Data Science student looking for new laptop - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Data Science student looking for new laptop

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
bdpinko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 7
Rep: 0
on the other hand... this is a bit more modest, and costs $2377 plus tax... still powerful (from Sager)

Components
- 9th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-9750H Processor ( 12MB Smart Cache, 2.60GHz )
- 17.3" Full HD 144Hz, Wide View Angle 72% NTSC Matte Display with G-SYNC Technology (1920 x 1080)
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 GPU with 8GB GDDR6 Video Memory
- Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU [+$45.00]
- Windows® 10 Home 64-Bit Edition Preinstalled
- Windows® 10 64-Bit Edition USB Recovery Media [+$25.00]
- 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 SDRAM at 3000MHz - 2 X 16GB [+$170.00]
- 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD [+$65.00]
- 1TB FireCuda SSHD Drive [+$75.00]
- Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 9560 M.2 AC Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Module
Software & Services
- Sager 2 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty [+$99.00]
- Rush Order Service - Guaranteed shipping within 2 business days of your order (not including day of order) [+$49.00]

Versus this one (both from Sager)

Components
- 9th Generation Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor ( 8 Cores, 16MB Smart Cache, 3.60GHz Base / 5.00GHz Max ) [+$100.00]
- 17.3" Full HD 144Hz, Wide View Angle 72% NTSC Matte Display with G-SYNC Technology (1920 x 1080)
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 GPU with 8GB GDDR6 Video Memory Back Order! (ETA: 08/30/2019)
- Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU [+$45.00]
- Windows® 10 Home 64-Bit Edition Preinstalled
- Windows® 10 64-Bit Edition USB Recovery Media [+$25.00]
- 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 SDRAM at 3000MHz - 2 X 16GB [+$170.00]
- 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD [+$65.00]
- 1TB FireCuda SSHD Drive [+$75.00]
- Killer Dual Band Wireless-AC 1550 M.2 AC Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Module

which is $2829 (and that's without the Rush or the 2yr warranty!) -- but it's got the i9 processor

Last edited by bdpinko; 08-24-2019 at 11:46 PM.
bdpinko is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:51 AM
Senior Moderators
 
mega_option101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 23,432
Quote: Originally Posted by bdpinko View Post
on the other hand... this is a bit more modest, and costs $2377 plus tax... still powerful (from Sager)

Components
- 9th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-9750H Processor ( 12MB Smart Cache, 2.60GHz )
- 17.3" Full HD 144Hz, Wide View Angle 72% NTSC Matte Display with G-SYNC Technology (1920 x 1080)
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 GPU with 8GB GDDR6 Video Memory
- Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU [+$45.00]
- Windows® 10 Home 64-Bit Edition Preinstalled
- Windows® 10 64-Bit Edition USB Recovery Media [+$25.00]
- 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 SDRAM at 3000MHz - 2 X 16GB [+$170.00]
- 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD [+$65.00]
- 1TB FireCuda SSHD Drive [+$75.00]
- Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 9560 M.2 AC Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Module
Software & Services
- Sager 2 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty [+$99.00]
- Rush Order Service - Guaranteed shipping within 2 business days of your order (not including day of order) [+$49.00]

Versus this one (both from Sager)

Components
- 9th Generation Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor ( 8 Cores, 16MB Smart Cache, 3.60GHz Base / 5.00GHz Max ) [+$100.00]
- 17.3" Full HD 144Hz, Wide View Angle 72% NTSC Matte Display with G-SYNC Technology (1920 x 1080)
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 GPU with 8GB GDDR6 Video Memory Back Order! (ETA: 08/30/2019)
- Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU [+$45.00]
- Windows® 10 Home 64-Bit Edition Preinstalled
- Windows® 10 64-Bit Edition USB Recovery Media [+$25.00]
- 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 SDRAM at 3000MHz - 2 X 16GB [+$170.00]
- 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD [+$65.00]
- 1TB FireCuda SSHD Drive [+$75.00]
- Killer Dual Band Wireless-AC 1550 M.2 AC Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Module

which is $2829 (and that's without the Rush or the 2yr warranty!) -- but it's got the i9 processor
Essentially 607$ more for the i9 option with all things equally considered. You could further save by not putting a rush and buying the warranty as well. Doesn't seem like it would be worth it considering you dropped it from your i9 option. Therefore, it could total 2,227$ for you to have the i7 model... It is still 727$ above your price range, is there anything else you feel you could cut back on? The extra 1TB drive perhaps?


