[INFORMATION THREAD] --- Gaming Laptops --- Things To Know --- {Read Before Posting!!! Can Help Decide For You!!!} - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

View Poll Results: Was this thread helpful to you?
Yes. 52 85.25%
No. 3 4.92%
Mixed... 6 9.84%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

[INFORMATION THREAD] --- Gaming Laptops --- Things To Know --- {Read Before Posting!!! Can Help Decide For You!!!}

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #21 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 01:26 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 441
Rep: 10 (Unique: 6)
I was looking at laptops and cant figure out if using a external display, becomes to much work for latest gaming. Looking at a 15.6 with a 650 or 670, my concern is heat. I like how the spec.s look for the
gt 650, for when I'm using it with 24 1080 120 hrtz max sized monitor. Would like to over clock get the high fps. But I'm assuming that heat really becomes a issue. Then would it be better to spend the extra money for the 670, if using at times with a monitor. I would like to stay away from fast battery drain as well, no where to charge on airplanes etc. where it seems the 670 might not work out as well. Well I guess what I'm trying to say is best gpu 15.6 pc for highest res. , and lowest battery drain. Then alternatives look for higher celled batterys etc. Got a old laptop looking forward to getting a new one, cant even play games the lag is killing me, set at lowest resolution. Would like a 1000 + to go further than just 6 months, I still need money to buy games to play on the pc.
Petey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 09:36 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 441
Rep: 10 (Unique: 6)
Well I guess I said something wrong, no reply's. Well figured out how to state the question, people need to bench mark with like a 24 120hrz. monitor with the laptop. Its not like there are 120hrz monitors every where, but sometimes you get lucky in hotel rooms with a 36 120hz TV. If its there may as well use it. Small Screens all day long then go to the room and still get stuck on a small screen is a nightmare. Not to mention being away from your desktop isn't bad enough, You get stuck with a small screen googly eyes wackosmiley.gif Then If you run into a monitor out and about you know what your system can do, Or if it can even compete at a lan party etc. Its ok to reply I wont bite, only if you ask nicely.
Petey is offline  
post #23 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 10:00 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
jrbroad77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,680
Rep: 288 (Unique: 245)
There are laptop benchmarks at 1080p. Testing on a 120hz monitor has no effect - just like you can get over 120 FPS on a 120hz monitor, you can get over 60FPS on a 60hz monitor (Note, the benchmark is independant of how many frames the screen can display per second, only depends on how many frames the GPU renders per second). http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html

While its not an exact science, you can also take the laptop GPU's specs and a couple benchmark scores (say 3DMark11), and try to extrapolate by comparing with the desktop version of the GPU. Example, the 7970M is a desktop 7870 downclocked to 800ish mhz (I forget exactly what speed). Suppose the 7870's 3DMark11 score is 15% higher, and it's clockspeed is 20% higher - you could expect performance to be within 15-20% for pretty much any game. 15% might be more realistic.

The Nvidia 650M is pretty meh. Technically it can play at 1080p, but it won't get near 120FPS in most new games. Not worthy of a $1000 laptop. Nvidia 660M is pretty similar to the 670M once you overclock it. 670M has much higher power consumption, and much worse performance/watt so I couldn't recommend it. I personally would go with an AMD 7970M, or even a 7950M in your situation. They'll both blow away the 670M, 675M, 580M, whatever. And they have the benefit of increased performance/watt, and AMD ZeroCore (the GPU will use almost no power when idle). 7970M should release in about 2-3 weeks. If that's not in your budget, wait for 7870M performance numbers. Nvidia gave a half-done effort to their mobile lineup this year, only 28nm upper-midrange+ cards are 660M and 680M, leaving a huge gap.

jrbroad77 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter
Laptop Enthusiast
 
Imglidinhere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 9,159
Rep: 446 (Unique: 332)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey View Post

Well I guess I said something wrong, no reply's. Well figured out how to state the question, people need to bench mark with like a 24 120hrz. monitor with the laptop. Its not like there are 120hrz monitors every where, but sometimes you get lucky in hotel rooms with a 36 120hz TV. If its there may as well use it. Small Screens all day long then go to the room and still get stuck on a small screen is a nightmare. Not to mention being away from your desktop isn't bad enough, You get stuck with a small screen googly eyes wackosmiley.gif Then If you run into a monitor out and about you know what your system can do, Or if it can even compete at a lan party etc. Its ok to reply I wont bite, only if you ask nicely.

