voluntary bans either or delete username or accounts. Can you contact me via PM and explain to me why you want your account removed? You don't need to post it here. You can send it via PM and address your concerns there. You privacy will be respected, I promise.
check your messages. thanks
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 09:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
I'd also like my account deleted! If needed I can spam the forums for a ban!?
I also predate the mod as a user on this forum which should count for something.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 10:43 PM
Not new to Overclock.net

Rep: 6214 (Unique: 3521)
Quote: Originally Posted by MRrepair2002 View Post
I'd also like my account deleted! If needed I can spam the forums for a ban!?
I also predate the mod as a user on this forum which should count for something.
Why do you need your account deleted? Just stop using it. It's not like it hurts anything for it to continue existing.

Loneliness is a good thing to share with someone.

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.
CPU
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage)
Motherboard
ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850)
GPU
MSI GTX 1070 Ti Gaming Titanium 8G
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9
Hard Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (OS)
Hard Drive
3 TB Toshiba P300 (D: drive)
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x
Cooling
Thermaltake Frio
Case
CM 690
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC)
Keyboard
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO
Mouse
Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate
Mousepad
It's just a mousepad
Audio
X-Fi Titanium HD
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable speaker wires)
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 05:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Overclock.net doesn't let you delete your account, LAME!

Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Why do you need your account deleted? Just stop using it. It's not like it hurts anything for it to continue existing.
Just because the mods here, and people like you are ill informed and choose to be forced to stay? so should everyone else?
This is not valid in the year 2019 or any any other year, forcing users to remain on a site they no longer want to associate with. That's LAME!

Abandoned accounts make up the upper 90% range of spam, scam, and stolen identity accounts. Leading them to appear to come from the original account owner. How is this ok? Is this site that desperate to keep its user count up for ad revenue?

What kind of **** is not allowing people to remove their unused and old account, potentially with decade old, stale passwords!?

I don't trust this admin to keep this site and it's databases up to date and protected to protect its users data and online presence with this type of mentality.

Forcing users to keep an account open that they no longer want, how is this good for anyone? Oh.. false user engagement stats to up ad prices? maybe? Probably!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 06:27 PM
Meep

Rep: 291 (Unique: 216)
Quote: Originally Posted by MRrepair2002 View Post
Sure ALL of your 19 posts sure must count for something, such effort must have gone into that.

Anyway, I assume the reason they don't let you remove your account is to prevent massive loss of posts from happening, as that completely ruins much of the information a forum has gathered. I've seen it happen on others.

As for your password, just change it into something random and let it be?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 06:34 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 193 (Unique: 151)
From https://www.overclock.net/community-guidelines/ (this clause has been present for as long as I can remember, and from the people I've spoken to, since well before I joined; you should have seen this when you signed up. If you didn't agree with it, you should have stopped.)

Quote: Originally Posted by Community Guidelines
||Account Removals ||

We do not delete accounts from the site due to the nature of the relationship between the account and content posted. Content/Community assets would be damaged as a result. However any request of account removal will instead be fully obfuscated removing any personally identifiable information as per GDPR policies. Said account will also have its registered email removed and its password randomized effectively disabling the account from future use. For account removal please request this via our Contact Us form and select ”Account Removals”

DO NOT PURCHASE ITEMS IN THE MARKETPLACE VIA PAYPAL GIFT, AND DO NOT REQUEST OTHER USERS PAY FOR ITEMS VIA PAYPAL GIFT. IT IS AGAINST PAYPAL AND OCN.NET'S RULES, AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

You don't have to like the rules, but you agree to follow them by joining Overclock.net.
Overclock.net Terms of Service

Last edited by MistaBernie; 03-20-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in