New Laptop (desktop replacement) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

New Laptop (desktop replacement)

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 174 (Unique: 151)
New Laptop (desktop replacement)

So im looking for areal laptop for the first time. i will be using it for some lighter gaming and some render workloads. I would like to keep it under 4k but the right laptop is the right laptop.

My list of requirements

120hz+ screen
Raytracing
6 cores min
16gb ram
thunderbolt
wifi6
4+ hours battery

List of wants
32gb ram
8cores
144hz
RGB

I would prefer an msi laptop as it would look nice beside my build... however i really dont care for brand. I have tried looking on my own but the world has changed since i even considered a laptop (last one was a first gen i7) Reviews are so mixed for absolutely everything online. So im turning to you, the pros. I would also love something i can take apart and tinker with from time to time as i may wish to upgrade parts. Storage size is of no concern... everything is streamed these days and for security i do not store any data on any mobile devices i won anyways so even a 120gb ssd would be enough space for me

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 07:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Hello,

To start off what is your budget?

If a little below 2k EUR would be okay then I have something very interesting for you:

https://dreammachines.pl/en/configurator/RT2070-15EU27

You can configure it to have wifi 6, more ram and 144 Hz screen.

I have an RG2060 15EU27 laptop from this company and I am happy with my choice. Enjoy

You could also go for ASUS Zephyrus https://www.amazon.com/Zephyrus-i7-8...07KS1JF2H?th=1
though not sure wheather it has Wifi 6.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 07:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

If you can wait, Nvidia's Studio laptop line up should be released before the end of the year.

I'm excited for Razer's Blade Pro 17 Studio Edition.

UHD 120 Hz OLED
i9-9880H 8 cores/16 threads
Quadro RTX 5000 mobile
32 GB DDR4 standard
Thunderbolt 3
1 TB NVMe standard

Unsure if it has Wifi 6. Will definitely be expensive, I'm hoping for under $5K. Besides the beastly specs I, I like the chassis design.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 174 (Unique: 151)
Quote: Originally Posted by marand97 View Post
Hello,

To start off what is your budget?

If a little below 2k EUR would be okay then I have something very interesting for you:

https://dreammachines.pl/en/configurator/RT2070-15EU27

You can configure it to have wifi 6, more ram and 144 Hz screen.

I have an RG2060 15EU27 laptop from this company and I am happy with my choice. Enjoy [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

You could also go for ASUS Zephyrus https://www.amazon.com/Zephyrus-i7-8...07KS1JF2H?th=1
though not sure wheather it has Wifi 6.
Looking around the 3to 4k cdn range... Gotta be able to get it in Canada too but very sweet looking laptops.

Quote: Originally Posted by D-S-J View Post
If you can wait, Nvidia's Studio laptop line up should be released before the end of the year.

I'm excited for Razer's Blade Pro 17 Studio Edition.

UHD 120 Hz OLED
i9-9880H 8 cores/16 threads
Quadro RTX 5000 mobile
32 GB DDR4 standard
Thunderbolt 3
1 TB NVMe standard

Unsure if it has Wifi 6. Will definitely be expensive, I'm hoping for under $5K. Besides the beastly specs I, I like the chassis design.
How do the quattro mobile cards hold up in lighter gaming? Any personal experience with them? I have to admit looks very very nice

I am Dyslexi-OC if i make a typo just deal with it lol

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Onions View Post
How do the quattro mobile cards hold up in lighter gaming? Any personal experience with them? I have to admit looks very very nice
Sorry, I have no personal experience with Quadro mobile gpus. I only have experience with Quadro desktop gpus. I have a GTX 1080 and a relative owns a Quadro P5000. Both are technically the same card geared towards different workloads. Gaming wise the Quadro P5000 is no GTX 1080, but more similar to a GTX 1070 in my opinion. My expectation is that when the Quadro RTX 5000 mobile is released, it might perform similar to a RTX 2070 mobile.

I expect the Quadro RTX 5000 mobile should have no issue with 1080p 60fps ultra for a majority of the titles out there, not including DXR titles. It should hit 1080p 120fps in some titles especially E-sports titles. 1440p 60fps should be okay for some titles. UHD would definitely suffer, though I'm sure some older games can hit UHD 60fps. I'm unsure if the screens on the studio laptops will be G-sync. There's a high chance some will. I will be waiting for reviews, even though I know those will be uncommon. Workstation equipment reviews simply don't get the same coverage gaming does.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Onions View Post
So im looking for areal laptop for the first time. i will be using it for some lighter gaming and some render workloads. I would like to keep it under 4k but the right laptop is the right laptop.

My list of requirements

120hz+ screen
Raytracing
6 cores min
16gb ram
thunderbolt
wifi6
4+ hours battery

List of wants
32gb ram
8cores
144hz
RGB

I would prefer an msi laptop as it would look nice beside my build... however i really dont care for brand. I have tried looking on my own but the world has changed since i even considered a laptop (last one was a first gen i7) Reviews are so mixed for absolutely everything online. So im turning to you, the pros. I would also love something i can take apart and tinker with from time to time as i may wish to upgrade parts. Storage size is of no concern... everything is streamed these days and for security i do not store any data on any mobile devices i won anyways so even a 120gb ssd would be enough space for me

Hi

Listen up, I 've checked and right now for the Dream Machines Clevo based laptops there is a possibility of applying a Wifi 6 modem into it. As a customised laptop you can order it from their site. That might be a thing for you to consider.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in