Contrary to most of the beliefs here, I and all of the other ACTUAL mods, along with a few of the regulars like myself, have real lives and aren't always on here posting away. I cannot give you all the answers out there and making snide little remarks like the ones in bold are actually prone to keep me and others away. :|


As for your initial question, I was in the middle of a reply when my internet went out and I got hung up at home anyhow so I forgot about trying to paste my response again and post it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey View Post

I was looking at laptops and cant figure out if using a external display, becomes to much work for latest gaming. Looking at a 15.6 with a 650 or 670, my concern is heat. I like how the spec.s look for the
gt 650, for when I'm using it with 24 1080 120 hrtz max sized monitor. Would like to over clock get the high fps. But I'm assuming that heat really becomes a issue. Then would it be better to spend the extra money for the 670, if using at times with a monitor. I would like to stay away from fast battery drain as well, no where to charge on airplanes etc. where it seems the 670 might not work out as well. Well I guess what I'm trying to say is best gpu 15.6 pc for highest res. , and lowest battery drain. Then alternatives look for higher celled batterys etc. Got a old laptop looking forward to getting a new one, cant even play games the lag is killing me, set at lowest resolution. Would like a 1000 + to go further than just 6 months, I still need money to buy games to play on the pc.


Well... with a laptop you're going to be outdated rather fast, but it's more forgiving in the long run when compared to a high-end PC that's got some new component that comes out every 6 months. If it matters, the GTX 580M came out around August-September last year... so 7-8 months is when the new flagship GPU comes out for laptops vs 5-6 months with desktops. thumb.gif Always good to know.


As for a Gaming Laptop, you want a machine that can play games at the highest-near highest settings without a problem correct? Hmm... Off the top of my head I've got three machines that instantly come to mind. Also, the 670M would be the GPU you would want to pick if you want to game at high resolutions. Mind you, the 670M is a 570M with a clock increase up to 620/1240/1500 vs 575/1150/1500. No voltage change, but the drivers are more efficient so there is a little boost there too. However, after the clock push the difference becomes null.

As for the dedicated screen, I think it's worth it if you're playing on a larger TV or something and playing on your couch... but not if it's right in front of you since the monitor has to be higher than the laptop to keep it from obstructing your view. It's a little clunky at best. I say it's not worth it overall.

In order from most preferred to least preferred:

#1 - ASUS G55VW-RS71
#2 - FORCE 16F3
#3 - Sager NP9130 or Malibal Lotus P150EM-SE

The first pick has the best layout in terms of portability and power. Two drive bays that support SATA III are included along with native USB 3.0 support. The 660M is within 10% of the 670M but draws significantly less power. thumb.gif That and it comes stock with an IB quad, but you can downgrade to the 2670QM if you want, knocking off $80, which isn't a bad idea if you've got a fixed budget. Supports Optimus GPU switching.

The second pick's limitation is a weak hard drive (5400RPM) and can be considered a hinder to most users. However, it does feature two drive bays and the 670M like you want. Also, the 670M comes with Optimus as well so you won't suffer bad battery for watching movies or something.

The third pick is a toss-up between two sellers. Sager and Malibal both use the same Clevo-based platform so their prices are similar, with the pricing in Malibal's favor slightly. However both of these machines only feature one HDD bay and the GPU, while also a 670M, cannot be upgraded via option. It's physically the same as the bigger brothers, the NP9150 and Lotus P150EM respectively, but has fewer options for changes. These support Optimus GPU switching.