mega_option101 is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
bdpinko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 7
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by mega_option101 View Post
Essentially 607$ more for the i9 option with all things equally considered. You could further save by not putting a rush and buying the warranty as well. Doesn't seem like it would be worth it considering you dropped it from your i9 option. Therefore, it could total 2,227$ for you to have the i7 model... It is still 727$ above your price range, is there anything else you feel you could cut back on? The extra 1TB drive perhaps?
I was so sure a couple days ago I had to have the i9-9900, now i'm questioning that. It's between i9-9900K, i7-9700K and i7-9750H. Other than that I have my mind made up on all the rest. 1TB backup drive seems like a good idea to contain datasets and whatnot. I might do some video editing at some point, (I used to do a lot, and my Phenom 1090T did an adequate job at it). I don't mind spending the extra upfront for a powerful machine that will last a while. Today I'm really leaning towards the better value of the i7-9700K (fewer threads but higher clock speed, and unlocked, though in a laptop I don't expect to overclock by much). I'd only get half the threads of the 9900 but so many programs don't take advantage of multi-threading (including Python unless you employ a multithreading library -- which I learned in my cursory research --, which is the language I'll most likely be using a lot).

I just have to decide between the 3 build companies I'm looking at, too: Sager, Xotic and Gentech. They all have their pros and cons.

I'll call Gentech and Xotic and see what they have to say tomorrow. Hopefully I'll pull the trigger tomorrow. I think Sager has the GTX 2070 on backorder, so they're out of the running. The builds I'm looking at now are about $2700 before tax. NP9176-G2 is the Sager/Clevo model#.
bdpinko is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 12:34 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
marand97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 64
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by bdpinko View Post
Yes you definitely helped! So i was in a spiral of decision making and actually ordered an asus rog machine, which i sent back because it benchmarked pretty slow (that decision cost me $200 over at newegg...). then i ordered an msi gs75 from CUK (also thru newegg) but after a full week they had not shipped it so i cancelled that ordered and got a full refund.

If you're still reading, you're a saint, thank you. I ordered another msi gs75 from amazon, but it had the GTX 2070 max Q instead of the full 2070, so i shipped that back and i expect full credit from a very kind reseller on amazon (excalibur pc).

Since then i've done more research and decided to spend a bit more and get the
i9-9900k processor (why not have the best!)
GTX 2070 (full version) gpu
32mb ram in dual 16gb sticks @300 0MHz
500GB Samsung EVO Plus SSD
1 TB firecuda SSHD
... and all of that with upgraded thermal paste to keep it all running as cool as possible.

Those options would be very pricey from a name brand, so i'm looking at a custom build from GentechPC, ProStar, Sager or most likely XOTIC (the latter seems to have the best prices and some extras like OS boost and overclocking in the bios). I've included a screenshot of the selected options.

What do you think?

It'll be about $3000 incl tax, a bit more than i expected but i think the i0-9900K will serve me better than the i7-9750H.



Hi in this case if you need a good laptop you can configure yourself one here:


https://dreammachines.pl/en/configurator/RX2070-15NA18


https://dreammachines.pl/en/configurator/RX2070-17NA18


I would honestly reccomend you these two models to base on. I know the guys from Dream Machines so I can reccomend them personally to you If you would like the prema bios which enables you to overlock your CPU and RAM there is sucha possibility with it. Runs smooth on these models Thermal grease - whichever you want, no problem with that and everything at fair price- below 3000$.
marand97 is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 09:20 PM
Senior Moderators
 
mega_option101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 23,432
Quote: Originally Posted by bdpinko View Post
I was so sure a couple days ago I had to have the i9-9900, now i'm questioning that. It's between i9-9900K, i7-9700K and i7-9750H. Other than that I have my mind made up on all the rest. 1TB backup drive seems like a good idea to contain datasets and whatnot. I might do some video editing at some point, (I used to do a lot, and my Phenom 1090T did an adequate job at it). I don't mind spending the extra upfront for a powerful machine that will last a while. Today I'm really leaning towards the better value of the i7-9700K (fewer threads but higher clock speed, and unlocked, though in a laptop I don't expect to overclock by much). I'd only get half the threads of the 9900 but so many programs don't take advantage of multi-threading (including Python unless you employ a multithreading library -- which I learned in my cursory research --, which is the language I'll most likely be using a lot).

I just have to decide between the 3 build companies I'm looking at, too: Sager, Xotic and Gentech. They all have their pros and cons.

I'll call Gentech and Xotic and see what they have to say tomorrow. Hopefully I'll pull the trigger tomorrow. I think Sager has the GTX 2070 on backorder, so they're out of the running. The builds I'm looking at now are about $2700 before tax. NP9176-G2 is the Sager/Clevo model#.
I wish you the best! I hope that you will be confident in the decision that you make and will be able to accomplish all your projects with this laptop!


mega_option101 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off