Restoration Project : Alienware M17 (2008 version) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Restoration Project : Alienware M17 (2008 version)

post #1 of 176 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 54 (Unique: 49)
M17-R1 (2008 pre-dell, this is the last 17 inch laptop alien-ware ever produced)
The Restoration is 80% Complete now. The last step is acquiring 4850M GPU's in CFX smile.gif

Processor: Q9000 Quad Core 2.00Ghz ($94.85 *COMPLETED
Memory: 8GB Crucial DDR3 1066 Dual Channel Kit ($56.99 *COMPLETED)
Hard Drive 1: Crucial M4 64GB SSD ($0 from desktop *COMPLETED)
Hard Drive 2: Spinpoint M8 1TB 5400rpm HD ($89.93 *COMPLETED)
Solder Tip, Flux Pen, New USB port $31.62 (COMPLETED)
GPU's: Possible 4850x2, waiting for used parts to sell

Selling Old Parts, Getting Ready For New GPU's
3870m Slave Card $89.99
Intel Core 2 Duo p8400 Mobile $24.99
4GB DDR3 1066 PC3-8500S $18.99
Seagate Momentus 160GB 7200RPM 2.5' Sata II $19.99 -Sold
Western Digital Scorpio 250GB, 2.5" 5400 RPM $25.99 - Sold
If I get the asking price for all of the above, that is $179.95

Damage Report:

near the fingerprint sensor there are some noticeable burns (cigarettes while DJing, bad habit)

again there are more burns, affecting the power switch panel, and keyboard.

then we have some corner damage on the lower case piece.

I figured ALL NEW casing would only be a little bit over $100 I have found a site called ZTRONICS that has special parts.

UPDATE: 2/14/13 Today I just unboxed the first shipment for the restoration. the rest of the panels should be arriving next week, then I will break the laptop down and re-assemble it biggrin.gif

PARTS:

when I finish with the panels this thing is going to look BRAND NEW, like it just came out of the box!!!

2/16/13 OK UPDATE HERE!
the rest of the panels arrived today.

First Remove The Power Plug, Then Battery, Then Hard Drives, Then You Remove The Back Panel. Results:

Remove All The Screws Holding Together The Upper Panel And Screen

Flip The Laptop Over, then after removing the screen these are the results:

Remove Top Screws, And The Upper Panel Pops Off Revealing The Motherboard.

Next Of Course Is The Results of a A Complete And Total Disassemble, *Notice The Anti-Static Matt!!

yada yada yada blah blah blah, Hours later, HOUSTON WE HAVE A POST!:

Confirmed, The Alien Is Indeed Alive, The Autopsy of live Specimen Proved To Be Successful

no dents, no knicks, no scratches. as far as I know, this m17 was just unboxed thumb.gif

I did not make a video, as I have found a video of this laptop breaking down for reference.

It took me a long time to gather all of this information, lots of google-ing and hunting for hours. so I will save you all the time and work, and here Is what I have come up with.

LINKS AREA:

PDF Service Manual:
OCZ/M17/W840DI Manual

M17 B14 BIOS:
M17 R1 B14 BIOS

M17 Modded Bios:
029 zfactor VT MOD R2 (please use at your own risk)

Links to parts, along with the prices:
For those of you that need a replacement screen, or would like to upgrade to a 1920x1200 glossy/matte you can find them relatively cheap at laptopscreen.com
Alienware M17R1 17-inch WideScreen WUXGA (1920x1200) $84.99

Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 $54.99 (Newegg)

SAMSUNG Spinpoint M8 1TB HD 5400RPM $89.99 (Newegg)

M17-R1 Screw Set $4.99

Alienware M17-R1 Panel C $11.95 (Ztronics)

Alienware M17-R1 Panel A Ripley $12.95 (Ztronics)

Power Button Panel - M17-R1 $24.95 (Ebay)

M17-R1 Bottom Base Assembly PANEL D $24.95 (Ebay)

M17 UK LED Backlit Keyboard $49.95 (Ebay)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 176 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Original Specs of My M17:
Processor:P8400 Dual Core 2.26GHz
Memory: 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 1066MHz
Hard Drive: 160GB 7,200RPM
Video/Graphics Card: 3870x2

SubTotal: $2,099.00
Shipping: $70.00
Discount: $70.00
Tax: $162.67
Order Total: $2,261.67 (2008 Price For This Beast)

post #3 of 176 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 12:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 64 (Unique: 59)
not a laptop expert, but dont think you will be able to upgrade a huge amount, new hdd. new ram. maybe a new cpu within reason (as long as its tdp isnt much higher than current one)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 176 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

suggestions, prices, links? Like I said, new Cpu (quad core), new ram(8gb), new battery, new hard drives an SSD and at least 1-2TB of storage, new keyboard, Nvidia GPU's For Cuda and Video Rendering, maybe a sand + refinish with silver paint to match my turntables.

post #5 of 176 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 10:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 183 (Unique: 159)
Looks good, I think you will end up spending a lot more money than necessary to upgrade those gpus to something of the nvidia flavor. I know its not for gaming, but that will probably be the most difficult task besides assembling and disassembling for painting.

