Thinking about a chromebook - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Thinking about a chromebook

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
Linux > All

Rep: 60 (Unique: 55)
Thinking about a chromebook

I'm thinking about downgrading my laptop. Selling it and getting an inexpensive Chromebook. I don't play games and my usage has pretty much just turned to a time waster. I'd like a machine that I can take notes on, maybe run an app or two from the Play Store. I have 2 questions.

First off, can a Chromebook run offline? Where I would be taking notes with Docs I likely wouldn't have network connection. So I'd need it to work like my tablet.

Second, I need one that can run Play Store apps. One in particular but that is essential. If I can't find one I'll just get a basic small laptop from Dell and use Windows 10. Would prefer not to go that route though.

Anyone know of any relatively inexpensive Chromebooks that fit these 2 requirements? Or in the case of the first one, do they even work like that. I have no clue having been running Linux for a few years now. I've no idea how a chromebook works.

yessir.gif[Free Your Mind!]yessir.gif
devil.gif
echo"The`uname`Club"devil.gif

"Figure out everything you want in life right now, then plan on spending the next 25 years getting it piece by piece..."

Think Different. List of Linux System Builders / Retailers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 01:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 60 (Unique: 46)
Quote: Originally Posted by Tadaen Sylvermane View Post
I'm thinking about downgrading my laptop. Selling it and getting an inexpensive Chromebook. I don't play games and my usage has pretty much just turned to a time waster. I'd like a machine that I can take notes on, maybe run an app or two from the Play Store. I have 2 questions.

First off, can a Chromebook run offline? Where I would be taking notes with Docs I likely wouldn't have network connection. So I'd need it to work like my tablet.

Second, I need one that can run Play Store apps. One in particular but that is essential. If I can't find one I'll just get a basic small laptop from Dell and use Windows 10. Would prefer not to go that route though.

Anyone know of any relatively inexpensive Chromebooks that fit these 2 requirements? Or in the case of the first one, do they even work like that. I have no clue having been running Linux for a few years now. I've no idea how a chromebook works.

yes, they can run offline, no problem.

My little niece has a Lenovo C330 Chromebook, I believe they're about 199?, i think it was a 13 or 14 inch screen, but it's pretty nice, she has had no issues with it at all.

what is the app that it'll be using on your second question?

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
Linux > All

Rep: 60 (Unique: 55)
2 apps in particular, one associated with my religious organization. One was going to be Juice SSH however I've learned there is an ssh extension for chrome. The other is JW Library.

yessir.gif[Free Your Mind!]yessir.gif
devil.gif
echo"The`uname`Club"devil.gif

"Figure out everything you want in life right now, then plan on spending the next 25 years getting it piece by piece..."

Think Different. List of Linux System Builders / Retailers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in