I would recommend the ASUS G55 because it looks cool and because it offers the best of both worlds. You get the new IB CPU and the new 2GB GTX 660M with support for Optimus. Mind you, with beta drivers the GTX 660M is within ~10% of the 670M. When the drivers mature to something more stable, that'll push the 660M ahead of the 670M. It happened with the 570M vs the 6970M. Now the 670M is the matured 570M, with a little clock boost for incentive, and it soundly trounces the 6970M without a problem. thumb.gif

SKYNET Mobile v3.0
(12 items)
Inspiring Greatness
(13 items)
CPU
i7-8750H @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard
Intel HM370
GPU
6GB GTX 1060
RAM
32GB DDR4 2666
Hard Drive
256GB SSD
Hard Drive
500GB Samsung 840 Pro
Power Supply
180w Power Adapter
Case
Tongfang GK5CN6Z
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
1920x1080 144hz IPS Display
Mouse
Logitech G502 Proteus
Mousepad
Xtrac Ripper
CPU
Intel Core i5-6300HQ
Motherboard
Dell Proprietary
GPU
4GB Nvidia GTX 960M
RAM
Samsung 12GB (1x8GB 1x4GB) DDR3L 1600 MHz
Hard Drive
256GB SanDisk M.2 SSD
Hard Drive
1TB HGST 7.2k HDD
Power Supply
130w PSU
Cooling
Custom Cooling by Dell Solutions
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
Monitor
15.6" 1920x1080 IPS Screen
Keyboard
Dell
Mouse
Logitech G602 Wireless
Mouse
Xtrac 'Ripper' Mouse Pad
▲ hide details ▲
Imglidinhere is offline  
post #25 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 05:10 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 441
Rep: 10 (Unique: 6)
I didn't post the snyde remarks toward you, just to everyone, trying to pry real info. Figuring some body knows something. Its frustrating making the dollars work, then the fear, If I spend 1000 to 1500 on a machine I've never seen, then have to send it back because of heating issues or it wont work or do the things I payed for it do. Then feeling like I'm going to piss in the box send it back, have to wait 2-3 months because of pc turn around and the fact of working 1000 + miles from home, not being able to pick it up. Then the manufacturer doesn't want to send you a new pc because you pissed on the last one. Well when you go out spending hours looking at reviews and benchmarks that don't tell you what you want to know, it hardly seems like the trouble for 1500 dollars and playing ship date so its there when you want it. LIke true definition to bench marks would help, like laptop benchmark and external monitor benchmark, and at the point the image will drop. I love the gaming don't get me wrong but real work that goes on out there, it really helps at the end of the day to catch up on what you have to, with the eye relief of bigger monitors. Then for a few moments you can feel like your at home sweet home, using your laptop in the fashion you use your liquid tower. Movies games having fun overclocking and attempted mods. Which seems like a drain, laptops can only be configured so little.
I really was thinking 650m with Sager 6165, but if a 660/670 with full time ddr5 is better, Or Alien ware 14x or the thinner ASUS N56VZ-DS71 more expensive pc's but it wont feel like your caring around a cinder block like the 17 and 18 inch. It was heat being a concern, cant always whip out some pain in the a$$ laptop cooler, Pack enough ***** with out another 20pds. just to cool a laptop.
Thanx for the information, and the attempt to get it all by starting the fourm.
Petey is offline  
post #26 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 09:13 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 441
Rep: 10 (Unique: 6)
Jr broad77 thanks for the link missed first time around, that format and list of games really helps. I searched the web and best I found was ranking by benchmark, unaware of bechmarking in laptops, and what the numbers actually mean. It just looks like there showing what gpu is better, well the model Numbers tell you that. My laptop is too old to even compare, in relation to gaming, or anything with a graphics load there's nothing to go on, like what game works and what one doesn't. As this site explains http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html Had to post it again, way to cool.
Petey is offline  
post #27 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 10:33 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
UnAimed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Spain (I'm originally from the Netherlands)
Posts: 3,080
Rep: 98 (Unique: 90)
I'm stuck between choosing the MSI GT60/GT70 and the Asus G55VW/G75VW

