Howto: DIY n64 power supply - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Howto: DIY n64 power supply

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 42 (Unique: 40)
This was a royal pain to figure out, and I feel the need to write it up somewhere - I did get part off google (the voltages), which I will link below this paragraph, but I also had to rip my console apart to find the pin numbers on the logic board (screw you, nintendo, for those screws).

My source for voltages, to match against pin numbers: http://pinouts.ru/Game/nintendo_power_pinout.shtml

What you need:

An unloved ATX PSU.

and,

Either the brains to find something that can be used to make a plug that will fit (please share what, if you do) or being comfortable with the possibility that your cat walking by could cause an electrical fire (as could breathing on the console, practically), if you just jam the wires into the holes - you'll have 12v right next to a ground, and it should be watched at all times the console is on (alternately, the wires could be soldered onto the logic board, or the backs of the pins). In the long run, I'll probably put a circular (of the type found inside female molex connectors) push connector on each wire, and heatshrink it all the way to slightly past the tip, for safeties sake.

The pinouts are as follows (viewing from the back of the console, right-side-up):

Pin number:

3 2 1

6 5 4

Power requirement:

3.3v 3.3v gnd

12v gnd gnd

ATX translation:

orange orange black

yellow black black

And to start the PSU, jump the green wire to a black wire. Be VERY careful not to let any of the other wires you're using touch each other, or anything but the pin they're supposed to be connecting to.

My source for the powers does list the amperage for each pin, but just about any ATX PSU should have enough.

If anyone is so grateful that they feel compelled to donate an n64 controller, I'd be much obliged.

PS: don't waste your time or knuckles trying to make a PSU connector fit, it won't, I'd be willing to bet you. I did several things to them and it seems hopeless, they're square and don't fit, and not the kind of plastic that you can fit with heat - it's just frustrating, because it's so close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h00chi3 go_quote.gif
all your ram are belong to Vista.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe8503 go_quote.gif
There are no girls on the Internet. On the Internet, all men are men, all girls are men, and all children are the FBI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 07:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 612 (Unique: 408)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 42 (Unique: 40)
I'm a bad geek, I don't know what a linear regularor is tongue.gif I assume something to drop 12v for the 3.3?

Ehh this will work well, as soon as I get the plug figured out, or I could solder a PCIE plug to the internal pins, and use one of those on the PSU (obviously corrected for the necessary rails).

Plus, this is easy for chumps like me, any PSU is already set up to do it perfectly.

Of course if you have a dead power brick with the connector, the plug is probably easy to rig, it's just hard for me since I only have the cosole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h00chi3 go_quote.gif
all your ram are belong to Vista.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe8503 go_quote.gif
There are no girls on the Internet. On the Internet, all men are men, all girls are men, and all children are the FBI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 10:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
So my original N64 eventually died. I am so happy to see your post on here! Indeed there was an unloved ATX PSU lurking in my attic. I found that a simple mains 3-wire cable is good for the job, since those 3,3 V pins are interconnected, as are the three negatives. One neat black cable from the ATX to the @[email protected] N64 adapter plug which I ripped out of the broken module. All connecting happily to my trusty console. Once hooked up, everything ran perfectly well. Anyone who will try this great solution will find it is a perfect replacement at zero cost. Thank you for this helpful post!
biggrin.gif:D:D

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in