Overclock.net banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

35 rep points for marketplace?

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  ENTERPRISE 
#1 ·
So I've only been on this forum for 3 or 4 months or so but I basically read it everyday with only a few posts. However I do sell in the marketplace, I have only gotten positive remarks for stuff I have sold and I believe having $800 sent to me and me following through with my deal should mean I can use the marketplace. However this new change on 2-28-19 I am going to be stopped from selling things on the marketplace but I've earned a reliable reporting there. So I'm asking is there anything I can do to still be able to use the marketplace?

#2 ·
Unfortunately,this is the way it was before the site migrated to VS …. If you read the guidelines,I'm sure that the 35 REP requirement rule was mentioned..

Even tho I'm not active on the marketplace myself , it's a rule I abide by , cause for one , it keeps the marketplace OCN member oriented , keeping away it's core from something like what's going on "Craigslist" f.e , plus it's an incentive for members to keep being helpful and active in this community..and that's a win win in my book at least..

So to sum up , does it seem fair to a 4 month member with 100% positive marketplace feedback ? No...I'm sure it doesn't .. But as mentioned before,the free-for-all marketplace use was a temporary thing until the site got back to (somewhat) how it used to operate before it's (poor planned imho) transition to VS from Huddler..

I hope that this won't defer you from remaining in this community , tho I do hope that it might give you one extra incentive to maybe be more active in it..

I'm sure if you have any open marketplace transactions the mods will happily help you get through them ..

I really am sorry I'm not very helpful in the thing you ask , but the least I can do is +REP you once, to start you off-as to speak..

#4 ·
You have 6 now if the BROKEN REP SYS is actually fixed, what a joke sites been jacked up for a year.

• Rep+
Reactions: iSpark
#5 ·
Hi,
I thought it was very odd to open the market place up to everyone regardless of time here anyway
Now after it seems even odder to go back to the minimum rep

But a basic example of give and take away.

#7 ·
Hi,
Another good one is
One can buy from market place but not sell without minimum 35 rep count.

Confirming want a mod said long ago somewhere to a similar inquiry
Rule keeps someone from joining ocn and just attempting to sell their junk.

#9 ·
Hi,
Well the golden part is newbies can buy all the junk they want too :thumb:

#10 ·
"Tools -> Unanswered Threads" used to be a good way to get rep, help people who no one else helped. but I have a feeling most people aren't going to give rep any longer because they forgot about it :laughings

#13 · (Edited)
I suspect it's a bit more complex than that. The site no longer has the active user/member base it had before VS took it over, and a lot of good people have gone elsewhere. A handful of the users who were truly knowledgeable still actively participate, but nothing like what once was:

Source

It could improve, given time and appropriate attention, recouping some of what was lost, but that could take years (and an owner other than VS).

#11 ·
Holy crap, REP is BACK!

The minimums for marketplace are a must have IMO, I get so tired of seeing scalpers and people here just to sell something. It's gotten better but it was terrible a couple months ago. "I've been here for 5 minutes, want my 2500k rig for $500?" lol

If you want to sell to the community, become part of the community. I feel like this is fair simply because we all typically work with each other and give deals just because we'd rather a fellow enthusiast get the part they want than sell for more money on eBay. I couldn't afford an upgrade to a 4790k if not for the marketplace here...well I could but I'm not spending that on a 4 year old rig. People here understand that, most will be very honest about exactly how an item was used (and you can see their threads about it).
35 rep isn't much.

#12 ·
Hi,
There probably should be exceptions like in iSpark 10 freaking years :confused:

But as an example some people couldn't find the rep button with a seeing eye dog lol

Some forums have a feature that show counts of not only latest received but also reps given to others
That usually explained a lot :D

#14 ·
It's almost like in the mandatory read post they say

"THIS WILL NOT BE CHANGED, DO NOT ASK US TO BEND THE RULES FOR YOU"

Learn to read, OP. Nobody cares how much you've spent here or how much money people have given you. No one is going to bend rules just for you. There are plenty of places to sell your hardware, or you can try making useful contributions to the forum rather than hissy fits.

#15 ·
Hi,
Yeah I remember when I first joined
There were 3-400 users online usually.
Now lucky if 100 are online heck of a difference.

Not sure what the bots/ guests are doing here the forum is totally borked logged out with a forum cache dated back to 2-7-2019 lol :)

#16 ·
There is always going to be a bar of entry to the Marketplace for sellers.

The reason the Marketplace was opened up was at the time of that decision, there really was no sign of the system coming back anytime soon. With that in mind, I did not want to punish the entire community for the development shortfalls and temporarily opened it up to the general public. As there was no REP system enabling people to earn their way into the Marketplace, I felt it was poor to keep them locked out from that opportunity during that period. I hasten to add I did clearly state it was a temporary change, it was just unfortunate that temporary change was a long one but ultimately out of my control until I bought on BFRD. While I can understand that it sucks to have access and then suddenly not, the Marketplace is an earned right and always has been. The fact that those who have had access under the 35Rep minimum during this time, please consider it a taster, like I said. It was never a permanent change.

I get that some have joined OCN since the system has been down and did not know any better, that is regrettable but I am not going to be making any exceptions to the rules and ignorance of the rules is not a form of protection from them. There may be a point we revise the entry level, but exceptions to the rule itself will not be made, Sorry

Warning has been given for those who have sale threads to have them all done and dusted by the 28th if you can, if not then the threads will be closed.

Sorry that I could bring more pleasant news, but it is what it is.

E

Thread Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.