You have to find out what type of graphics slot that particular model had, as well as what other gpu options were made available. Research the GPU upgrade online, see if anyone else has done it beyond what was initially offered with the laptop. Then you will need to either flash the vbios of the card, update the bios of the notebook, or both, find a suitable replacement for the heatsink on them, and then I think there might be a need for modified drivers. Also, if the GPUs use more power, you might also need to replace the power brick,

I wish I could give you more info on the GPU upgrade, I only researched it a little (just before buying my new sager) to see what the procedure entailed.

Otherwise your CPU and RAM options look good. if the notebook only has 2 drive bays and you want 1-2 tb of storage, I would recommend getting a decent SSD, like a Crucial M4, Samsung 830 or an Intel 320 Series (especially since that notebook probably only has SATA 2) 128gb or higher. Prices are all over the place, watch for a sale and I am sure you will be happy with any of those 3 SSDs. and get a decent 750 to 1TB HDD

If you need more than 750-1000gb of storage, you might need to scrap the SSD and go for 2 mecahnical drives. I like western digital and seagate. I have used samsung 3.5" drives before, but never the laptop ones. I would be willing to try one if the price was right. Also Newegg doesnt seem to have any 7200RPM 1tb hard drives in the 2.5" form factor, so keep that in mind as well.

As for the battery and paint... Google the part number of the battery, im sure one will be available. The paint job... well that's something I can't comment on. Ive never painted a laptop.

I can't say I agree with upgrading this laptop too much. Its pretty old. I understand its sentimental and you want to do it. I might do it just for kicks, as cheaply as possible and buy something new. The sandy bridge cpus with a new nvidia GTX 560m sats 6gbps etc will run circiles around that laptop both for day to day and for the rendering you want to do. Not to mention better battery life and reliability.

**Edit**

It looks like you might be able to upgrade the GPUs to a pair of GTX260m or GTX280m GPUs. But this may also require the power brick. Another thing to note is that they need to be for that particular M17 notebook, the correct SLI cable, etc...

Also a couple of quick searches also brought up that, upgrading the CPU to a quad extreme cpU or similar can produce stuttering. Probably not something you want when playing music. Your Q9200 looks good. Heh.

Just thought I would share those things I found after a quick search...

ID

https://www.overclock.net/images/smi...lame-small.gifOCN Water Cooling Clubhttps://www.overclock.net/images/smi...lame-small.gif

My old Opty 165 @ 3006mhz
Gaming Rig
(9 items)
The New Gamer
(16 items)
CPU
i7 9700k
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Auros Pro
GPU
eVGA GTX 1080
RAM
G skill trident Z
Hard Drive
WD Black NVME
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 860
Cooling
Enermax Liqmax II 240mm w/ Gentle typhoon 1850 RPM Fans
Case
Corsair 500D RGB SE
Monitor
MSI Mag 24C Curved
CPU
i5 2500k
Motherboard
GA-Z68X-UD3H
GPU
eVGA GTX580
RAM
2x4gb 1600mhz
Hard Drive
Crucial M4
Hard Drive
Samsung F3
Optical Drive
CD/DVD-RW
Power Supply
760w PC-P&P Silencer
Cooling
XSPC Rasa 750 RX360 Kit
Case
Lian Li PC-G70
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Monitor
22" LG 1680x1050
Keyboard
Steelseries 6GV2
Mouse
G500
Audio
Creative X-Fi Titanium
Audio
Steelseries Siberia V2
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 176 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 10:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 58 (Unique: 51)
It costs an arm and a leg to get upgrade parts from dell (if they even allow you to get them) plus most parts are proprietary which means you can't just buy cpus or gpus and have them work flawlessly since there will be installation and driver issues. I was once debating to upgrade my M15x but with the amount of money dell wanted for the upgrades ($700 for 6970m and $500 for second gen i7) I just ended building a new pc. I would suggest that you look into a newer laptop altogether.

post #7 of 176 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 11:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 81 (Unique: 73)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archngamin View Post

It costs an arm and a leg to get upgrade parts from dell (if they even allow you to get them) plus most parts are proprietary which means you can't just buy cpus or gpus and have them work flawlessly since there will be installation and driver issues. I was once debating to upgrade my M15x but with the amount of money dell wanted for the upgrades ($700 for 6970m and $500 for second gen i7) I just ended building a new pc. I would suggest that you look into a newer laptop altogether.