So far I have looked at it this way

  • MSI seems to have better specs for the price
  • MSI has optimus
  • MSI had no soldered GPU? So it should be upgradeable?
  • Asus has superior cooling
  • Asus has nvidia 3D with lightboost
  • Asus seems to have better built quality and overal design is nicer

Which one would you pick? Because I am still not really sure, both seem to be great and I do not want to buy one of those barebones laptopts So it really comes down to these two or an alienware unless I missed some other big brands producing similar equipped machines. Thanks in advance thumb.gif

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G75VW/

http://www.msi.com/product/nb/GT60-0NC.html

I think people need to forget about logos and evaluate products based on how it meets their personal needs. If you do that - you can't go wrong.

UnAimed is offline  
post #28 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter
Laptop Enthusiast
 
Imglidinhere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 9,159
Rep: 446 (Unique: 332)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnAimed View Post

I'm stuck between choosing the MSI GT60/GT70 and the Asus G55VW/G75VW
So far I have looked at it this way
  • MSI seems to have better specs for the price
  • MSI has optimus
  • MSI had no soldered GPU? So it should be upgradeable?
  • Asus has superior cooling
  • Asus has nvidia 3D with lightboost
  • Asus seems to have better built quality and overal design is nicer
Which one would you pick? Because I am still not really sure, both seem to be great and I do not want to buy one of those barebones laptopts So it really comes down to these two or an alienware unless I missed some other big brands producing similar equipped machines. Thanks in advance thumb.gif
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G75VW/
http://www.msi.com/product/nb/GT60-0NC.html

Well, one link is a 17.3" machine and the other is a 15.6" machine. If you're saying the MSI has a lower price, well... it's because it's smaller... >.>

As far as what I would pick? What's your budget?

SKYNET Mobile v3.0
(12 items)
Inspiring Greatness
(13 items)
CPU
i7-8750H @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard
Intel HM370
GPU
6GB GTX 1060
RAM
32GB DDR4 2666
Hard Drive
256GB SSD
Hard Drive
500GB Samsung 840 Pro
Power Supply
180w Power Adapter
Case
Tongfang GK5CN6Z
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
1920x1080 144hz IPS Display
Mouse
Logitech G502 Proteus
Mousepad
Xtrac Ripper
CPU
Intel Core i5-6300HQ
Motherboard
Dell Proprietary
GPU
4GB Nvidia GTX 960M
RAM
Samsung 12GB (1x8GB 1x4GB) DDR3L 1600 MHz
Hard Drive
256GB SanDisk M.2 SSD
Hard Drive
1TB HGST 7.2k HDD
Power Supply
130w PSU
Cooling
Custom Cooling by Dell Solutions
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
Monitor
15.6" 1920x1080 IPS Screen
Keyboard
Dell
Mouse
Logitech G602 Wireless
Mouse
Xtrac 'Ripper' Mouse Pad
▲ hide details ▲
Imglidinhere is offline  
post #29 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 08:48 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
UnAimed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Spain (I'm originally from the Netherlands)
Posts: 3,080
Rep: 98 (Unique: 90)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imglidinhere View Post

Well, one link is a 17.3" machine and the other is a 15.6" machine. If you're saying the MSI has a lower price, well... it's because it's smaller... >.>
As far as what I would pick? What's your budget?