I disagree. Much can be upgraded on the m17.

I'd suggest keeping the 3870's. Should be plenty of power for your needs. You can put a quad core in yourself. Don't let people fool you, I've done it myself.

Possibly consider buying an entire new motherboard and build from that.
post #8 of 176 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

thanks for all the feedback guys... I figured out the 3870s are on MXM III interphase, they each have their own slot, so GPU/CPU are definitely switchable, as for Nvidia Flavor GPU's Im currently eyeballing the NVIDIA QUADRO FX 2700M 512MB MXM-III, I think two of those would suit my mobile video rendering needs, just looking for GPUs that will cut down time on the video conversion process.. dont care about gaming, I really like the 3870s and have been happy with them for years but they don't help with the processing load, and most modern games wont run at decent framerates on this 1920x1200 display so even for gaming they are useless.

keep in mind it is same laptop as the OCZ WHITEBOOK, here is loads of technical info http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Alienware-M17-Gaming-Notebook.14089.0.html

post #9 of 176 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 11:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 313 (Unique: 253)
OT, but nice setup you have there. Was curious what mixer your using? Vestax PCM?

post #10 of 176 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 11:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 183 (Unique: 159)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archngamin View Post

Why does he need to buy from dell? The CPU is upgradeable, and can be purchased on ebay, same thing with used GPUs... Not all laptops are completely soldered together. Most higher end gaming laptops, have GPU slots, and replaceable processors. As for the prices alienware charges... that's a different subject all together, one which I agree with you on, they can be incredibly expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK_47 View Post

thanks for all the feedback guys... I figured out the 3870s are on MXM III interphase, they each have their own slot, so GPU/CPU are definitely switchable, as for Nvidia Flavor GPU's Im currently eyeballing the NVIDIA QUADRO FX 2700M 512MB MXM-III, I think two of those would suit my mobile video rendering needs, just looking for GPUs that will cut down time on the video conversion process.. dont care about gaming, I really like the 3870s and have been happy with them for years but they don't help with the processing load, and most modern games wont run at decent framerates on this 1920x1200 display so even for gaming they are useless.

keep in mind it is same laptop as the OCZ WHITEBOOK, here is loads of technical info http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Alienware-M17-Gaming-Notebook.14089.0.html

I didn't even think about quadro cards, good idea.

I would look around and see if you can find anyone who has successfully gotten a quadro to run in an m17 before spending the money, and those prices are pretty reasonable. There is just a lot to make sure of before you drop a card in. Its not the same as a desktop. I know, for example on my sager, I kept reading that for a while, if you bought a laptop with an ATI card it had one bios, and if you bought the same laptop configured for nvidia it had a different one. So you had to find the correct one ( from a different vendor) to make it work. Wierd things like that.

I hope I did not come across as discouraging you too much from doing this upgrade, I just wanted to make you aware that its not always as easy as a drop in and go scenario.

Everything will be an easy upgrade up to the GPUs, and even then if you do your homework beforehand, even that might be a piece of cake.

I look forward to seeing your progress!

ID

https://www.overclock.net/images/smi...lame-small.gifOCN Water Cooling Clubhttps://www.overclock.net/images/smi...lame-small.gif

My old Opty 165 @ 3006mhz
Gaming Rig
(9 items)
The New Gamer
(16 items)
CPU
i7 9700k
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Auros Pro
GPU
eVGA GTX 1080
RAM
G skill trident Z
Hard Drive
WD Black NVME
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 860
Cooling
Enermax Liqmax II 240mm w/ Gentle typhoon 1850 RPM Fans
Case
Corsair 500D RGB SE
Monitor
MSI Mag 24C Curved
CPU
i5 2500k
Motherboard
GA-Z68X-UD3H
GPU
eVGA GTX580
RAM
2x4gb 1600mhz
Hard Drive
Crucial M4
Hard Drive
Samsung F3
Optical Drive
CD/DVD-RW
Power Supply
760w PC-P&P Silencer
Cooling
XSPC Rasa 750 RX360 Kit
Case
Lian Li PC-G70
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Monitor
22" LG 1680x1050
Keyboard
Steelseries 6GV2
Mouse
G500
Audio
Creative X-Fi Titanium
Audio
Steelseries Siberia V2
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in