I named both models of each brand (15" and 17") however I just posted the two links to show the specs, the pricing is not on the websites so I thought it was irrelevant. Anyway here is the second link for the MSI 17 inch

http://www.msi.com/product/nb/GT70-0NC.html

I just wanted to know which of these two would you pick (choosing in the same screen size of course, Asus 15 inch vs msi 15 inch etc..) judging by price/performance and the quality of the laptops (I need it to last for a quite a while)

The budget is around 1500/1600 tops. I am open to any other suggestions too but like I mentioned in the first post, I am not really interested in the barebones stuff. Thanks in advance smile.gif

I think people need to forget about logos and evaluate products based on how it meets their personal needs. If you do that - you can't go wrong.

UnAimed is offline  
post #30 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 06:49 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
CaucasianAsian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 185
Rep: 3 (Unique: 2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imglidinhere View Post

In order from most preferred to least preferred:
#1 - ASUS G55VW-RS71
#2 - FORCE 16F3
#3 - Sager NP9130 or Malibal Lotus P150EM-SE
The first pick has the best layout in terms of portability and power. Two drive bays that support SATA III are included along with native USB 3.0 support. The 660M is within 10% of the 670M but draws significantly less power. thumb.gif That and it comes stock with an IB quad, but you can downgrade to the 2670QM if you want, knocking off $80, which isn't a bad idea if you've got a fixed budget. Supports Optimus GPU switching.
The second pick's limitation is a weak hard drive (5400RPM) and can be considered a hinder to most users. However, it does feature two drive bays and the 670M like you want. Also, the 670M comes with Optimus as well so you won't suffer bad battery for watching movies or something.
The third pick is a toss-up between two sellers. Sager and Malibal both use the same Clevo-based platform so their prices are similar, with the pricing in Malibal's favor slightly. However both of these machines only feature one HDD bay and the GPU, while also a 670M, cannot be upgraded via option. It's physically the same as the bigger brothers, the NP9150 and Lotus P150EM respectively, but has fewer options for changes. These support Optimus GPU switching.
I would recommend the ASUS G55 because it looks cool and because it offers the best of both worlds. You get the new IB CPU and the new 2GB GTX 660M with support for Optimus. Mind you, with beta drivers the GTX 660M is within ~10% of the 670M. When the drivers mature to something more stable, that'll push the 660M ahead of the 670M. It happened with the 570M vs the 6970M. Now the 670M is the matured 570M, with a little clock boost for incentive, and it soundly trounces the 6970M without a problem. thumb.gif

I liked your first choice. I've been looking for somthing similar for my GF to use so we could play games together. I've actually torn between that G55VW you linked and this other I put together on AVADirect. ( listed below )

CLEVO P151EM 15.6"
INTEL Core™ i7-3610QM Quad-Core 2.3 - 3.3GHz TB, HD Graphics 4000, 6MB L3 Cache, 22nm, 45W
INNOVATION COOLING Diamond Thermal Compound, CPU & GPU
NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 670M 1.5GB GDDR5 Mobile Graphics Card for P151EM
DDR3 8GB (2 x 4GB) PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz SDRAM SODIMM
HDD Seagate 500GB Momentus® XT, 7200 RPM, 32MB cache, 4GB Hybrid SLC SSD, 2.5-Inch, SATA 3 Gb/s
CLEVO Dual Layer Super-Multi DVD±RW Optical Drive
NETWORK Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet LAN Card
WIRELESS Wireless 802.11b/g/n LAN Card and Bluetooth Module
MICROSOFT Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition
WARRANTY Standard 1-Year Warranty for Clevo Notebooks

I know you said that the 660M would eventually be able to run like a 670M once drivers mature. But wouldn't that be the same for the 670M? The Clevo tops out at $1,344.00 which is the peak of my budget. 15.6 is my ideal screen size too. I built the G55 with all the same parts as the Clevo but it is showing $1,427.00. With my limited knowledge of gaming PCs I feel that the Clevo from AVADirect would be a better deal correct? I know the G55 has great cooling, but the Clevo i'm not too sure about. Which is touchy for me because I know I will want to overclock the laptop when the time comes.
CaucasianAsian is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off